What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    There are several sources on Ebay that seem to be companies that buy up surplus parts from distributors and dealerships, mostly for older models that are disappearing into the crusher. Makes sense that this business would exist. I have bought things for 15 year old vehicles that way and gotten OEM and good quality pieces. Even Chinese companies aren't going to bother making parts for fading away cars and bikes.

Bearings are almost all commodities, and if you have the old one you can get a replacement from industrial suppliers without going to a car parts source.
    Night_Wolf and NurseBill like this.
  2. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Back to cleaning the shop . Amazing the stuff that gathers in 35 years . Hauled 3 bobcat buckets full of burnable stuff . Found records of my fathers quarry operation he started in 1946 . In 1948 there was 47 men on the payroll which as pretty good for a population of 15,500 . Also ran across the testimony of about his kidnapping trial in 1952 where he and two other mine operators hauled a labor organizer off to the next county . Should be interesting reading.

Anyone need a stock turbo off a 1996 12 valve Dodge Cummins ? About 35,000 miles on it before putting on a Banks kit . how about a GIVI bag rack for a FJ 1200 ? And why do I have a complete set of seatbelts for a 2002 GM product ? Set of stock mufflers for a DL 1000 ? 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket full of concrete anchors ?
  3. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I can't complain to much as he's her only brother I get along with and let's me store my bike for free in his storage unit all winter.
    HapHazard and armith like this.
  4. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several years ago i bought a set of struts for my wife's Ford Freestar off Ebay. They were OEM leftover with springs and everything. Very reasonable. The good thing about wheel bearings, especially for FWD cars come in a carrier is they fit a multitude of vehicles and that part doesn't seem to change.
    local1 likes this.
  5. goatroper

goatroper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a '61 T20 SL, so you get all the points. I don't have tach or cable. It looked mostly complete in flat black when I bought it but still seemed to need everything.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  6. Cubfan

Cubfan Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    there's a guy on Ebay with a cable, cam and engine cover that's been advertised for over two years now at $900, think he just lowered it to 800. Gets more reasonable at about $300. don't know whatit would be for just the cable and cam. Is your speedo D shape or round? You could pick up an ok plain engine cover for the time being cheap if you don't mind a little elbow grease. They look pretty good with just a vapor hone job even when they're well used as they should be. Anyway, you're looking good and probably smiling after a test ride.
  7. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Honey Badger

Oddometer:
    Not exactly IN the garage, but I made several trips to and from the garage for this project. The fence we had put up last year had no way to access the furthest reaches of our yard without going outside the fence at the front and walking around it through 300' of poisen ivy and critter infested woods.

So today I cut the fence (livestock wire) and installed a "gate". Since it will only get used once a year or so, I didn't use a traditional gate.

IMG_20200804_165724.jpg IMG_20200804_170056.jpg
    ausfahrt, Hanz and VEGASHOTWHEELER like this.
  8. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Honey Badger

Oddometer:
    The bkue line is the approximate fenced area. Red is our property line.

Screenshot_20200804-175250.jpg
    whodat90 likes this.
  9. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worked on my anvil for a while before I got to the lawn mowing.
    BA385C4F-9252-4780-9559-CA95AED5C3BB.jpeg E41E49F7-51D6-436D-9E40-2ED6B1AFB8BB.jpeg B7F2D5D1-3FDB-452A-8788-F984600D0617.jpeg 22AE01D6-C29E-4FD6-BC0D-713E405B215C.jpeg
    I still need to get part of the top milled flat.
  10. whodat90

whodat90 Corporal of Industry

Oddometer:
    No real bike work as my “job” rather rudely expected me to “work”. Then when I got home I had to load the truck to take my youngest back to college tomorrow. I did get a chance to look at the cr125’s forks since I had to take them off the cart I’m using to carry all her crap up to her apartment. Not a bit of oil left in them, so the front end was full pogo stick. Add it to the list. But my new rear wheel bearings arrived today, so there’s that.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. Same daughter came home with a 14x20” ceramic pressing of some French advertisement somethingorother and had no idea how to hang it. I picked up some 1/2” aluminum U-channel, cut, bent and welded it into a frame. Not welds that’s I’m willing to share, but welds I’m not overtly hiding by burying in the yard so I consider it a success. Me and aluminum Tig welding are not friends yet, but I think we may have just become casual acquaintances.
  11. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    Richy likes this.
  12. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m going to do about half of the top, opposite of the point.
    HapHazard and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    jeez, now I need an anvil.....
    cal08, Richy, dtysdalx2 and 4 others like this.
  14. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    I've had track laying around in the garage for almost a year and a half now....really need to grind on it.
    Richy likes this.
  15. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally took possession of my '08 CS last night. First thing I did was to check the tires and, of course, the dealer had aired them up to stratospheric proportions. Set them to 30f/36r as per the door sticker and then proceeded to get my first dash warning experience....underinflated tires... '-4' front left and right! Plus the big red '!' sign. Of course, at this point the car is new enough to me that I don't know the ins, outs and frustrations of everything, so I re-check the pressures (they were set correctly), drove it (with the warnings still big and bold). Then parked it for the night and read the owners manual...which in itself is an exercise in frustrations. 'Push the lower lever forward, pull the lower lever back'....is forward towards me? Forward as in towards the dash? Aaaargh! Live and learn.

So, this morning I go out to the garage, check the oil level, then proceed to reset the TPMS and start over. 19" summer tires, yada-yada. I then go for a short drive, dash is telling me that the TPMS isn't available because its 'relearning', but notice that both right side tires are showing correct pressures while left side are still blank '-'. Gotta go to work, so no time to drive further. We'll pick this up again when I get home tonight. Guess I'll find out if the system relearns when things are shut down, do I need to take if for another drive (I will anyway), or do I have to start over with the reset? Gotta love German Engineering. :bash

On a positive note, my box of maintenance items which I purchased from Rockauto is showing to arrive Friday, so I have a weekend project now!
  16. Tall Man

Tall Man Govern yourself accordingly.

Oddometer:
    My HF lift table has been used for a good number of distinctly non-motorcycle-related projects, to include generator break-in and recurring maintenance. It's particularly handy for displaying stuff during garage sales. Money well spent.
    trumpet, MrCrisper and ausfahrt like this.
  17. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like many here, I discarded the wheel vise that came with my HF lift. I didn't replace it with a better vise but with a chock that I had laying around.
    [​IMG]

I have been using this setup for over a decade.:baldy I know.

After struggling to lift my Ultra last week for a rear tire change I concluded that it was enough already. I finally decided to upgrade and after a few clicks on the Derek Weaver website, I had a new W-vise and a Blackjack lift.
    [​IMG]

I haven't used it yet and I will probably need to add a couple of tiedown rings but it's gotta be better than what I had.
    Ironforge, Richy and HapHazard like this.
  18. C Squared

C Squared Now with TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ loks like what my Forward lift came with.
    ausfahrt and Night_Wolf like this.
  19. Radioaktiv

Radioaktiv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, even when there is no bike on the lift, it pretty much lives in the "up" position as workbench space!
  20. whodat90

whodat90 Corporal of Industry

Oddometer:
    So I got the youngest daughter back to college after a 5 hour (driving) 260 mile round trip. Crazy shelf hung, crap carried up stairs, etc.
    Building:
    [​IMG]Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Installed:

The thing about the shelf is it's made of wood, which if you've never heard of it is awful nasty bad no good terrible stuff that most people burn to get rid of. Not a fan, zero stars. Would not recommend. Makes a mess too.

Speaking of which, I never even realized that bourgouis rich people had their own brand of cutting board.
    https://www.amazon.com/John-Boos-PM1514225-P-Reversible-Cutting/dp/B008MXPW9Q It's a block of awful wood, for crissakes. Anyway, I bought a pair of them at an auction for intensely small money.

My youngest son was very excited about the purchase and took one for his own, this is the one I got. I hit it with the random orbit sander for a while, 40-150 grit and now it's soaking up some tung oil.

jon_l, ausfahrt, Cigar Mike and 4 others like this.