What did you do to your bike today thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by dazza67, Nov 22, 2014.

1. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Ha! BMWMCWA [ I think that was the initials ] I went along ONCE, for a weekend ride, many moons ago when I had an R100RS. Perth to Karratha on Saturday, turn around and ride back the next day. Ridiculous....
  2. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Naw, you couldn’t possibly have done that, the Farriders didn’t exist back then to document it for ya ! !

:imaposer :lol3:jack:rofl

Mad stuff we did in our youth.
    I did a Hedland to Perth non stoppa once, just to get back in time for a party, in the middle of a wet winter !
    Just crazy, stupid stuff.
    david61 likes this.
  3. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that the standard sidestand?. Mine was leaning way over and had to put a hockey puck under it to get it more upright.
  4. david61

Oddometer:
    Not only was it stupid, I couldn't move/walk for a week AND I destroyed a brand new set of Pirelli Phantoms, back when they were the hot ticket. Only the "fast" guys had them. I only discovered recently you can still buy them.
  5. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    After having the new 650 Vstrom for nearly a year. I thought, I should get around to checking the suspension sag. The rear was not enough sag and the forks had too much at 40 mm. The owners manual reckon there is 160mm of travel in the front forks. I reckon closer to 120 mm

A quick cheap old school mod to bring the front fork sag back to 25 mm.

873BDEA5-5904-4B06-BFEA-7F1CDFE81AC9.jpeg
    flinders_72 likes this.
  6. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I measured the front (possible) travel on my first gen SV650 a couple of weeks ago when I took the forks apart for a project and it was around 20mm less than stated by Suzuki. Shifty buggers.
  7. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    What exactly was the mod you made? Spacers or extra fluid?
  8. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Suzuki quote 160 mm for the front fork travel for vstrom 650. I would say there is really only a 120 mm of actual travel. 40 mm of sag is one third of used travel with standard springs.

Vstrom 101- From memory, the standard springs on the 650 vstrom is About .82kg single rate spring. With riding gear on I weigh in the 80 +kg range. For my weight .90kg is about right. With the standard springs are to soft and the oil weight is slightly too hard.

I know it sounds counterintuitive. A slightly heavier spring matches the oil viscosity better and makes a softer ride. Since I don’t weigh a lot. I can get away with a fork spacer. The formula for the 650 generally works out to 2 to 1. If place an 8mm spacer under the fork caps. The sag will decrease by 16mm In the front forks. I had some old fork tube spacer material lying around the garage. Some people use two large washers as the spacers to do the same thing.
  9. farqhuar

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Dan. The reason I ask is because I have done similar things to the front end of my Suzuki Burgman(s), which are notorious for the very limited front end travel. One one bike I added YSS emulators, and consequently needed to shorten the spacers. I added the extra spacer cutoffs to the other bike, and to be honest I think the bike without emulators has the more compliant front end.
  10. DOT

DOT Ready Aye Ready Supporter

Oddometer:
    @A2 yep, standard sidestand, except for the bigger footprint. I still need to give it a heave up when it's fully loaded and 30l fuel on board.....
    Andrew2 likes this.
  11. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers D. You couldn't do me a favour and see what number is printed on the stand could you. I have 2 stands, one from when I put standard GS suspension on for a while, and both have the same numbers and seem too short now that I have the GSA suspension back on. Surely it didn't come from the factory with a standard GS side stand on it??.
  12. farqhuar

Oddometer:
    Knowing BMW, it's quite possible it did. My Sertao had exactly the same sidestand as the base G650GS, and boy did it lean over when parked.
    numbat and Andrew2 like this.
  13. DOT

Oddometer:
    @A2 where are the numbers Andrew? I can't find....unless they are under the bigger footprint?! My stand is 35ish cm from the circlip mounting, the footprint adds another 50ml. A couple of photos to show it and where it sits relative to the exhaust, it doesn't touch the exhaust as is well clear. stand 1.jpg stand 2.jpg
  14. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, you're right it is under the foot. I'll go and measure up.
    DOT likes this.
  15. Eaglebeak

Oddometer:
    Andrew, after I put better (and longer) rear shocks on my Harley Lowrider it leant over a bit more.
    I had a look online for a longer stand and failing to find one I just cut a piece off a Nylon bread board and fitted it as a bigger sidestand footprint.

A cheap fix but it worked fine over the 5 years I had the bike.
    Andrew2 and DOT like this.
  16. DOT

Oddometer:
    A bread board?! Cheap and cheerful, I love it! Does it degrade thru rain, heat, etc? Not that it matters, just cut a bit more...
    OzCRU, Boxa and Andrew2 like this.
  17. Eaglebeak

Oddometer:

You did notice I said a “Nylon” bread board ?

So, no degradation in the rain.
    I never replaced it in the 5-6 years I had the bike.
    DOT likes this.
  18. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'day Andrew, I'm using a hockey puck at the moment. Seems odd that the sidestand is so short. I don't remember it being too short before I put the standard GS suspension on. Maybe I have 3 side stands and the right one is hiding in a corner somewhere:lol3
    tripodtiger and Eaglebeak like this.
  19. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Err built 3 clevis joints threw them in the bin
    Now ...
    20200704_135104.jpg
    Fuck it going to the pub
    Where is this OCR :kat
    Flodder likes this.
  20. david61

Oddometer:
    Tried to pack it all for a trip to Mt Augustus, laid all the stuff I thought I need on the garage table, then collapsed in a heap trying to work out which tent/tarp/sleeping bag/quilt/stove/mattress/pegs/pots/cups/jacket/pants/boots/helmet/rotopax/panniers/tankbag to take.

And so far the toolkit has had 17 revisions and is no closer to resolution....
    tripodtiger and Boxa like this.