What did you do to your bike today thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by dazza67, Nov 22, 2014.

1. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @nevgriff64
    Thank you Thankyou for that link to Mick Hone!!!
    I’ve been chasing GSXR Carb parts & not found anyone with a parts website as easy to use as that one!!
    Just Fantastic, made my day. :-)
    Kiwirich, Dukehunt and nevgriff64 like this.
  2. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    On numerous occasions I've ordered multiple items and as the items arrive I get text messages and emails to let me know that those parts have arrived. On a few occasions I've also got a phone call if there's been a delay and to see if I'd like to either pick the parts up that have arrived, have them post them to me or just wait until until the order is complete. I also only pay for them once they have all arrived. Very unusual in this day and age to have service like that and a a shop that's legitimately keen to help you. First class if you ask me.

My only complaint and not really directed at them as such - parking out the front of their shop can be problematic and most times you'll need to find a space in a back street somewhere and walk. I've been caught out a few times taking the car so now I just ride a bike and park on the footpath out the front. :-)
    Kiwirich, Wodger63 and Dukehunt like this.
  3. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    Yes Nevgriff64, the parking is bad especially since the cafe next door opened.
    I can't agree more, bike shops like Mick Hone's are gold especially if own an older Suzuki.
    Mick and the team have been great looking after "Lana the Katana" with servicing and spare parts over the years.
    Unfortunately I'm now living 3.5 hours drive away from Melbourne so I'm not sure who to trust with servicing Lana, or rather who would be interested enough to do the work.
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  4. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will be postage for the parts for me as I’m in Sydney but I appreciate the recommendation of their service. That’s awesome to get that level of customer service in this day.
    I’ll do my research, add it all up & give them a call. Again thanks!
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  5. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Separate to this discovery of the Suzuki parts I had a little bit of shed time today & got my XT600 started again after months of works fitting a modified TT600R Ohlins rear shock & squeezing it all in there.
    Good Day. Looking forward to getting it back on the road
    DOT, nevgriff64 and BygDaddee like this.
  6. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    The sum of parts and new tyres 6F7249B5-95A2-45FE-A925-D70E3E520A88.jpeg 3D34B937-5180-41ED-9789-01E1AD809BE4.jpeg was a good day in shed. Got frame stripped ready to clean and paint plus bought some gear and fitted new tyres 4EE397F5-2415-426D-9207-6EA1E1F9A931.jpeg
  7. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Started, well continued my pipe guard/bash plate for my IT250 build.

Will be along the lines of the old Whipp's pipe guards. Had one on my WR360.

20200907_162549.jpg 20200907_182002.jpg 20200907_181945.jpg

Going to be a bit of work in this.
    Luckily I don't have much else to do at the moment.
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Yep, lots of work there. Whats the tube your using?
  9. bigborett

Oddometer:
    That's actually 16mm solid there. Using tube for some of the rest and 4mm plate.
    Lots of messing about.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    16mm solid. Your tube bender is doing a good job. You must have had fun tweaking that.
  11. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I've got a press which came in handy.
    The bender is doing fairly well. First time used in anger.
    Plan on doing some soft racks for the SE as well.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  12. Trotski

Trotski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one of those pipe benders, they do a great job, I built a rack for my enfield from 16mm RHS and 12mm round tube using one of these, I'll have to find a picture.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  13. Trotski

Trotski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My home-made rack 20200908_221521.jpg
    tomo8r, bungen, Just Dan and 12 others like this.
  14. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Back to SNAFU.
    The notion is to work on one bike at a time. So how come I was having a peak at the power to the GPS mount, on the TTR, in the middle of painting / baking some mounts for the sidecar, whilst finishing off the steering stop and having a crack at re-doing the front mudguard mounts on the 375.

Result:
    There is discontinuity between the fuse and the plug. TBC.
    The mounts are finished but, there's no point in putting them on the sidecar until I have the bearings and seals from Triumph. TBC.
    I think I've shaved sufficient off the steering stop. Will find out when I get a chance to ride it. TBC.
    I managed to make an under-plate for the mudguard.
    I managed to grab a sheet of 5mm aluminium for the top plate for the mudguard.
    I measured the four mounting points on the forks & they aren't quite square. Go figure. The diagonals differ by about 1.5mm. 7mm holes in lieu of 6mm?
    No wonder nothing I've drilled to this point fits properly.
    This is what happens when one mounts a Suzuki mudguard on Yamaha forks.
    I did manage to do my first cut of the aluminium plate. TBC.

20200909_165252.jpg

And I've been having discussions about decals for the 250. Are the wide tank decals the same as the narrow tank decals? I need to check the tank profile. Work out if Yamaha just made the tank wider or changed the radius. Wider would make my life a bit simpler. I think.
    braaap! and BergDonk like this.
  15. JMick

JMick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Adjusted the Postie bike clutch while doing a service. First time ever, easy.

Bloody hell!, why didn't someone tell me it would improve the clunky gear-change out of sight, it's like a new bike....
    mrsdnf likes this.
  17. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might have stuffed up. Got that ts185 suzuki I bought for grandkids going great. Problem is it goes like a cut snake. I’m thinking it’s all a bit much for them at this stage. Now looking for - say an sl125 or similar. All good fun.
    bungen and Boxa like this.
  18. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I reckon you could manufacture a restrictor/stop screw on the throttle Beet. Check out the Pee Wee 50's restrictor screw.
    braaap! likes this.
  19. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny. Just doing the dishes. Where I do some great thinking. Thought same thing. Thanks for your thoughts.
    On subject of ts. A fair amount of issue was the wrong spark plug that was fitted. I looked at it but read it wrong. Got correct plug and most issues disappeared. Notice to ones self - Double check then check again. All the best
    tripodtiger, bungen, Boxa and 2 others like this.
  20. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    You could try and put a restrictor in the pipe Beet, plug the stinger/outlet and drill a hole in it, if its no good drill a bigger hole. Worth a try, cheap and easy.

When i was working at Suzuki Cornell in the 80's the PE 250 was restricted from the factory by putting a plate with a small hole in it between the barrel and the pipe that was removed at the first service.