What did you do to your bike today thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by dazza67, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bit more cleaning today. Some 50years worth. 2CD6D73D-B9EB-4062-BD92-58F82F3C0E94.jpeg AC6756AA-31E3-4C99-A10E-D9EDA873628D.jpeg
    Also went shopping in town for some bits. No success so I spent a fair amount of time on computer once I got home to source bits. Don’t like saying but I’m getting over the travelling to town. So much simpler to source things myself. The new world.
    mrsdnf, BergDonk, OzCRU and 1 other person like this.
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes but only marginally.

Example
    If we wish to add 90 dB to 96 dB, take the difference in dB (6 dB) and put it in the equation:

L T = 10log(10^6/10 +1) + 90
    = 96.97 dB.

This should be posted in the loud pipes thread so that the Beak can calculate the sum total of all the wankers in Freo.
    richo360 likes this.
  3. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I successfully fixed my dodgy indicator by pressing the globe into the socket more firmly.
  4. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like we need a noise-off?:hmmmmm

Dan's a cunt:deal
    richo360 and mrsdnf like this.
  5. bigborett

Oddometer:
    That is a no contest.
    Richo's 660's hands down. Mind you after giving the old 1190 a crack yesterday it's not to far behind. :-)

[​IMG]
    Andrew2 and Chalkie62 like this.
  6. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    The 790 Duke is offensive, but sweet:nod
    Might just get over the line by sheer numbers (with Jards 4 included)

Yep, that 660 is full-tosser:-)
    richo360 and bigborett like this.
  7. bigborett

Oddometer:
    That's it, I'm going out to start a two stroke. An old one.
    Bluetonguejak and Boxa like this.
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Richo’s 660 has already won. Still, should have a mature responsible full throttle sound off.

Dan’s a cunt.
    richo360 likes this.
  9. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Been nibbling away at my IT250 pipe guard/bash plate.
    Pretty well done now but I'll be giving it a coat of silver to help hide indiscretions.

Not that happy with it. Will do the job, no doubt and the shape is there, but some average welding and should have taken a different tack with a couple of things.
    Certainly won't be redoing it that's for sure. Shit loads of work.
    Should have spent some more time practicing welding the dissimilar sized ally, was bit of a prick at times, and awkward because of the shape, lots of stop start.

If I ever did another one it would be sectional plate with no, or minimal tube/bar. Much easier to fab and weld.

The bike is getting very close to finished for this stage. Won't be touching the motor until it has bit of a run at least, see how she feels.

20200916_202027.jpg 20200916_202040.jpg 20200916_202258.jpg 20200916_202013.jpg
    BergDonk, flinders_72, Boxa and 7 others like this.
  10. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Bigborett you did pretty well considering the complexity of the shape, ally is not an easy material to weld and requires lots and lots of experience and technique as well as high end equipment.
    bigborett and mrsdnf like this.
  11. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.
    Definitely need to get a foot pedal for the machine or convert the one I've got. Would help a lot with running from 16mm solid to tube and plate and to back things off once it all starts to heat up.
    a2zworks and Kiwirich like this.
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Thats one terrific looking bash plate bigborret. Love your work.
    bigborett likes this.
  13. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.

You did it. Didn't buy it.
    Did you design it, even if most if it is an assembly of stuff you've seen elsewhere?
    Welds not 'professional'. Is that because you're not a professional alloy welder? Maybe you didn't use half a dozen jigs to hold it at the correct angles for each weld? It's still way better than what +/- 90% of us here could do. Or even think about doing.
    Are you planning on a production run for retail?
    Give yourself a break.
    Get it dirty, dented and scraped. You wont notice it but will be happy that it's there.
    I reckon it's great.:clap

Of course, if you answer opposite to what I anticipate...:lol3
    a2zworks and bigborett like this.
  14. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Kind words.
    I always get satisfaction out of doing things myself if I can.
    The welds are a little disappointing but not that unexpected. Can do a lot better on straight runs with a bit of fiddling of settings.
    One issue with this was that every second weld was a different type of weld with different thickness materials and that is somewhere a bit more experience and a foot pedal would have helped greatly. Butt welding 2mm wall tube to 16mm solid, then plate to the tube or solid or any combination had me changing settings or preheating(once again the foot controller would have negated the need for this greatly) or stopping to adjust.
    Ran out of gas at one stage and it blew a dirty hole straight through the tube.:baldy Luckily TIG isn't to bad for filling your fuck ups.

Had a vague notion of whipping a couple up while I'm off. No bloody way. Not without jigs, hydraulic bender, forms for the press and perhaps someone else to do the welding.:imaposer
    Could do basic bash plates easily enough but that design was a lot of work and would need a bit of refining before I could unload it onto people.

It's not that bad, a coat of paint, a bit of distance and me not being the critic it will be fine and will do the job nicely.
  15. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mate, looks good. Well done.
    Dans still a cunt.
    mrsdnf, a2zworks and AUSSIEADV like this.
  16. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    Ive inherited a bike. Was going well then did the clutch rivets as it has no cush drive. They were replaced and shortly after the motor locked up.
    I pulled the clutch cover off and found matal fragments in the oil and pretty much every where else. Motor is seized solid, all else looks ok but i noticed that there seems to be an O ring missing between the clutch cover and the where it bolts on, looks like its the main oil feed from the oil pump.
    Ive never worked on one of these before and was wondering if anyone has any any experience with them.

7EDED057-2961-428C-929A-904F616AB96F.jpeg
  17. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the frame back today. Just doing a little refitting. 3D4408A5-34CF-4FF0-A3C8-B6B7FDE692F3.jpeg 29B73AC5-C7E9-4F3E-941B-FA6DA08D2641.jpeg 513759B2-6305-46D2-851D-F5F2D8EA546C.jpeg E6B5ECDD-CD39-484E-BF41-38B148A9A865.jpeg
  18. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also - I started a project that may work. No photos as yet.
    I’m working on turning my Beta 250 Trials bike into a more Trail bike. Cut some panels to fit a seat. My idea is to have a largish space under the seat arrangement to accomodate a fuel bladder and some tools. I had thought to make it a complete fuel tank but my fabrication skill is lacking. See how it goes. Stay tuned. All the best
  19. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I got a little bit of experience with them. I'm guessing that's an 04 TE450 or 510.

From memory they had thin valve steams that liked to snap and destroy the engine (probably already rectified) and I have seen more than one of that vintage that snapped the conrod (I have a snapped conrod out of an 04 SMR450 sitting on my wall beside one from a TC250). Parts are getting scarce because KTM isn't supporting the old Italian Huskys, but a lot of SWM parts may fit (the old big block engine didn't change much through the years but there was an update in about 06).

Looking at the parts fiche there is supposed to be an O ring between the oil pump and inner clutch cover (http://husqvarnamotorcycleparts.com...arna-husaberg/2004/te-tc-250-450-smr-450#next and more specifically this http://husqvarnamotorcycleparts.com...berg/2004/te-tc-250-450-smr-450/oil-pump#next ).

As I said, parts are getting scarce but I rebuilt a basket case 06 TE250 about a year ago and found all the parts I needed, but the guy I sold the last of my parts to is hording everything he can find because he has had trouble getting parts.
    Boxa and mrsdnf like this.
  20. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.trialsnuts.com/betalrk.htm
    numbat likes this.