1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you do to your bike today thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by dazza67, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Trotski

Trotski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to installing an Anderson connector on the TDM
    20200927_152919.jpg
    No more stuffing around with battery clamps, don't even have to take the seat off
    BygDaddee and BergDonk like this.
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday moved another inside.
    20200929_173855.jpg

This morning went out to the garage thinking I might ride to work. Only started work again last week after loosing one job and starting another.
    Well, I would have to juggle bikes around and get the SM off the bike lift, so, tomorrow, better weather anyway.

Tonight I got home and did the juggling and thought I would take the old commuter bike for a quick spin. Haven't ridden since the start of July due to lock down and no work so no real excuse. Plenty of bike work, no riding.

I'm not an old fella but at 56 not quite a spring chicken.
    Well out the drive, around the corner and a third gear, 150ft, uphill power wheelie on the 950SM.

That's why I ride bikes. We ain't dead yet.

You know what, it sounded absolutely beautiful with the twin unbaffled Akro's singing the 950 tune.

I think sometimes a little break and a reminder why we ride is not a bad thing.

Poor little girl got bit of a flogging around the local streets, but geez it was fun.

Riding to work tomorrow.
    Kiwirich, Mickalmus, Simosez and 8 others like this.
  3. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A nice post ride detol bath for the old girl
    20201001_211833.jpg
    Got too remove engine for valve adj/check on this bike with dual balanced config.
    20201001_145629.jpg
    20201001_140148.jpg
  4. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Finally got my V-Strom650XT back after a warranty fix of my front wheel.
    (It came from the factory “out of round”. Front end was hopping up and down, subtle, but it was there)

If anyone else has issues with one of these tubeless spoked wheels, Suzuki or BM’s, my Dealer found the local “go to” place in Perth, Spoke Wheel Services, struggled to get it right.

It ended up going to Munich Motorcycles where Brian Waugh (ex BMW service manager) was able to sort it.

According to Brian with these tubeless style spoked rims you have to throw out everything you learnt as an apprentice about fixing a spoked wheel.
    There’s an art to sorting these style rims.

Anyway, it is finally sorted. Rides much better now.

Part of the issue I think is that our roads are pretty rough, many of the sealed roads around here are finely corrugated, enough that you don’t really pick up thIs sort of issue.
    (At least that’s my thoughts on why the dealer mechanic never put in a warranty claim the first time I brought it to his attention.)
    Just Dan and BergDonk like this.
  5. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Got the swingarm and steering head cups installed.
    Have to finalize the sidecar headlights but, they are fitted okay. Out with the stickers, in with electrics.

20200930_174931.jpg

Took the Sprint out for a short test ride. Dobbo's higher tyre pressures worked much better. Very different to ride than anything I had before. I suspect it is the wider tyres, as I have ridden bikes with low 'bars etc on skinny tyres. Bump steer is apparent. Need to take a screw driver and do some front pre-load adjusting. Reckon they were never designed to be ridden over our shitty, bumpy, pock marked roads.

20201001_114144.jpg
  6. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a short ride on the TL1000R I noticed it had dripped what looked like engine oil on the left side in the area of the clutch slave cylinder.

Started researching seal kits and complete cylinders but after removing the cylinder I'm fairly confident I just need a push rod seal. A longer side stand would probably help too - and not redlining after overfilling with engine oil.
  7. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fitted swing arm bushes, shockers, rear wheel etc. close to rideable. Some 40? hours and $1,500 98D09D1E-63F1-49F0-8181-8A57F58AD179.jpeg 8B464638-57E4-4C7D-8E32-47A77C290085.jpeg
  8. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Fought with the dog bone pivots on the swinging arm and lost.
    20201003_145924.jpg
    I pushed a seal in too far and now, I can't get the bastard back out.

Did work out how to fit this though.
    20201003_153008.jpg
    Lower chain slider block. It was missing the rubber previously. Wonder how long this one will last?

Final fibreglass sheets into the nose cone too. I could add more, I'm just not going to. Might just paint the various bits next week. See if I'm satisfied with that.
    BergDonk likes this.
  9. gavineakins

gavineakins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sheez, that IT is a great looking bike, @bigborett.
    I'd be proud to have that one.

Cheers - Gavin
    tripodtiger and bigborett like this.
  10. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I'm pretty happy with it.

Couple more bits came this week.
    Rear brake shoes that I had had to wait ages for after the incorrect ones were sent out from the UK and a pair of bark busters.
    Got to protect my beautiful ProTaper levers.

Still waiting for a voltage regulator to come that was supposed to be Aussie stock (lying, scamming bastards, a nasty ebay feedback will be their reward) and that is pretty much it I think.
    At least until stage two. Engine mods and rims.
    Maybe.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  11. JMick

JMick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just be aware that you may never be able to buy off them again if you do that (but you probably won't want to anyway). Years ago I ordered some "Aussie stock" electric brakes for my camper trailer. They didn't turn up for ages, and when they did the had come from China. I left nasty ebay feedback and thought no more of it. Fast forward a few years and I need some ball joints for the ute. Go to buy them on ebay only to find that I'm unable to do so. Contact the seller to find out why and find out it's the same seller I'd previously used and they had blocked me. Incidently, because they were an ebay "power seller", my feedback was removed.

Mick
  12. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Can't say that I'm to worried about that with this seller.
    I have already reported them to ebay.

I just really, really hate the blatant lie.
    Bought off them because they were localish, item in Hallam Victoria, has just been processed at Melbourne Airport. Hmmm.

Would happily ram the 20 dollar regulator down their scamming throat and walk away. Lucky it wasn't for my daily rider.
    Boxa and flinders_72 like this.
  13. Wimmysfruitsalad

Wimmysfruitsalad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DSC_1848.JPG

Always wanted to become a jetpilot. Today I got to bag on. Borrowed a cuttingboard from out of the kitchen. To mount it to the luggagerack.

Already got the hotcams to give the little bike some extra take-off speed.

So now I only need some... wings. Than I'm ready to fly.
    moffit virtue and mrsdnf like this.
  14. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checked the oil, fired up and took for a ride. C931335D-F0DE-44B5-A45F-ECA2E5C80B3F.jpeg 4E8BC107-89C8-4129-B272-767D36F901FB.jpeg 5805C463-7427-4B5A-8983-03579B4D336D.jpeg FE0FCA50-B113-48B9-88DB-F4D99F90BD22.jpeg
  15. Eaglebeak

Oddometer:
    Went for a 5 day wander along the south coast.
    Got home today.

F43376AB-BA76-48DF-8277-6DA39157A6AC.jpeg

22E162AE-5CC8-4C29-8A2A-BC5270630FF7.jpeg
  16. Dave Ward

Dave Ward I don't even know where the box is.

Oddometer:

You picked the weather, overcast & drizzle today.
  17. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Paired the iPhone to the bike systems

0A901BCD-C157-4350-9FBE-DD782EEDFAA8.jpeg
  18. chicky

chicky BMW Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice rocks Andrew
  19. Eaglebeak

Oddometer:
    I did eh !

I dropped into my sister’s place in Bridgetown and left there Tuesday morning in 20 degrees, dressed in my winter riding gear.
    By the time I hit Leach Hwy, heading towards Freo and home the gauge was reading 32 !
  20. Eaglebeak

Oddometer:
    Hi mate.

The far south coast of WA, anywhere from Augusta to Esperance has some magic spots.
    But, like most of us old farts, I wish our population was at 1970’s levels, there are just too many people nowdays at all the previously quiet “secret” spots. :(:

The free camping, the fish and oysters everywhere, it’s just not the same.
    It’s been said before, but I reckon our generation had the best of times for outdoor stuff.

My first visit to Two Peoples Bay a couple of years ago. A nice drive down a windy road into the Park, only to be met by a suburban style car ticketing machine !
    I was so depressed I turned around without entering.
    OrangeJim and mrsdnf like this.