What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my bike is trying to tell me something. Its been a few years since a fluid change and a few more since a revalve, I've cleaned the seals a few times now...
    Time to let Konflict have a swing at these and the shock.

[​IMG]
    Konflict Motorsports likes this.
  2. BHDuryee

BHDuryee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went for a shake down after finay finishing the aurora rally kit. Only thing left to do is adjust the headlights. 20190720_100106.jpg
  3. KDXRC51

KDXRC51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FA6B7AE1-6042-48E8-91DC-D815D784B3A3.jpeg 46FCCFBF-93C1-430A-AA9C-DC8F5D5FE3B7.jpeg E692A175-2456-481E-A1FA-B40E97D1B5D9.jpeg
    I did the triple clamp moto stabilizer set up. Home made stickers and lower tank guards.
    A little more left to do before I get it where I want it. As posted in another thread, I bought it like the lower picture and have been getting it back together. I’ve put about 800 miles on it since it’s been back together.
    BFE705BC-878B-4A3D-855B-F28D8DC84E6F.jpeg
  4. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fiddled with the Sena on my helmet the right speaker was not working the last time I rode.
    It does now. Nope, no idea what I did.
    I need to pull the screen off and clean it up too. And wash the liner. :knary
    nk14zp and DesertSurfer like this.
  5. blahh456blahh

blahh456blahh n00b

Oddometer:
    Sooooo....

I just got a 2012 990 Adventure R with 2200 miles. It’s bone stock so any tips from long time owners as far as what to mod first to get the most bang for the buck is appreciated.

Couple observations
    1- why has no one insisted I buy one before. This thing is amazing, my first question is how do long term owners walk around with a perma-chub?

2- I liken this to the CrossFit of motorcycles. People start talking about it and I tuned out. All I hear is blah blah blah. Well I drank the Kool-Aid and can’t stop. Are there support groups available?
  6. Cafeducati

Cafeducati Stuffing my face with that 990 Steak

Oddometer:
    We ARE the support group.

I am pretty sure, yes,... very positive that a certain fellow BDR Family Member advised, commented, and suggested that a 6 2’ frame would fit nicely on a 990. And maaaaybe this pilot’s riding ability might be improved on a PSG-1 vs the Mosin Nagant he was currently using.
    nk14zp likes this.
  7. dsrtuckteezy

dsrtuckteezy BLEEDING ORANGE

Oddometer:
    The mods are endless my man. Maybe a few preventative upgrades first (kickstand relocation maybe a beefier skid plate) wouldn't worry about water pump, clutch slave, fuel pump until they pose an issue. Other than that, just personal preference. Hope your wallet is deep!

Oh and ktm950.info
    Cafeducati likes this.
  8. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I’ve had my 2010 990R for 74,000+ miles. One catastrophic failure. But still awesome.
  9. blahh456blahh

blahh456blahh n00b

Oddometer:
    Was just reading about the kickstand. Seems like a first place contender for an upgrade.
    nk14zp and Pariahtize like this.
  10. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seat concepts. Or the kickstand will be down too often.
  11. Cafeducati

Cafeducati Stuffing my face with that 990 Steak

Oddometer:
    This is just my opinion. Everyone has one, everyone has priorities, and I know this is Valhalla for Knowledge and Experience.

I would start with the free things.

I would move the controls to fit YOU. (this may include the need to purchase Rox risers or the equivalent)

Get the bike on the center stand and set your suspension for your weight in gear and a second setting for you, your gear, and your BDR luggage (or at least something that resembles it)

Proper tires for when you are ready for more off-road.

You have a stock bash plate, and this will work for the time being, I believe a proper luggage rack and bags/boxes for your birthday or Christmas should be researched and placed high on the list.

I literally have a spreadsheet with mods I need to update and I can send this in a few weeks when I am at my upcoming school.
    nk14zp likes this.
  12. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scored a second set of stock hubs on aftermarket (1.85/2.75)hoops superlaced by woody's for the big orange pig on the cheap, now It'll have a dedicated road and dirt set once they get rotors.
    Have been busy reworking the led bracket to be even stronger, added a fan to keep the BD leds from thermally throttling. Should be Baja ready soon!
    MadM and Cafeducati like this.
  13. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    Could one have some more insight in that setup?
  14. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    keener and Dusty like this.
  15. schlusi

schlusi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did some work on an 2004 adv engine today ...

adv2004_1.jpeg
    nomeranger7, Mane and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  16. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I'm getting around to performing the initial service post engine rebuild. As well as some upgrades. This is going to take a while.

I got the oil all drained. I need to go buy oil, but, I also need to check the valve clearances so I figure I'll do the check, then buy oil and get shims at the same time.

I found a few things along the way today.

[​IMG]

Right now, I'm stumped as to what the hell sort of spark plugs are in this thing since my wrench doesn't engage at all. Works fine on an old spare set of plugs I keep in my parts cabinet.
    I'm going to need to talk to the dealer who did the motor rebuild. Unless anybody has any guesses. My plug tool is CJ designs that has worked perfectly the entire time I've owned the motorcycle. No idea what the dealer/mechanic did. The correct plugs are called out on the repair bill.

I figured out why the bike was popping and farting into the underside of the seat once in a while, the airbox was loose and the airbox top wasn't tightened down. :dirtdog

Clamps were tighter than hell of course, just nothing was seated properly,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got plenty of wiring re-routing to fix as there are several spots where it is wrong. Now, I'm tired and bloody, yes bloody. Sitting on the floor, I leaned forward to look at something on the motor, and bashed my skull against the hammerhead shifter.
    Hammered my head I guess. :fpalm
    :imaposer
    Of course gloved, oily hands so dabbed at it with a paper towel then ignored it. :gerg

I'll finish pulling the cam cover off the front tomorrow. My back is tired and now I need to move all the crap back into the garage I had to move out to make room to work.
    Tiny workspaces. :baldy
  17. Crazygreek

Crazygreek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gift!!!
    alpina tubeless wheels for my baby! 20190806_161534.jpg
  18. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Bummer that sometimes we pay a dealer, what I consider a lot of money. To do something (at the time) I think should be left to the "professionals". Every single time I have the same experience you have here. :dunno I've learned unless it's machine work that I don't have the tooling for. I'll just do it myself. :hmmmmm

Too bad your not closer. I have a full shop you could use. My ole girl is lonely out there. :lol3
    Steve
    Mr Head likes this.
  19. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    The motor let go last September on my way home from almost a month on the road. Not having the tools or enough overhead height for a lift or the room to work on the motor, I left it to them.

I'd have been money ahead to have bought the tools, including setting up a parts washer and just done the work myself.
    I think I've figured out what they did with the sparkplugs, maybe earlier plugs = wrong, 16mm rather than 2010, 14mm.
  20. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to find some of this yellow tubing as well.
    I'm going to ask at the dealers tomorrow when I'm out and about.
    [​IMG]

I got the rear cylinder shim calculations down, tomorrow I'll go shim shopping/finding.
    [​IMG]

I may fiddle those values a bit. I'll take my mic with and check what I'm buying.
    In all the miles prior to the rebuild, I only ever needed to change three shims on this motor. I'll likely end up stopping at HD as well as KTM, I need to talk to KTM about the damned spark plug wrench thing.

I also got a bit of the wiring cleaned up and routed like it should be. I still have a good bit to fix of that, but will wait until I've pulled the coolant parts to replace the hoses with the Samco set and clamps.

Now, it's time to make dinner and plant my butt in a chair for a while.