What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr Head and Themastermike like this.
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must not spell well when searching Amazon. I spent a day looking and managed to find several rabbit holes, (450 rally bikes :-)), but never settled on tubing at Amazon.

Thanks!
    Oh, the only small engine repair shop I know of used vinyl tubing to repair a guy's gas powered bicycle thing.
    Of course it leaked.
    They tried to fix that with a zip-tie. He wondered if it was a problem. I said, only if you have a problem with a half gallon of gasoline dripping onto a hot exhaust, between your knees. :yikes
  3. singlewideteamusa

singlewideteamusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all!
    Been working on my SE. Was hoping to get riding last spring but projects.....can....drag...on....

Here is my shortened dual exhaust setup for your consideration.

IMG_20190811_191312.jpg IMG_20190811_191306.jpg
    I have also removed lots of wiring and will be building up a new tail tidy of my own design.
    Doing my darndest to make a 950 EXC.
    KN76, outbacktm, nk14zp and 8 others like this.
  4. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I'm tired.

I got the coolant dumped and the hoses on. I'm still futzing with clamp positions. And routing wiring. I'll finish that up tomorrow.
    I ordered another $100 in parts. Exhaust gaskets and such. Those graphite rings get destroyed. So, I ordered four to have two spares again. I'd used the two spares I had a long time ago. I got the drain line for the airbox routed, just need to get the length right.
    I'll deal with the fuel pump refresh tomorrow as well.
    Then fill the motor with oil, and coolant and button it back up.

Once it's buttoned up, I can hose it off and make it pretty. :-)
    Then go ride in the desert and make it dirty again. :imaposer

I want to spend a day at the dry lake fiddling with the suspension and rediscovering my dirt legs. Yes, it'll be hot. I'll take ice water and find a nice place to eat a bite.

Then once I'm satisfied with the bikes function, I'll deal with wheels and tires and sprockets and chain. Then I'll be ready for travel.

So,back to waiting on parts once I get the motor buttoned up.

I found a couple of knackered rubber bushings at the top of the radiator I have meant to replace fro years. Finally I managed to remember to order the parts.

This was one of today's finds, the left side coolant fitting on the radiator,

[​IMG]

And after I worked on it a bit,

[​IMG]

The hose on that left side was puffed out so it was very large. Replacing those things was a good idea.

A lot of stuff comes off to get at things,
    [​IMG]

You can see the airbox drain line hanging below the bike near the bucket. It is more than twice too long. I'm fine with that. I've got Tygon tubing for the tank vent lines that went missing. The right side tank had a burned off stub that was hard as a brick. I carefully cut that off the tank.

depending on how far I get tomorrow I hope to bleed the clutch and brakes too.

I'll pull the exhaust pipes out and clean them up as well.

As long as I'm here. :imaposer

And I sorted my valve stems for tubeless conversion, but I think I'll wait on that until after my travels. I'd rather test that close to home. :hmmmmm

I bought CRES tubeless stems that are the same diameter as the stems in the tubes we use. No drilling.
    They aren't 90 degrees, but I really don't need that with the 18/21 set up.
    They came with nuts that had a tall bush feature I didn't like. Instead of cutting that off, I found some other nuts I had to work and even a radiused aluminum washer for the front rim that is not flat in the center like the rear. But, that project will wait for cooler weather come winter.
    outbacktm, buaan, Michhub and 3 others like this.
  5. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    Sweet kickstand, dude!! :beer
  6. singlewideteamusa

Oddometer:
    Yep, the "kickstand" is the best thing that has happened to me on this Earth. Although, she calls the SE my mistress.
    I just ordered a 2004 EX-C stand for the bike. Hoping it works well.
  7. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    I installed a new chain, sprockets (16x42) and chain slider, and a rear tire (Mefo Explorer). . .then I stretched it out and wore it down! Damn good day of riding: Techy 4wd trails, mountain roads, dirt two-track and somehow managed to dodge all of the thunderstorms!
    If you haven't replaced your chain/sprockets and slider recently. . .I highly recommend!! Like a slab of bacon riding a cube of butter. . .so damn smooth, and tasty.
    Think I'm going to do this every 6 months or so now ;-) IMG_20190811_173146007.jpg
    SunshineTom, johnno950, LC8TY and 5 others like this.
  8. blahh456blahh

blahh456blahh n00b

Oddometer:

Just can’t find good help these days
  9. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    FINALLY....got around to installing one of the 'raw ' #braaap! secondary fan brackets, fit like a glove despite my best efforts to bend it wrong :thumbup

[​IMG]
    That Harbor Freight LED light is pretty useful...:deal
    johnno950, Pariahtize and braaap! like this.
  10. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah the bend sequence can a little challenging at first, glad you got it fitted!

You might pick up a fan harness off a 640LC4 at a Wreckers yard.... or badger TrailTech to sell you a bare harness (without the fan). Their kit has a neat LCD temp / volts display plus a thermocouple (mounts in between radiator fins) which allows you to set a temp value for when the fan kicks in... Plug and Play too!
    Mr Head likes this.
  11. Chainwhip

Chainwhip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New Rubber!

New Rubber 1.jpeg
    Masso75, Mane and Mr Head like this.
  12. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Bled the clutch today and confirmed the clutch master has an issue. That'll be another winter project.
    Then serviced the fuel pump. A kit from CJ Designs.
    And KTM Twins emailed me part way through my work in the garage to say my order has shipped.

I should be done in a week or so and can go fiddle a little in the dirt before freshening the drive train and swapping out the tires.
    Mane likes this.
  13. psilocybes

psilocybes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike got stupidly sexy loud on the way home last Friday, instant hardon. Turns out the headers came lose from the engine. Took it apart to to get a better look and seems like an easy fix, just a new clamp and some graphite rings.

7b1725fd9fae8b9d623f6ea017b4bf51d84d8c6b-14.jpg
    braaap! likes this.
  14. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  15. psilocybes

psilocybes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You got me. Only worked on the bike to get the cat near the bike, to take a picture... of the cat.
    Mr Head likes this.
  16. Crazygreek

Crazygreek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    30000 kms,Valve adjustments,all under specifications 20190812_131453.jpg
    Mr Head likes this.
  17. ElwoodBlues

ElwoodBlues Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. singlewideteamusa

Oddometer:
    Solved the kickstand issue on the SE!

I have installed a Trail Tech unit designed for a 2004 EXC. Took a little bit of modification but it seems sturdy, time will tell.
    Definitely exceeding its design limits but it helps with the low profile theme I am after.

Attached Files:

Ferd, Dvde, Whodatschrome and 2 others like this.
  19. McRay

McRay Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. McRay

McRay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mitas E09 - Michelin Tracker front tire
    Van Laar Suspension (progressif rally trim)
    16-45