What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like it would be too lightweight of a setup for the heavier Adventure bikes...but at the same time, I have a Black Dog relocation bracket and the way it positions my stock one, it gets grounded out quite frequently. The sidestand is crushed nearly in half after only a few races. I might have to pull a few measurements on my ADV bike and see about swapping one on for race days, then removing it for standard riding.

I have a 2005 EXC with a Trailtech sidestand, I can't remember if the 2004 were the same frame or not.
  2. singlewideteamusa

singlewideteamusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure if I had luggage and lots of fuel the stand would fold at some point. I was actually anticipating a solid post when I ordered the stand, didn't look close enough I guess. This way I save an extra 2.67 grams. You can really feel the difference over rough terrain.:hmmmmm
    nk14zp likes this.
  3. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find that the spring/s on the 950/990 sidestands don't provide enough tension to keep the stand from bouncing up and down on the bigger hits (such as at the D100), that and it hangs super low under the footpeg. It doesn't look like your Trailtech mod would have those issues. The only thing i could see is being extra super careful so that the Traitech hinge doen't break. Do you have any more pics that you can post up?
  4. singlewideteamusa

Oddometer:
    The bouncing up and down and the accompanying ignition cut out from the sidestand switch was what compelled me to go this route. This stand swivels up high enough that it's way beyond parallel with the ground. Plus, there isn't any part of the mount below the foot peg so clearance isn't an issue. I'll snap a few more pics this afternoon, working on mounting the Trail Tech Voyager as my main dash unit and was going to post up pictures of that as well.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  5. singlewideteamusa

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple more of the side stand mounting
    IMG_20190824_182040.jpg IMG_20190824_182030.jpg
    On another note, if you happen to use a Trail Tech Voyager as your dash unit and the assume the temp sensor coupler they provide will be the correct size (it's not) this is the Gates hose that will work until you order a new KTM part.:doh

IMG_20190824_181935.jpg
    Whodatschrome and Bonnie & Clyde like this.
  6. McRay

McRay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New front type Michelin Tracker, suspension update (rally/sand spec) and 16-45

Attached Files:

Mr Head likes this.
  7. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    New chain and sprocket for me-Going with JT sprockets 17/45 and DID chain. I got about 21K out of the first set....
    Mane and Mr Head like this.
  8. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been testing and checking things since getting the post rebuild service completed. I'd changed the coolant lines out to Samco so I expected a few drips here and there as things settled in.
    Today I found one tiny drip. Enough to leave trail, but not enough to show any change in the bottle level. I'd run the tanks down to ten miles into the reserve gallon so pulling the RHS tank was nice and light. I quickly found the weep and tightened that clamp.
    Tomorrow I'll get more fuel and test some more.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided to google search KTM 525 Pro Moto Billet side stand (because i've heard that their's might be a little bit stronger than the TT), and this was at the top of my google search results... http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/super enduro/sidestand/maxvert_mod/frame_mounted_promoto.html @MAXVERT wrote up the install. It's a good read. maybe he'll see your posting and have some insite since he did a side stand mod a while ago.
  10. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    Try this to see if you're inadvertently cutting your own power: Put on your moto-boots, put the bike on a centrestand or whatever you use to hold it vertical, hop aboard, stand on the pegs and mimic the positions you assume when riding fast, climbing a steep, pounding the woops, etc. Have a buddy or wife look closely at the inside of your left heel to see if it's pushing down the kickstand just enough to cut the power. If you are, try riding with the rubber band thingy attached to the little loop on the bottom of the kickstand. That solved it for me, but you have to remember it's attached or you'll break it when you put the stand down again. Or you can disconnect the wire, but that's fricken dangerous unless you remember each and every time you ride to lift it up before you ride off.
  11. ThirdUncle

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to try out my rethunk 990ADV shock with new 140-rate spring, seals, oil and nitro on my SE and chuck the abomination that's been aging my battered spine all these years. @keener and I went to Lang's Offroad yesterday and got both ours done. Total investment: about C$500.

Look at this beauty...

IMG_9408.jpg
  12. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Chasing coolant leaks and tightening up the new hoses. PIA. Zero room to work on these thing on the bike or inside this tiny garage.

And I got the crashbars re-mounted. For some reason they fit different than I remember.

[​IMG]

Next time I take them off, I will likely leave them off.
  13. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Move it to the center of the garage!

+1 to leaving those off. They are slit your wrists pita.
  14. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I move it to the center of the garage I can't get by it. I had it out in the center with the bags off when I worked on it.
    There is a pile of crap that has to go away down the right side of the middle too.
    Far too much women's crap in here.
    Orangebiker likes this.
  15. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was actually referring to just the side stand bouncing up and down in general (even with the safety switch bypassed) when riding fast through the whoops. I disconnected my side stand safety switch on my 950A a few years ago, so power cut-out isn’t an issue in my situation...just the weight of the side stand itself causing it to bounce. I fabbed up a slick rubber side stand rubber band thingy (the exact same rubber thingy that ktm uses on all their dirtbikes) to keep my side stand in place, but the terrain that I’m riding in is crushing in my side stand tubing, because it hangs below the footpeg. I’m just after a side stand that’s mounted up higher so that I have more ground clearance.

765F442A-D833-42AF-B716-D80D442731C9.jpeg 3E6C4B6B-F25A-41EA-845B-35BB8196A922.jpeg
  16. NVTS

NVTS Are you ennen oh eff tee Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't "yellowpigs" SE have a pro moto billet side stand?
  17. ThirdUncle

Oddometer:
    Ah well... you didn't mention you're an animal!
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  18. ThirdUncle

Oddometer:
    In total, what's been done to my SE so far this year (with much help from @keener of TripleClamp Moto, who lives 20min away):

- New TripleClamp Moto intake kit (highly recommended)
    - Repaired broken wire on speedo (reminding me how beautifully fast this bike is)
    - New used 990ADV shock rebuild, as shown above (installing tomorrow)
    - New Fastway EVO 4 pegs (in the mail)
    - New set of MotoZ Tractionator Desert HT (R) and Enduro ST (F) (ready to switch out)
    - Installed voltmeter on dash with USB plug
    - Switched out headlight relay so hi-beam indicator's not on all the time on Baja XL-80
    - Repaired torn out left rear turn signal wire (my first solo electrical repair; not my finest work, but holding)
    - Installed Ram iPhone holder (why did I wait so long?)
    - Did @alongat's secret hacksaw mod to lower rear brake pedal for added wheelie peace of mind
    - Added skateboard wheels to passenger peg bolt-holes as homemade Stegpegz (not really helpful, need to keep experimenting)
    - Added Moose Racing pull-out straps, front and rear (to replace home-made ones made of old laptop bag straps)

IMG_9201.jpg

To come:
    - Tach (trying to figure out if I can successfully mount an old 990ADV one on the side of the headlight housing)
    - Rad brace (saw one fabbed by a Japanese SE owner that looked smart, hope to get something like that sorted)
    - Fork rethink (not sure what it'll be yet, but it won't be the $2,000 version)
    - Sticker rethink (no idea what it'll be, but it'll be badass)
    outbacktm, braaap!, Helibee and 2 others like this.
  19. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Nicely done @ThirdUncle Ill play along.

Completed
    - New Triple Clamp moto intake
    - Rade Designs Rally fairing
    - LED Turn Signals
    - LED Tailight bulb
    - Fixed broken nut for top tank bolt with rivnut
    - Valves Adjusted
    - Flex Jets installed
    - Rejet for intake
    - Installed @Boatman racks
    - Installed Mosko Moto Scount 25L bags
    - Moskos smallest tank bag. Perfect for snacks, Camera and a couple other small items.
    - Rerouted brake line rally style
    - Spaced out front fender as it was making contact with radiator shroud
    - New heat shields under the rear plastics
    - Added 2 USB plugs with Volt Meter
    - Hard wired Samsung tablet to a powered ram mount
    - Rade Designs footpegs, wider and 18mm lower
    - Replaced all fuel lines and added @PowerCell quick disconnects
    - Moved fuel pump to the frame

Yet to do
    - Flush coolant
    - Replace coolant fan switch with 20F lower switch

Sorry for the iphone pics. Ill get some proper ones soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just finished up some major projects at work so now I should have some more time to get out and enjoy it. This hurricane may throw a wrench into those plans though.
    outbacktm, braaap!, Helibee and 3 others like this.
  20. ThirdUncle

Oddometer:
    Fuck, you win, mang. Stay low, bro.