What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Cafeducati

Cafeducati Stuffing my face with that 990 Steak

Oddometer:
    That oil cooler set up is the Cat's Meow.

I have heard that all 950s and 990s run HOT, and mine is no exception, but it would be wonderful to get that oil a bit cooler. Why have other companies not made this as an aftermarket piece of kit?
  2. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sucks, haha. I've done just about everything possible to get it to not suck dust, at this point i'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on @alongat's offering. It seals way better than it did, but I'm still less than happy with it.
    combined with some other modifications it's really really nice for service which is the entire reason why it was done. I can rejet this bike in under 5 minutes.

cut up a stock foam filter to use the foam as a seal on the lower plate:
    [​IMG]
    xr650l oil separator, and closed cell foam on the topside to seal to the velocity stack. I leave a little grease on the top of the plate and over the lettering of the horns as an indicator of dust that is passed.
    [​IMG]
    more closed cell foam on the base of the ITG filter
    [​IMG]

As for oil temps, sheeesh yeah. lanesplitting here in the temperate bay area California will send oil temps to 120C easily, much less running it at Johnson valley! Sure changing oil more often works, I'm interested in solving the problem, not the symptom. My 950 is no spring chicken with nearly 75k on the odo and i'd like to keep it running for years to come. There've been threads on this before but nothing substantial. Meoni's bike had a pretty sizable cooler on it.

Literally the worst part of this project was plumbing the lines. I can create a stl file for the sheetmetal bracket if others want it. The cooler is just a generic derale 13213 cooler with a Jagg in-line thermostat. I average 12-15k/annually with this bike and i'll be logging oil temperatures and the reliability of the install.
    outbacktm, Mr Head, Dusty and 2 others like this.
  3. Cafeducati

Cafeducati Stuffing my face with that 990 Steak

Oddometer:
    albani,... Good Sir, I think you need a separate thread to follow so your findings can be tracked and appreciated.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2nded!

@albani an stl file would be very much appreciated!
  5. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    Took her out for an Innis & Gunn at my local. Then hurt some more dirt.

IMG_9611 2.jpg

She's performing very well since the 990ADV shock replacement a few weeks ago, plus new Tractionators. There's still some adjusting to do to it, but I'm secure in my belief that my abilities as a solo suspension adjuster are suboptimal. So this will have to wait till I can get help.

What I do know is that I'm going way faster over harder shit with less work to keep the production vertical. Hitting big woops at 20mph is no longer an enterprise steeped in fright and self-doubt.

What impresses most about this bike is how the slightest improvement makes such a vast difference once applied in the field. Four years ago when I first got her in mostly stock condition, I thought I was sitting on top of the world. Some 100 upgrades later, I feel like I've been through a dozen bikes, each better by half than the last.

If you're new to SEland, own a stock one of these, start the process today and let us know how you feel in a year or two. The phrase "unbelievable difference" is sure to feature in your reportage.
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  6. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took my for sale pictures.
    F0586803-7D43-460F-9D82-B78954B3F843.jpeg
  7. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought for sure that your posting was going to say something like, "so I decided to keep my 990 after all".

*also, install those 3 missing screws, then retake pics. We notice stuff like that around here. Hopefully whoever buys your bike is as active as you are here. I always enjoyed seeing pics of it. It's a great looking bike Parx.
    Crazygreek likes this.
  8. Masso75

Masso75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got one of these...
    374F9063-26A8-4740-AAEE-F7F828258E50.jpeg
    D46EDECF-973D-4D26-BD52-01CBF7F2F67B.jpeg
    ...to put in one of these...
    053A396E-302F-4CDA-9C73-D6EE9CDC4752.jpeg
  10. Masso75

Masso75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you explain? What Is that clutch?
  11. RWJorg

RWJorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    flux capacitor
    Koen likes this.
  12. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s a CJ Designs billet clutch basket. https://www.cjdesignsllc.com/?s=Clutch+basket

I started replacing clutch parts on my bike that has 30k miles on it, and I decided to literally go for broke, bought one of his billet baskets. It does the same thing as the stock clutch basket but much stronger. I started out just wanting to replace the clutch booster, but I accidentally ordered the inner clutch hub instead. I ended up installing the new clutch hub (even though I didn’t really need it) and a new clutch booster. The shifting was so much better that I decided to order up a new billet clutch basket as well. Since I did that, I thought I might as well spruce everything else up too. So I ordered up a new shirt arrestor, arresting lever, and an aftermarket heavy duty arrestor lever spring. None of those arrestor parts show any wear, but I just want to “tighten” everything up in the shifting department...I don’t think so much of it as OCD...it’s more like preventative premaintenance because I don’t like DNFs. Ironically I’m replacing most everything except the clutch plates and steels (ok, I did replace one of the steels).
    albani and Masso75 like this.
  13. Masso75

Masso75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot,my clutch Is still original but in the future.......
  14. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta get one of those before the early one in my bike explodes or CJ stops making em.... Surprised it's lasted this long
  15. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    0125D8AC-2EF5-4189-BED7-8C925B6B8D18.jpeg

Well, I had en electrical short caused fire two months moths ago. Ins Co totaled it. I bought it back. Almost 80,000 miles on the clocks. Bought another wrecked 950. That one had some nice upgrades, so I have longer travel suspension now. Sprung for my weight. Excellent 1.85 front rim, and 25,000 on the clocks and engine now. (I used the 06 engine from the wrecked bike. Now I’m just finishing up the wiring.
  16. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that nip slip, or do i see a schrader valve on your rear shock?...
  17. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    It has Konflict valving, and the schrader valve is there so anyone can do a shock service.
  18. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Drank the Kool-Aid

Oddometer:
    Those are Shinko 705s. We spooned them on a few weeks ago. They dropped on to the new rims like buttah.
    Masso75 likes this.
  19. Crazygreek

Crazygreek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20191011_182548.jpg 20191011_110105.jpg servise!!!
    nomeranger7, Mr Head and RokADVrider like this.
  20. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ 67619Kms...

Not by me, but a timely 'MAJSER' by a very trustworthy KTM service centre!
    Everything given the once over, all fluids, valves, steering bearings, suspension, chains and sprockets, spokes tension, wheel bearings, lube / grease pivot points + new samco coolant hoses :)

MAJSER 181019.jpg

Old hoses had started to swell just behind the clamps. So, some orange samco love!

Samco1.jpg
    Tight down in there!
    samco 2.jpg

Tomorrow get her dressed again and out for a ride :)