What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. melk

melk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_4639.JPG

Put the "trophy" sticker on her. The hole on the letter T is from this deer horn.
    majle, Chainwhip, Mane and 5 others like this.
  2. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey got one of those stickers for me.

[​IMG]
    Manny U, Chainwhip, ballpeen and 4 others like this.
  3. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey gentlemen, that is not a real good way to hunt. :-)
    :hide

:eek2
    Manny U and Salzig like this.
  4. melk

melk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not a problem, pm me your address, i'll send
    Dusty likes this.
  5. Koen

Koen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    holy shit. any damage to the bike?
  6. melk

melk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    on my bike only small hole in the left plastic cover, on the T letter in KTM. That's all.
  7. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a cracked fender and my pants full of shit. Didn't even go down, i was very surprised. My shoulders will never be the same tho.

This was my second encounter, 1st time was in the early 90s and sent me to the ER and lost about 4 hours of memory, came out of it when the doctor said if he doesn't pee in the next half hour to put a catheter in.... woke me right up.

[​IMG]
    outbacktm, majle, Chainwhip and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    A friend nearly lost his leg from a deer running into the side of him on a two lane road. We had a small deer jump off the steep uphill side of a roadway onto what ended up being our hood. Full ABS mode. Punted it so high as we slowed to a stop I was afraid it was going to mash the roof. Ended up about ten feet in front of us.
    A former sheriff and his wife were just ahead of us at the time. We stopped exactly where there was no cell of GPS signal. I walked a hundred feet back up the hill to get signal and made the call.

I'm really paranoid on the motorcycle. I've only had one close call and it was a herd of elk one summer in Colorado. Raining on a gravel road, on our newish Norton, (at the time). I slid to a stop without falling, when the bull hit the forest road in front of us behind the bunch. One of those we bigger than the two of us on the motorcycle.
    Mid-day, but beginning to rain. They came from uphill jumping the maybe eight feet to the road. They were in scrub oak up there so I only saw them as the first one jumped.
  9. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Jesus Murphy that's scary stuff... glad you came out of it OK.
  10. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! That's scary! Damn critters have no fcukin road sense. Glad you're in one piece...
  11. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Took the bike half apart to check valves.I hate this job!I'm on the rear cylinder now.The exhaust valves where too loose?? 0.390mm!!
    This summer i removed the secondaries and disabled them in the ecu,after they got faulty.Is there a way to plug the holes of the shafts?I want to take them completely off.
    Crazygreek and Peltsi like this.
  12. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is some info over at the superduke site to read , i think i will JB weld mine this winter. Link
    Spyrious likes this.
  13. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took that new clutch for a road thrash in the East Valley today...ready for tomorrow's off road testing :ricky
    [​IMG]
    Manakau.KTM, majle and Mr Head like this.
  14. Mike944

Mike944 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did fork seals on my 250EXC! IMG_2923.jpg IMG_2920.jpg
    Manny U, GenesiZ, Crazygreek and 2 others like this.
  15. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like your bike stand, I have the square version :lol3

[​IMG]
    Manny U, Majorlock, Mike944 and 5 others like this.
  16. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I need to swap the bad rear master cylinder out for the spare new one, but need my back to be much closer to 100% than it is right now to be moving big, fat bikes around. I'd backed the bike in anticipating changing tires, beginning with the rear, but tweaked my back. Almost three weeks ago now.
    I thought I could just work it out like I did in my youth.

Nope.

Rest is working, but it is slow going. I go see the doc on Thursday, so who knows?
    Crazygreek and DeepSea like this.
  17. GenesiZ

GenesiZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Removed the gastank for the first time. Quite some work but after the first time very quick to do again.

Only thing I struggled with was the lower petcock and hose connection. I couldn't get the hose fitted nicely on the petcock and get the clamp on. The clamp was too small and the hose was popping of the petcock over and over again.

Attached Files:

mountaincadre likes this.
  18. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a nack G, when you put the tank on leave it loose on all bolts till you get that little clamp on, once its on THEN tighten things up, bottom first then side panel bolt only then do the top one.
    GenesiZ likes this.
  19. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I changed the lower petcocks out to QD's from Powercell performance. Expensive, but they won't break. Adding a little more fuel line for that connection helps as well.
    When I install my tanks, I hang them on the top mounting point, and thread a fastener in there a couple of threads. Then install the lower mount, but, leave that loose. Then the rear.
    Once I have everything threaded in by fingers, then I tighten things up. The top first, then the rear and finally the bottom.

I am considering ordering the replacement Powercell Performance fuel connection as well. I used a BMW metal replacement years ago, but it is very big and bulky. I have to orient it just right or it will release when the tank is mounted.
    DeepSea likes this.
  20. GenesiZ

GenesiZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those QD's really look nice! But that price, it's quite expensive but makes the job a lot easier! Thanks for the tip!
    Spyrious likes this.