1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. GenesiZ

GenesiZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome setup!
  2. Koen

Koen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20191227_115453.jpg

Double oil change time ... man that's a lot of work for an oil change ... but, both are done, filters and screens included, brakes are checked too, my buddy also replaced his airfilter, mine was fine. cleared the errors from the logs too (forgot to do that last time). Next time we find a larger place to work on them hahaha :p Did find some unused plugs ... guess i gotta dive into drawings ...
  3. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Nice one. A mate and I are doing the double tomorrow!
  4. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    removing catalyst from exhaust and checking water pump- it was in time do it

54FFF58F-58B9-467B-A011-0F298CF81796.JPG IMG_9722.JPG IMG_9735.JPG IMG_9738.JPG
  5. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    Just make your own it's just & fuel hose & CPC fittings

QD buy on ebay - 5/16
    https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...odkw=CPC+brass+quick+disconnect+fuel+fittings

Zip-Ty do a golan micron grade QD inline fuel filter as well

not cheap but are good my KIT690RFR has 6 CPC's , 950SER has 3 , 1290SER has 1 , fuel transfer hose 1 & about 7 spares all up in shed

shit load plastic ones don't use

when connect them put a little spit on the Oring so not a dry fit or you can pinch the Oring
  6. 303BCOD

303BCOD Just what I need... another forum

Oddometer:
    Took care of the dreaded pinched ignition wire. Notched the plastic frame cover piece for good measure, but it broke right near the column. Bought a new wire and rerouted it, hopefully this one lasts a lot longer than 5k miles...

Attached Files:

DesertSurfer likes this.
  7. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Changing front brakepads, I think the ones that came off are the original ones with 55000km on them. Still a couple of mm left on them.

Bought some EBC replacements at cycleworld back in 2015..

Is it a known thing that you get much less pad area on anything but the OEM brembo or is EBC just shite?

59923065110__5092A238-34A2-4CBA-8BCC-D26F883CD465.jpg
  8. Koen

Koen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you'll notice the difference. The EBC pad might clean it self a little better due to the bigger grove.
  9. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On knobbies I do not believe the pads will be limiting me as far as stopping power goes, but just surprised over the difference between the pads.
    Manny U and DesertSurfer like this.
  10. Andocalrisian

Andocalrisian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CFECB829-7194-4B98-804F-7A4436394FAF.jpeg
    Been waiting for awhile for the right bike to pop up and finally pulled the trigger. Seems pretty stock besides pegs and front fender kit. Already had to replace the rear brake switch as the dealer didn’t do their presale safety inspection and wouldn’t refund the $40 for the switch after I got her home. Will be getting to work on her pretty quick. Stoked!
    Holaday, melk, Whodatschrome and 6 others like this.
  11. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just installed a new sidestand relocation bracket on the 950 (and a short review to go with). I used to have a BDCW bracket on it, but I switched over to the Charlie Nut bracket. https://charlienut.co.uk/ktm-adventure-parts/ktm-side-stand-relocator/ While the BWDC bracket is an aluminum, the one from Charlie is a VERY strong piece of steel! Charlie’s probably weights 6x the amount as BDCW’s. So is “all” that weight detrimental? I think it’s all players choice. You could have pros and cons for each. The BDCW is super lightweight (duh, because it’s aluminum) and is prone to bending. Charlie’s is much heavier (because it’s steel), and isn’t prone to bending...at all. So if you’re concerned about a little extra weight, go with BDCW. Just realize that you need to be more ginger with how you use your sidestand. If you’re not concerned with a few extra ounces of weight, AND are hard on your sidestand, go with Charlie’s. I tend to bend and break stuff, so went with the stronger bracket. I’m also not concerned about the extra weight, because i remove the whole bracket assembly when I go to the races. For race days an EXC kickstand will be bolted on instead. Once I get home from a race, I can then easily remove the EXC kickstand, then reinstall Charlie’s bracket. Even though I’m located in the US, I decided to buy from the UK.
    Thanks @charlie264!
    D784CF24-3915-4FA2-895D-1EF647A0E2AB.jpeg ADD80797-3FB5-4290-A23A-1D39F847D47E.jpeg E6F9CA94-FBF3-4AF9-813A-E885C8F180FA.jpeg 2D3D8D45-DF7E-4D31-AE32-650A8205728C.jpeg
    charlie264 and braaap! like this.
  12. RokADVrider

RokADVrider n00b

Oddometer:
    :y0!
    Hi, I just wanted to tell you that the 2.0 version of the BDCW bracket is made of steel... :D
    Whodatschrome and dooby like this.
  13. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers, Thanks for the right up. On average steel is 3x the weight of ally but also 3x stronger. My point has always been better to bust my side stand relocator and ride home with engine oil then be stranded. Also the design has more fat than others, the extra material in the shark fin bit is to prevent rotation from a hard underneath impact and the thickness was increased to 8mm from 6, because of those who chose to modify the plate for the pre June 05 frames. Its now the same thickness as the side stand pivot plate, so comparable, Ive bent this plate on a fully loaded bike.

Plus it has 3 mounting points to the frame not 2. If you break it, I'll send you another.

Magnetic Oil Filtering Cover looks good. :thumb
    braaap! and DeepSea like this.
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty impressed with your magnetic oil filter covers as well. I just got one installed on my 950, and I’ll be installing another one on my friend’s 990 next week. As an FYI, the 950 and 990 use a different sized cover (I had no idea). The 950 uses the chamfered version, and the 990 uses the round version. https://charlienut.co.uk/ktm-adventure-parts/ktm-oil-covers/ My friend and I decided to take advantage of shipping from the UK, so we combined our order together. I think another bonus is that the filter will automatically pull out of the engine case since it’s magnetically stuck to the cover. I’m really interested into seeing just how much “furrys” will be stuck to it at the next oil change. Probably a lot. The magnetic is pretty darn strong, and should make my engine last longer. I’m kinda surprised that these haven’t caught on more. Probably because they aren’t readily available in the US? I bet if there was a US distributer who carried these in stock, they would sell like hot cakes.

Hindsight alert* I probably should have bought a couple more for both my 640 and 525.

A2591525-FA27-48CF-9F51-699DE75BDEFD.jpeg 757EA96C-B2F6-41B9-8CA6-5BE3CD2C5A13.jpeg
    Manny U, outbacktm, ballpeen and 7 others like this.
  15. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bolts queueing up for a go at 'Charlie Nut' :photog

Why would someone go out of their way to invest time and effort to develop and make such a useful widget? Dunno. But thanks @charlie264 Love your work!
    Manny U and charlie264 like this.
  16. Kona990

Kona990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soaking in all the vitamin D after such a dark wet gloomy month 20200101_140144.jpg
    zachd, Jeremy K, outbacktm and 4 others like this.
  17. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It all came about when KTM installed a valve in the OEM oil filters, so if WP fails and blocks the filter you have nothing filtering oil and no oil pressure warning light...:loco:loco:loco

[​IMG]
    Dusty, braaap! and Whodatschrome like this.
  18. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke to a distributor in the US who contacted me. Going through the numbers they would need to pay less than they costs me to manufacture so it wasn't viable for them or me. I know the postal/shipping costs are ridiculous. But its a one off and will last the life of the bike.

[​IMG]

Its an eye opener developing and making this stuff, the time and cost is what stops most people. I was lucky to find and engineering firm to entertain the low numbers, it means the cost is high but the outlay manageable. The firm I wanted to use I had to haggle them down to entertain tooling up for a 1000, minimum they wanted was 2000. For a normal guy with mouths to feed it just too much outlay.

You can follow its inception here: https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/1272345-charlies-oil-filtering-cover.html

This is the chopped oil filter from my SE after (*edit) 600 miles, you can see the fine metal crud in the bottom and between the pleats. Note this is inside the filter, so oil has been filtered. So this is grud was not caught by sump or oil tank magnets which are far less powerful.

[​IMG]
  19. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the last few days I managed to make myself a fork cap tool for the 950. It is not the prettiest thing but it fits and works. It even works with air-bleeders installed, should come handy for EXC's too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next thing to make is a rear spring compression tool.
  20. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made my own to.
    MadM likes this.