1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Kona990

Kona990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tired of my gauges fogging up, time to dry them up and seal them up tight. 20200215_144919.jpg
  2. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made up a little harness to hook up a four way flasher on an '07 990 - used the stock plugs so that I didn't need to cut into the OEM wiring harness (thanks www.cycleterminal.com) and used a two way trailtech switch that a local moto dealer was selling cheap on ebay - position 1 for the existing aux lights, position 2 for the new hazards, and the kill switch to cycle through the modes on the speedo.

Now just waiting on a couple Bosch 17025 O2 sensors to refresh to the Dynojet autotune O2 sensors - bought a couple on amazon but when they showed up last night it didn't look like it was the real McCoy so returnin 'em and project delayed. No matter - it's ski season in Cowtown!

An inmate has spoken for the 2 into 1 Rottweiler full stainless steel exhaust that I'm replacing - I'm gonna miss that, the stainless steel headers are so much higher quality than the KTM 990 headers, but anyway, I'm switching back to 2 into 2 and Rottweiller doesn't build 2 into 2 headers anymore (or the 2 into 1 headers for that matter).

Here's the trail tech switch and the little flasher hook up:

image11.jpeg

image12.jpeg
    Spyrious likes this.
  3. ferdinotch

ferdinotch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20200218_210203.jpg

Took 2hours to get this shit out of the bike.
    It s a .30, I'll upgrade to .50
    Spyrious and Whodatschrome like this.
  4. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stared at this, thinking of a best solution to get more bottoming resistance.

Attached Files:

opanos likes this.
  5. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also did a four way flasher conversion on my '06 950A a while back (ended up doing it on my 640A first). What i did was install a single jumper wire between the two front turn signal lights. I then installed a push button on/off switch (HDB stuff) that opens and closes the circuit. So in order to activate the 4-way, i have to flick the ktm turn signal rocker switch on (either to the left or right), then activate the push button switch. It then feeds power to all four lights. Not as convenient as an actual Hazzard switch, but SUPER basic with minimal wiring.
    Stephen, mountaincadre and Mr Head like this.
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any chance of a circuit diagram @Whodatschrome :deal
  7. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Super simple...
    Tee off a wire from the 12V+ input side of both front turn signals, and then connect them to your favorite on/off switch. The stock turn signal switch still activates each side independently (normally), until you flip the newly wired in switch ON. I happened to use a spare switch that I got from HDB. It’s the red one mounted above the speedo on the dash. When it’s ON, it bridges both the left and right side turn signals. I still run the standard incandescent bulbs. I haven’t had any issues with it yet. I suppose if I do, I can flip on my hazards...
    9B04DB00-9C34-4A83-8E8E-3410D1274FD4.jpeg 92D64924-D8D7-402C-9F2E-EA47499DC4D9.jpeg
    MadM and Spyrious like this.
  8. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do the crayon lines fit in?

Also, I put my injectors back in without removing the throttle bodies. Those little metal puzzles finally paid off.
  9. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To indicate the factory magic goin on ;)

Valves adjusted and goin back together. the 'o-ring' that seals the coolant pump cover to the sidecover is leaking pissing its nice Toyota long life coolant allover my shop. Here goes another week waiting on dumb shit that I should have known better and ordered. Winged a buncha other incidentals in with the order, why not. Busy as all shit this week with other stuff anyway so it kinda works out. In a month or so though, this sucker better be ready for some Johnson Valley. I did prime the oil system without plugs, it's an order of magnitude quieter with some oil pressure, small victory there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(also reused the old gasket which cracked right at the cooling pump jacket to outside, causing the first leak)

[​IMG]
    i should know better.
    [​IMG]
    Crazygreek, gremlyn, braaap! and 2 others like this.
  10. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't want the mod to be too simple, so i added those extra crayon lines to add confusion. It looks like my plan is working!
  11. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cheers! that's very helpful! I have some of the HDB switches in stock too :)
    Sorry, another question. The sano tripmaster(?) switch block on LHS? Who, where, linky?
    Thanks again!
  12. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a Trail Tech "Striker remote switch" that i wired in as the Tripmaster. Like all things cool that Trail Tech made at one point, that switch is now also no longer available anymore. TT got bought out about 5-6(?) years ago. I used to be able to drive over there and just buy stuff off the shelf from them. Not anymore. Their policy changed with the new owners. Along with dropping LOTS of their product line. They used to sell a very affordable dual sport halogen headlight mask kit, some super slick illuminated TTO adjustable temp/volt gauges, terminal connector kits, ect. They have gotten rid of about 2/3rds of the products that they used to sell. The term "streamlining" was used multiple times in phone conversations that i've had with them. That switch retailed for only $25 too!
    braaap! likes this.
  13. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to keep the progression, just steepen the curve. I'm thinking of something like a backing shim underneath the PDS-piston comp stack to limit the maximum opening of the stack. Maybe, still thinking.
    Edit: Now that I look at these, I get the impression these are sort of rough "PDS emulators" for non-PDS shocks?
  15. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
  16. bobone

bobone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOVE IT!
  17. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think the hucks are for non PDS shocks, only reason i say that is there is a youtube video of Slaven talking about installing them on his KTM.

Unfortunately there seems to be more info on the fork side of the hucks then the shock side. I have talked to a few folks with them and they love them, claim they can just slam there bike through stuff and just keep going, granted i have only heard about them being installed on thumper stuff not big bikes, but I am pretty sure the 9x0 shock is really not much different internally to the ktm thumper shocks.
  18. bobone

bobone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

i changed the chain and sprokets. poor chain. it was long overdue. 25000km of mud and sand and rocks and not much cleaning.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  19. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did some researching, it still appears to emulate the PDS. I'd say it sits somewhere between the Touratech bump stop and the Real PDS and is the only on that is reasonably easy to retrofit. The PDS has the needle to control the transfer between the pistons and it can be re-valved. The TT-bump stop is just a hydrostop. The Huck has shims but the transition is propably a bit rougher, alltough, I'd imagine the cup cuold be machined so that it "leaks" a bit more when the Huck piston enters.
    I like the idea and would possibly try it on a conventional shock but I have the PDS shock from 950Adv on my SE, so I'll fiddle something with the valving. For stock SE shock, this could be something worth looking in to.
  20. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer: