What do you cook/eat when camping?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by tafflink, Dec 3, 2007.

1. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great looking little SVEA stove there!
    Laromonster likes this.
  2. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    Finally got to have some trout on a recent trip in the Mortimer/Wilson Creek/Craigs Creek area of North Carolina.

Didn't eat the Crawdads this time..

Wilson Creek Camp Site.jpg

Wilson Creek Camp Crawfish.jpg

Wilson Creek Camp Trout.jpg

Here's a video of that trip. Lot's of fun!

Bhart89, WRW9751, Maggot12 and 3 others like this.
  3. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    I freeze two Nalgene bottles of water
    Freeze meat marinade and all in a ziplock
    Put that in the twelve pack sized polar bear cooler along with a few cold beers (you can fit twice as many cans as bottles), cheese slices and peeled hard boiled eggs. And perhaps some fresh veggies. This all stays cold for 24 hrs or more. If the meat is still frozen when we get to camp Just leave it out to thaw while getting the tent set up. The water bottles will be half melted by morning to use for coffee. And the remaining ice will keep the eggs and cheese cold until that night when you resupply with beer and ice from the gas station. Be sure to fill the Nalgene bottles with ice cubes so you have melted usable water the next morning. Pair the eggs and cheese with a couple tortilla wraps and spam singles for breakfast. Along with a handful of mustard and mayo packets. Cooler gets strapped to the back seat
  4. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    If you lay the meat flat in the zip lock to freeze it fits between the beers better but thaws quicker. So for day two freeze the meat as balled up as possible so it takes longer to thaw. Also choose something that could be grilled or done in a fry pan in case you can’t get a fire going to cook on. Like steak tips. Or chicken breast. Also cooked seasoned taco meat freezes well. Google dorito bag tacos
    Tall Man and CampCowan like this.
  5. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crack your eggs into an olive jar (tall and skinny) then you can just pour them out one at a time.
    Takes up much less space than if you leave them in the shell.
    Bigbob1, Albie and sagedrifter like this.
  6. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    If you need stir fry veggies but don’t want to buy a ton. You can get what you need at the supermarket salad bar and they are pre cut Or go to subway and order a veggie sub with the bread on the side.
    FMFDOC likes this.
  7. Laromonster

Laromonster Lean, mean pacifist machine

Oddometer:
    I have a bunch of stoves, but that svea is my favorite!
    slane6, 16VGTIDave and nvklr like this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of stores are selling pre-cut veggies for meals in the produce section. I've seen sizes ranging from family down to single-serve.
    Tall Man likes this.
  9. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    I cook on a Old radius parafin stove i bought it used in 1973 to go on a school camping trip, still have it its only drawback is it needs Methylated spirit to get it started.
    I travel light and carry mostly packeted rice and corned beef because i like it and tinned mackerel fillets in tomato sauce, small and you can stack them tidy in a small space.
    Apples and i buy a lettuce if i get the chance. Mostly just max a week on the bike so i get by on this and tea. I have to have TEA! IM British it how we roll.
  10. Redhawk

Redhawk Follow Me

Oddometer:
  11. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm really enjoying this thread the past couple days. Its been awhile since I have read through it. I'm headed out solo for the weekend and am really wishing I would have started reading this past weekend. I could have put a few good ideas to use.

It's really encouraging me to up my game when it comes to camp cooking. I've always been a Mountain House cook, since I usually go straight for convenience and easy packing on the GS. I've spent quite a few years camping, mostly backpacking, but with some canoe camping and car camping thrown in for good measure. Camping off the GS has always just been an extension of backpacking, especially if I'm going with my wife - luggage space being a premium commodity.

So, this weekend, it will be Mountain House for dinner Saturday and breakfast Sunday. I'll fiil in the gaps with whatever I can find in the north central PA backwoods. Next trip out, though, I'll definitely have to get better prepared to do some real cooking and grilling.

I do go out of my way for bourbon, though. This weekend, its me and Elijah Craig....he's a great travel partner...never complains about the rough roads, the mosquitos or anything else for that matter. And a Hydroflask 64oz growler will keep ice ALL weekend long....if you like your bourbon on a bit of ice. ;)

:beer
    SmittyBlackstone and MaverickNC like this.
  12. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    TuonoBiker likes this.
  13. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been there - great recommendation!!!

This weekend I'll be up in Potter area - doing some camping - saturday I'd like to try to do the last section of the MABDR. I didn't get chance to swap on the TKC80's, so hopefully the TKC70's will suffice - if they've had the rain like we've had, things could be very muddy...
  14. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    TuonoBiker likes this.
  15. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was out for a couple of days this week and tried something new. On the way back to camp, I stopped at a Dollar General and bought a bag of frozen brussel sprouts. Back in camp, I made a cup of instant rice, added curry powder, and the warmed up brussel sprouts, and rolled up some burritos in flour tortillas.

I ate most of it, but it was horrible. Not recommended.
  16. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Ok first mistake, buying brussel sprouts, second mistake, buying brussel sprouts at Dollar General. Third mistake, not just dropping the brussel sprouts off in the nearest trash receptacle!
    eddyturn and TuonoBiker like this.
  17. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah - I'll second your comments. LOL.

Brussel sprouts are 'okay-ish' if baked on an open sheet in the over with olive oil and parmesean over them....and even then.... Meh....
  18. Gypped

Gypped Backyard Camper

Oddometer:
    My favorite is actually to cut them in half, then pan fry them in some butter and make sure the cut side is done to a crisp. Boiled is disgusting, steamed is barely edible.

I don't think I'd have even considered getting them for camp cooking. Maybe if you have an open flame and have some tin-foil to put them in with some butter or olive oil - two layers of foil so you don't have a flare-up, then toss them right into the fire?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  19. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    Fresh Brussels sauteed with butter/garlic/herbs/bacon is pretty great, but really as a side along a FAT ASS RIBEYE...

Can be a nice substitute for creamed spinach.
  20. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that's about the best option....period. :freaky
    SmittyBlackstone, FMFDOC and Gypped like this.