What do you cook/eat when camping?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by tafflink, Dec 3, 2007.

1. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On one of our camping trips a new initiate brought a big bag of gnocchi and some sauce for his meal, and no way to cook them. We had every Jetboil in camp going at once to turn out enough boiling water to cook those things.
  2. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't want to disparage anyone's particular tastes....for me, the quality of the meals isn't worth the price. The ramen and KD are cheap, light, compact and easy to re-stock along the way. They give you lots of calories in a hot meal for pennies. I have eaten a lot of the deyhdrated meals as well and the odd one is OK but overall they are pretty crappy. I usually don't cook in the AM...bagels, oatmeal, coffee. Snacks and fruit for lunch and then boil something on the stove for dinner. I also ate a lot of MREs over 30 years in the army....guess what we ended up eating the most of in Afg....Ramen, KD, Jerky....maybe they are just my comfort foods!
    rd400racer likes this.
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Good point on the cost and re-stock-ability, and they are certainly cheaper - but I'd prefer one of the known-to-be-good MH meals over those options. REI was running a 10% off backpacking meals if you bought 8 or more and I was teed up buy a bunch of new ones to try out, but never made the commitment. Maybe I need to give them a go.

Another option I like and I think I've seen mentioned here is the Tasty Bite stuff - if you don't Indian and you have to have meat, you're kind of out of luck, but I find all you have to do it boil up some water, turn off the heat, stuff the pouch in it and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. It comes out hot enough. The Bombay Potatoes are my favorite and I seem to be able to find them in most grocery stores around here.
    rwebell likes this.
  4. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Madras Lentils and Tikka Masala are my favorites. Since I don't mind washing a dirty pot I usually make pasta and drain while quite al dente. Then I dump the contents of the Tasty Bite package into the bowl of pasta which warms it up as the pasta finishes cooking.

Another similar food choice are the packages from Seeds of Change. Some times I'll mix the Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown Rice with the Tasty Bites Madras Lentils. Costco now has a Kirkland branded version of the Brown Ride and Quinoa.

All of the above taste better, IMHO, than anything I've tried from Mountain House. The Mountain House items don't weigh nearly as much, but since I'm on the bike I don't care about saving every possible ounce.
    rwebell and MaverickNC like this.
  5. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you take into account the water needed for the dehydrated meals, it is just easy to pack a couple of cans of soup, stew, chili, etc. I resupply at daily fuel stops, always keeping one can for unplanned schedule changes. Granola bars for breakfast and almonds and or jerky for lunch if I don’t eat at my fuel stop.
    SloMoShun, rwebell and MaverickNC like this.
  6. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chorizo and egg burritos. Powdered eggs or carton liquid eggs work. Tortillas toast real easy over fire.
    Use cheese and salsa to taste. Salsa can go bad once opened if not vinegar based. But old elpaso sells tenny weeny cans.
    If you can find em.

Sometimes. I pack up home made pre made perogis < baked > from the freezer . They keep good for about 2 days. Can eat cold or hot. I stuff ours with sauerkraut
    cooked into hamburger spiced with mexican stuff.
    katbeanz and MaverickNC like this.
  7. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    Solid option. I like to pack salsa packets, especially if I am solo. That or a tiny bottle of Tapatio.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a comment about availability of water above. I mentioned my son is in the outdoor goods business...he is a beta tester for this item and got me one too. The thing is just amazing as far as purifiers go. We took them along on our last trip back in December and know I can never be without it. https://grayl.com/
    WDG, IDRIDR, rokytnji and 1 other person like this.
  9. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    You can get Tapatio in small 1/4 oz. packets. You can buy them on Amazon, or you can grab extras at some fast food places depending the part of the country you're in. Of course, you can always grab packets from taco bell, del taco, etc that will get the job done. Definitely easier to carry than a jar or bottle of salsa.
    MaverickNC, rwebell and Albie like this.
  10. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://grayl.com/

Looks interesting. My MSR Mini Works EX still works fine, but doesn't protect against viruses. I'll keep this in mind as an option when it is time to replace the Mini Works cartridge.
  11. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
  12. taosgsr

taosgsr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow Looking through these posts I saw something that I did not think actually existed like Sasquatch or Manbearpig. A real honest to god Chargers fan! 3A3701AD-1B13-457D-90F4-B0C8CE4BEDA5.jpeg
    grantsdad, Albie and stbob like this.
  13. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    ts3doug and MaverickNC like this.
  14. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that has got to be one of the best camp-kitchens I have ever seen! 6 stoves, digital timers, all of the condiments, lots of booze....all that's missing is Gordon Ramsey
  15. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wanna see the motorcyle that cook kit fits in/on :1drink
    rwebell likes this.
  16. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    My name is Chris, and I'm a Chargers fan. :(
    taosgsr likes this.
  17. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best stove setup ever made for deluxe MC cooking. Another inmate special :clap:clap

Getting a tray for the two stoves made things perfect.

[​IMG]
  18. Gunerdo

Gunerdo fromwanerbe

Oddometer:
    interiorak likes this.
  19. KURT LAIN

KURT LAIN loco

Oddometer:
    Me gusta cocinar en viajes, con mi olla y cocinar con alcohol.

DSC_0199.jpg DSC_0204.jpg DSC_0170.jpg DSC_0231.jpg DSC_0093.jpg IMG_9264.JPG DSC_0173.jpg DSC_0095.jpg DSC_0167.jpg

Attached Files:

20. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    I don't know what he was saying. But that dinner sure looks good. Rustic cooking seems to make food taste better.
    I know. It's the fire.
    MaverickNC likes this.