What do you cook/eat when camping?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by tafflink, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    East or west, rivers often have a narrow end and a wide end.

I hopped from rock to rock while wearing a backpack to get across the Hudson River. Near Lake Tear of the Clouds, the Hudson River is pretty narrow.
  2. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This conversation reminds me of the Jordan River.

(That’s Israel on the west bank and Jordan on the east)

[​IMG]
    gpfan likes this.
  3. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Or the time I visited the historic Concord (river) bridge in MA. Or some parts of the "Big River" (Rio Grande). It's all in the perspective.
    Getting back on track, I bought a 6-pack of Udon Premium Noodle soup (Nongshim brand) from Costco that is a pretty good just-add-hot-water soup that is either good by itself or as a base for additions.
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  4. Secundius

Secundius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There use to a company that produced great "Retort" type complete meals (i.e. Vacuum Pack and easy to Reheat) called "Yurika Foods"! "Market Street" produces a fairly good tasty copy of their Reheatable food items and a 12-volt low heat food heater, MRE Heaters or sous vide will do, or even a simple cooking pan...
  5. Highway Hornet

Highway Hornet Major Fear

Oddometer:
  6. Toto1

Toto1 n00b

Oddometer:
    ” What do you cook/eat when camping? "

The first couple of days I eat veggies and other items I've brought from home out of the fridge/pantry - carrots, beetroot, mushrooms, salad greens, avocado, nuts, hemp seeds, bread, peanut butter, and a can of Amy's Kitchen organic soup. As well I like to pack a can of coconut cream, some matcha, cacao powder, cayenne pepper capsules (extra hot), Himalayan rock salt, . . . And I generally have one or two 1-litre plastic bottles of water as well as the two glass ones in the outside bottle holders of my panniers. The plastic-tasting water is for cooking, the glass bottles' water I save for drinking by itself.
    I keep an eye out for a Coles or Woolworths supermarket when I'm going through a town, where I can get more of the same sort of items; they mostly have an organic section I can restock from.

Around 4pm I usually start looking for a camping spot in the bush about 20km or so outside of the last town so I don't get bothered by hoons after the local pub closes. Sometimes I'll pay for a tent site in a caravan park if it's been a while since I've had a shower.

I generally have just the one meal a day, at night in my tent (it's called a 3-man tent but I don’t see it happening). My mini-collapsible chair, a Helinox-1, is an essential part of this; the under-side of the tent roof just clears my head when I'm sitting inside, enabling me to lounge in comfort while dining and reading or watching a video for company.

In warm weather I don't bother cooking but on cold nights I might chop up the veggies to add to Amy's soup with water and coconut cream, heated up on my tiny stove in my stainless steel cup from Amazon. I’ve been using the stove and the cup on camping trips for nearly six years {correction - around 4 years} and they still work like new. Thanks Jeff.

During the day I might pull up somewhere nice and make a hot drink of either matcha or cacao powder (aka hot chocolate) with coconut cream and a dash of salt and about a third of a cayenne capsule in boiling water. To store the coconut cream I carry a couple of small glass jars (in bubble wrap, yes) with me and when I open a can I put what's left into the jars. It lasts a day or two without going off, especially in cold weather.

Most days I’ll stop at a café and plan the next part of the trip on my iPad while sipping a long black. Caffeine for me tends to make an ordinary stretch of road enjoyable, and enjoyable riding doubly so. Not all country cafes make five-star coffee though, but I add a pinch of salt if it’s a tad bitter, as it can be when the espresso machine hasn’t been properly cleaned, and that greatly improves the flavour.
    I also have a magnesium tablet before a cup of coffee, dissolving it under my tongue while waiting to be served. This is good practice if you’re drinking more coffee on a trip than you’re used to having. Caffeine tends to deplete your body’s minerals and replenishing the Mg is thought to restore your taste buds and prevent caffeine jitters. If you decide to try this, look for an amino acid chelated formula rather than the usual magnesium sulphate or oxide. (I buy Doctor’s Best High Absorption Magnesium from iHerb.)

Hope there’s some stuff you can use in there Tafflink
  7. 6steve

6steve n00b

Oddometer:
    Tim hortons for breakfast , any grocery deli for the rest . No dragging cookware , stoves etc etc . Bike is so much lighter and honestly doesn't cost any more .
    Rogue_Ryder, Bultaco206 and gpfan like this.
  8. Adv Mike

Adv Mike Off the deep end

Oddometer:
    The experience is worth the extra cost. Even if it’s just crap ingredients you’re throwing in a pot, after a long day of riding it tastes better than anything store bought.

A backpacking stove and pot doesn’t weigh that much nowadays, or take up much room. My MSR fuel bottle also holds some extra fuel should I need it.
    MaverickNC and Grinnin like this.
  9. Highway Hornet

Highway Hornet Major Fear

Oddometer:
    Pancakes

10. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    wat?.......
  11. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dorf on cooking

Screenshot_20200705-100609_YouTube.jpg
  12. Ndlulamiti

Ndlulamiti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To me, it's about riding and backcountry camping, not gourmet dining.

No lunch - don't like eating before I've finished riding.

For dinner one of these
    1. Subway sandwich bought before heading into the sticks.
    2. Can of Denty Moore stew - some bread.
    3. Freeze dried backpacking food.
    Usually a few blocks of chocolate for dessert.
    Always have some scotch of bourbon on hand.

Breakfast:
    1. Coffee- Moka or Starbucks Via
    2. Instant oats.

Cooking stuff takes up much volume.
    eddyturn and gpfan like this.
  13. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Some of us enjoy eating well, cooking AND riding.
  14. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Yep, cooking is easy, fun and can be quick if planned well. A nice meal is like a nice scotch or bourbon, whether it's a quick bite in the morning or part of winding down at the end of a day. Why skimp when the effort is small and the benefits can be high? That is, if you know how to cook, haha.

One pot with a lid and a grate to go over a fire; you have a pot, a pan, an oven/roaster and a grill. There isn't anything you can cook at home that you can't cook with that.
    Migolito and MacG like this.
  15. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Therein lies the problem, I don’t plan anything well! :rofl
    CA-Cincinnatus and acesandeights like this.
  16. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    touché
  17. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer:
    Damn!!

I'd guess a truck stop roller dawg or two would be outta the question???
    BIG-E, Sonny S. and Ndlulamiti like this.
  18. njpaddler

njpaddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been a vegetarian since 1993. I'm an excellent cook. I love to eat. A motto in my family is " don't eat to live ,live to eat !" Am I painting a picture here?

MSR Whisperlite is 34 years old. I gave it some new rubber o-rings a few years ago, thanks Pep Boys! The cookware consists of some fairly newer stuff plus a government issue mess kit that's older than me. The folding fork and knife are from when I was a boy scout at 8 years old, 56 years ago.

I bought a food dehydrator decades ago and a big stack of the trays. I dry a lot of things put them in food storage bags and then pick from the supply when it comes time to prep a trip. I supplement with certain products from Trader Joe's that are partly cooked and sealed in vacuum bags or the small boxes of soups that don't require refrigeration. I eat very well while camping sometimes attracting unwanted visitors of the two-legged kind.

Oh,and the Indian market supplies me, too, with plenty of vacuum-packed flavor-packed choices that are easily heated, combined with rice, etc., and low-cost.
    I avoid the commercial dehydrated insanely overly salted stuff and control what I eat rather than take what I can find. I do occasionally eat fish so cans of Herring, mackerel, sardines, even better if I can find some fresh fish along the way are a welcomed change. Dried chunks of pineapple rehydrated make a fine dessert as do most of the fruits.

When out for a day of cross-country skiing I'll bring the whisperlite and have hot soup for lunch to the envy of other people and their rock-hard frozen peanut butter sandwiches.

Life is too short.
  19. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    How do you know if someone is a vegetarian? Just wait 10 minutes and they'll tell you!

Oh wait, is that vegans?

:hide
    BIG-E, CA-Cincinnatus, Albie and 4 others like this.
  20. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually one of the most annoying things about being a vegetarian is it being THE topic at every single meal with people outside of my own household. It’s annoying. Seriously, I don’t think I’ve been out to a single restaurant or meal with my extended family when my dietary choices don’t come up at some point.
    imnothng and Grinnin like this.