What do you cook/eat when camping?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by tafflink, Dec 3, 2007.

1. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer:
  2. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well...

:D

Technically, eggs were developed in the Lower Permian age (298 million years ago) by reptiles, predating dinosaurs (and thus chickens), so the egg came first. Science! :D
    Albie, Rusty J, gweaver and 3 others like this.
  3. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    This!

I don't normally camp/tour in Tim Horton's territory (I'd love to though!) but I generally do roughly the same thing. In the bike packing thread I posted my camp set up and noted that I didn't carry stoves/pots/pans etc and someone commented that money is lighter. If you're carrying around mountain house :puke1 meals that's probably more expensive! On my last Moto camping trip, most mornings I would get a long black at McCafe (Aussie McD's has some seriously good coffee for cheap) and grab some food at Wooly's for dinner and maybe a few items in the tail bag for lunch (fruit, trail mix etc.) of course I did grab hot food here and there, but never expensive meals. I spent minimal money on food for the entire week and never had to mess with cooking and lugging around the stuff to cook with. I usually do a camping trip or 2 every year to Moab and it's the same deal there, McD's in the AM with some trail snacks to eat during the day and going to City Market in the evening for food.

I've done the opposite as well; eating and drinking like a king traveling across the Alps. :dukegirl:drink
    zap2504 and gpfan like this.
  4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've started experimenting with inmate Joe motocross' Adjustaforks. Steaks, pork chops, chicken, brats, jalepenos, onions, tomatoes, frozen burritos, and whatever can be stuck with skewers. With a little wire or string a frozen pizza folds over and becomes a calazone. Bring a little foil for potatoes or other veggies. My last campfire Adjustafork meal was tequila and lime marinated bacon wrapped sea scallops.
    KIMG0723.JPG
    DyrWolf, nvklr, Ranchworld and 5 others like this.
  5. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    KIMG0714.JPG KIMG0710.JPG You can also grill something smaller using a Firebox which triples as a wood fired cook stove, grill, and alcohol fuel stove.
    DyrWolf, nvklr, DirtyOldMan and 3 others like this.
  6. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done some Adjustfork cooking too! Here's some bacon wrapped chicken.
    20200711_191541.jpg
  7. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    A package of Top Ramen, chunky peanut butter, a take-out pouch of soy sauce, and some red pepper flakes makes an acceptable cheap and fast pad Thai.

Tortillas keep and pack way better than bread or bagels.

Ramano and parmesan cheeses don't get all greasy skanky in hot weather. It worked for the Roman soldiers 2000 years ago and it works today for hot weather adventure riding.
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I just finished dinner not long ago and this thread still makes my mouth water. Keep up the good work.
  9. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    Micky D's in Moab? Seriously? Maybe next time try Hidden Cuisine or Sweet Cravings. A better way to start your day.
    Zubb likes this.
  10. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Good grief! Something else I just need to buy! (Thanks BTW)
  11. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same dinner, different angle:

20200711_191532.jpg
  12. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I've hit 'em all up to be honest; and even cooked eggs and made jet boil coffee in the campsite plenty. I just like the <5 mins in and out for a coffee and something quick before hitting the trails. And you're right sweet cravings is good and the last place I got breakfast on the way outta town, it just was a bit of wait. Eklectica Coffee is probably the best "good breakfast/coffee" in town that we've found. On the other side of the coin Moab Diner is probably the worst experience I've had food wise but it's been a good 8 years since I went in there.
  13. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @PNWet, that it some truly superb Adjustaforking. I'm pinching your recipe! Love the heat from the top too, well played, Sir.

I took 9 mates away camping last weekend in the 4x4s and cooked a huge feast but the principle is easily transferable to motorcycles/ cooking for a smaller number of people, all you need is a knife and some butcher's twine to create a small rig from locally sourced branches on which to hang meat over coals.

Hung chipotle chicken
    Seasoned in a dry rub with some olive oil and sesame seeds, that's it. Hang for an hour or more above coals, avoid burning by tying slip knots in the twine to shorten it, or using scres in the beam to wrap them around.
    REEY6975[1].JPG

Sweet and Spicy Sticky pork ribs
    I've used some fencing mesh here but it's easy to make a simple crucifix from one or two sticks if you have some twine and some fencing wire from the toolkit to attach the ribs so you can cook them asado style like the Argentinians do. It's also super easy to stuff a vacuum-packed rack of ribs in a pannier with some rub and a sticky sauce.
    IMG_2660[1].JPG

Smashing pumpkin

This used a lot of ingredients to dress it but on the bike, a small whole pumpkin would easily feed 4+ people, just lay it hot coals for a couple of hours ensuring it's covered in coals on the top too, then smash it and devour. Salt and pepper to taste and if you have anything else in the bike goodie bag then sprinkle/ squirt/ dress accordingly. I used tahini, fresh sage, mint, parsley, lemon and orange zest, pine nuts, pecans, red onion, chilli, yoghurt and pomegranate seeds but I'll never have that much on the bike so chilli flakes, s&p and some lemon juice would be a reasonable 'Motorcycle kitchen' substitute. Maybe some dried herbs too.
    EHGE1563.JPG
  14. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    BRUH!! I have to try that on the next motocamping trip! That look AMAZING and most of it already resides in my garden!

[​IMG]
    The Cone of Silence likes this.
  15. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very kind, thanks mate. One tip - when you take it out of the fire, give the skin a really good rinse and wipe down to remove ALL of the ash and grit. Maybe use a wet rag if you have one (a clean one, not an old one covered in gear oil or snot, obviously). That way you can eat the skin, too.
    MaverickNC likes this.
  16. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    When I do more than a couple of days Adventuring, I always take my BBQ. Ya just can't beat 'home cookin' on the trail.
    This is Carribian Jerk chicken wings w/ Jamaican Black Sauce and Greek vegetables.

Attached Files:

17. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

Really? The burnt ashy, soot'e skin is the best kind!

Damn, I bet you wash your hands before eating too!
  18. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to ride with some of you guys.
    DyrWolf and CA-Cincinnatus like this.
  19. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Is that the smaller UCO portable grill on top of the cast iron grill? Just curious why the 2-grill system. I recently bought the larger UCO grill and am planning on taking it on vacation to the Atlantic shore in a week or so.
  20. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Nope. This is actually a small foldable BBQ. It contains the charcoal/wood, so it compliant with usfs fire regs about fires. It's great for 1 or 2 people and cooked the wings right up. The other grill was located in a, um, closed campground so I wasn't wanting to push the envelope too far in using it. So, I just set mine on top. Besides, the small one works better.
    I recently got the UCO but haven't tried it yet.
    zap2504 likes this.