What do you keep in your jacket pockets?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by zeeede, Jul 18, 2012.

1. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently got a fancy new coat with tons of pockets, and I realized that I don't really have a use for all of them. My cell phone doubles for Navigation, so I have a RAM mount for it on the dash. On my daily commute, my keys and wallet live in my pants pockets under my overpants. On longer trips they ride in the tank bag. So the only thing I'm keeping in my pockets are:

Left side lower pocket:
    1. Fastlane (EZ-Pass) transponder
    2. Little plastic plate for under my side-stand

Key pocket on left sleeve:
    3. Spare set of ear plugs
    4. Earplugs and bike key when not riding

What else do you carry in your jacket?
  2. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I have the KLIM Adventure jacket.. it has more pockets than a pool parlor (I just made that up because I couldnt think of anything with lots of pockets??) :D Other than my water bladder I dont keep anything in them. I just dont want anything in my pockets if I have to truly use the jacket for what it is designed to do..protect me in a crash. I keep my EZ pass on the inside of my windscreen.. everything else in a tankbag or a pannier.
  3. djg

djg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garage door opener, nothing else.
  4. Wuwei

Wuwei Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some spare ear plugs, and nothing else unless I'm off the bike. I don't want to be stabbed by something like car keys in a crash, and I think my cell phone would be less likely to get smashed if it stays in my tank bag. Frankly, I think all the pockets in riding gear are ridiculous. They just add cost, wind resistance, and points of entry for water. My next jacket I'm looking for something with two slash zippered pockets max on the outside. Same with pants.
  5. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I keep my cell phone in my jacket pocket so if I crash and slide off the road, down a gully and into the bushes I can call (!) for help. That's the theory anyway. Might start keeping a mini bottle of JD there for same reason. I think this whole thread is kinda girly.
  6. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep a whistle and a small lighter in one of my lower pockets. These may save my ass one day. A copy of my insurance and reg. in a ziploc baggie in the inside chest pocket. The originals are stashed in the bike. Spare key wrapped in black tape in the small arm pocket. And 200 bucks in a secret inner pocket to deal with the unexpected need or desire.
  7. sillymike

sillymike Yep! That's me...

Oddometer:
    Front right pocket
    - Flashlight with spare battery
    - Cell phone

Front left pocket
    - wallet/bank card
    - some gingerchew :evil

Rear pocket
    - Lighter
    - Emergency blanket
    - Advil
    - Whistle
    - Granola bar

Inside pocket (in a waterproof case)
    - registration and insurance paper
    - $$

Clip on the outside, right side
    - Folding knife
  8. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Scattered around my Darien jacket, I have:

Extra earplugs
    Change
    Small notepad/pen
    Petzl E-Lite
    Silk scarf
    Bandana
    Glove liners
    Hand sanitizer
    Baby wipes
    Kleenex
    Phone
    Multitool
    Whistle
    iPod shuffle/ear plug speakers
    Lighter
  9. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I often think I am carrying too much stuff, but on my Rally 2 jacket I bring:

Lower right: damp cloth to wipe out helmet visor (on the go if needed)
    upper right: cell phone
    left forearm: ID with medical and insurance data, money for toll booth
    rear: glove liners, earplugs, tie wraps, aerostich wind triangle. :evil
  10. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:

I tend to subscribe to this strategy as well. That being said, looking at folks' suggestions here, I'm thinking a copy of the registration (mine's under the seat in the bike; cop probably won't like having to wait for me to dig it out), maybe a photocopy of my license and insurance card, and some quarters for parking meters will be added to my every day kit.

I forgot to mention originally, but I keep a spare key for the panniers in my jacket too.
  11. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh! I forgot to mention eye drops, they have saved my day more than once.:1drink
  12. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chest pocket: ezpass and a plastic bag with registration and insurance

Left pocket: earplugs and keys

Right pocket: credit card

Sent from my Android
  13. Wuwei

Wuwei Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are other reasons to not carry stuff in your jacket, despite the primary one being that they become weapons when you crash. I still think the cell phone is completely vulnerable in a pocket too. I prefer to keep almost everything I want to carry not in my clothing. What if I want to switch jackets at the last minute because it is raining? It would be really easy to leave something critical in the old jacket. I have needed to show my registration to a cop once in the last five years--having to get it from under the seat added maybe one minute to that encounter. Also, In New York I have found that a copy of your registration or license doesn't cut it--they want to see the real thing. Anything in the pockets, at least on my jackets, is vulnerable to water if I am caught in a frog strangler. Not having important stuff in my pockets makes it easy to just take off the jacket, leaving it on the bike, and walk into a restaurant or store. If you're like me, I can't remember which pocket I put the credit card or the keys in--easier keeping the cards in the wallet, which is in a small waterproof case, with my camera, my keys, etc. I just grab that case from the tank bag when I need to leave the bike. When I'm not on the bike, I know all my stuff is still in the wallet so I don't have to hunt through my jacket pockets for critical stuff. As you can see, I'm not a motorcycle jacket pocket fan.
  14. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    This is most of the stuff I keep in mine..........................

[​IMG]
  15. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my RC:
    Left chest pocket: camera
    Right chest pocket: Spot tracker, papers, GPS and Radar detector will go in there too if I'm off the bike and not comfortable with my surroundings.
    Right arm: tire pressure gauge
    Left cargo pocket: change, small bills, and smokes
    Left hand pocket: trash
    Right cargo pocket: extra ear plugs and ibuprofen
    Right hand pocket: current ear plugs, lighter, and keys
    Right leg pocket: zip ties and safety wire.
  16. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Fieldsheer jacket has more pockets than I can use.

First rule of thumb, I don't carry anything hard (like tools) that can puncture me if I fall.

upper inner chest pocket containngs my wallet (its small).
    lower inner pocket is for my cell phone (the pocket is made for cell phones).
    left upper outside chest pocket has my insurance card (laminated so sweat or rain don't kill it).

That's it. If anyone needs me to carry their stuff, I have several pockets still available.
  17. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

From my point of view, I try to carry everything in my jacket. :D

One of my prerequisites for my latest one (Firstgear Kenya) (which I love, btw) was as many pockets as possible.

Lower left pocket always is:

- my wallet and only my wallet. Couldn't stand to carry it in hip or front pants pocket, or have it out of my reach, ever!

Right lower pocket always is:

- tiny contact lens eye drop emergency bottle
    - ultra compact folding reading glasses in a cool, flat black magnetic catch micro case.
    - small "rollaids" size tube for carrying Advil
    - occasionally tictacs or other fresh and minty stuff

Cell phone goes in "cellphone" pocket inside the lower left interior jacket space provided for that.

This jacket has two giant cargo pouches in the front chest, that have multiple internal dividers for seperate little things and organization.

If I'm going to be mailing some letters, and I don't have a tank bag on my bike, there is lots of room to put the letters in one of the chest pockets. Same with maps, receipts, bank deposits etc. Stuff that I want quick and easy access to, that are not tucked away in a pannier/tankbag/whatever, and not something I want to be leaving sitting out on my bike anyway.

If the weather is cold and rainy, I'm going to be wearing the jacket, as it *is* my rain jacket. And I can put a knit cap in either chest pocket as well, to put on after taking helmet off.

Another reason for getting this particular jacket, was in adition to it being an awesome rain protector, it has the most vents I could find, for multi-season use, too. Water resistant pit vents, chest vents, forearm vents and back shoulder vents, let in a positive hurricane of inlet airflow.

It rains a *lot* here (Vancouver) and all the vent zips are always bone dry inside.

Throughout various compartments in the cargo pockets, are strange litle things, like a ziploc bag with a couple of Morroccan Mint tea or similar, in case the place I stop, indoors or out, doesn't have what I'm in the mood for drinking. A couple bandaids, some micro tweezers, hangnail clippers, silicone earplugs, a Sanza Fuse mp3 player and earbuds, and so on.

Little, everyday convenience items that are of the: "Gee, I wish I had a..." variety.

I've been in a zillion bike accidents, and I can't say anything I've had in my jacket pockets has ever harmed me or caused me to worry. Sure, it's always a possiblility I guess, but I don't carry things like fountain pens or hunting knives in there, with the slightest exception of the cell phone, I am willing to "chance it" on being the cause of my biking demise. :lol3
  18. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you forgot the kitchen sink!

:huh Sir Crash-a-lot?
  19. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been said but hard things will break bones if in your pockets
  20. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the hard stuff in my pockets is softer than the asphalt, also softer than guard rails, bikes, cars, etc. Now, I don't carry anything pointy!