What do you need to get your bike into mexico?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Powder Hound, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Powder Hound

Powder Hound Fear and Loathing

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I think I'm off to mexico for a month in late April for work... Looks like they are going to pay for me to attend a Spanish Immersion Course for three weeks. Yea! What all documents do you need to get your bike into Mexico? It looks like I'll be attending a course in Guanajuato. I'll be coming from SLC and I think I am going to cross at El Paso... This won't be my first time to Mexico and I've been to CA and SA several times but this will be the first time entering by vehicle...

Thanks!
  2. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
  3. perkgana

perkgana az-peru

Oddometer:
    you need title, registration, mexican insurance and a credit card or cash (i think about 300 bucks) that you get back when the bike leaves mexico.
    Also I would recommend to get an International drivers license from AAA so if you have any problems with police they can take that one away and you keep your American one in your pocket ;)
    Also Take a ziplock bag and put the documents in there cause if they get destroyed then you dont get your money back
    enjoy
  4. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can and should take,,,, a very good color copy of your title, leave the original at home !!! regerstration, credit card, driver license, it will be necessary for you to get your 180 day visa,,, get a copy of visa to take with you to get bike paper work so you don't stand in line only to be told to go get a copy... you will need a passport to re-enter USA, so take this with you to obtain your 180 day visa..... NOW !!!!! when you leave Mexico BE SURE !!! to return your bike paper work and sticker for varifycation of bike removal from country, (let THEM remove the sticker from bike), then return and clear out the VISA before leaving country,, BIG PROBLEM and fine for not doing so.. (if you ever plan to return to Mex.) GOOD LUCK !! and have a fun trip. you will not be asked for insurance, but you WILL NEED it if you have a problem ... Travel seems to be getting easier in Mexico, I just returned three days ago from a 16 day trip, traveled to the Guatamala border, (did not cross, another story) and back and never once was asked to produce any documents, (kept bike sticker in my pocket and was not asked about that) only thing I was ever asked was,,,"how much did your bike cost" :-),,,, tell them a low $ amount so not to look like a rich American
  5. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine carries his State of Texas ID card. The ID card is very similar in appearance the Texas driver's license. When asked for his DL he gives them is ID card. If the cops decides to keep the ID card, no big deal. With that said, no official has ever decided to keep his ID or my driver's license. Just saying.... In the event you're really paranoid..
  6. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know where you are located but several riders who are not as blessed as those of us on the border (5 miles from my house) have been able to get all the necessary paperwork at the local Mexican consulate. By the way, I live in El Paso and ride regularly south of the border.

As stated, you will need your registration and/or title, driver's license, credit card with the same name as the registration. A passport is not needed at this time but the ports are requiring proof of US citizenship as well as a picture ID (think birthcertificate and driver's license if you do not have a passport).

Mexican insurance is not required but only a FOOL would ride south of the border without liability coverage. Good luck. And if you are crossing at El Paso, think Santa Theresa POE. It is 12 miles east of El Paso off Exit 8 from I10. Give me a call as the time gets closer if you need anything 915 588 5054
  7. BCRides

BCRides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good info above...

If any of the bikes have a lien, you will need a letter from the lienholder giving permission to take the vehicle into Mexico.

+1 on the Santa Teresa POE. Live in El Paso near rpilottx and the Santa Teresa POE. Feel free to call for more info, help, or a coffee/beer when passing through - but not March 8-17th - will be riding CC/Baja!! :wink:

(915) 526-2404