What do you think about Oil Additives?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Nriku, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Nriku

Nriku Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all!

I'm about to make an oil change to my KTM 990 Adventure S and I'm thinking on filling this oil additive before putting the new oil:
    https://www.aditivox.com/xenum-mflush

I want to put it meanly because gears are a little bit rough (something "normal" on all bikes with oil about to change), the fact that the last time that I did an oil change there were a few metallic parts in the screens and also because the clutch lubrication tube was clogged 3 months ago and I needed to open the case and solve it.

Has anyone tried this brand? Another one?
    What's your opinion?

Thanks!
  2. getonyourbikeandride

getonyourbikeandride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just say no to all additives. Use a good 4-stroke motorcycle oil, everything you need is in that.
  3. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont see any point in additives either.
    These engines take tons of abuse with no problems if the oil is changed frequently. Mine is at 90k km now and there is stile metal in the magnet and screen avery once in a while. But since it still works as a 950 should, I believe there is still some left in right places.
    The rollers on the shift fork might go bad if you keep hitting stuff with the shift lever and that will make the shifting sticky but only additive to prevent that would be some sort of sedative for the driver.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  4. Steve27

Steve27 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ditto - good quality modern oils have outstanding additive packages ‘built in’. Best to stick with them unless there is real evidence to do otherwise. That evidence is difficult to come by without a very expensive laboratory.........
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  5. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    stay away from oil additives unless u are going to do used oil analysis before, during and after using the additive, to see results. Reason most additives can completely disrupt the add pack of the oil you are using and thereby cause excessive wear.

diesel oils are better and more cost effective.

http://www.lngpublishing.com/LNGmagazine/index.cfm
    this months issue
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/e9f4b3fd#/e9f4b3fd/1

see article Two-wheelers love oil too!

JASO spec'd motorcycle oil are basically the same specs as heavy-duty diesel oil standards.
    JASO does not test oils, manufactures pay a fee to JASO and state their oil meets the specs.

see article, another grade for the heavy-duty upgrade?

even better diesel oils coming into the market much better wear protection and using a 10w30 for better mpg.
  6. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Likewise no to oil additives. I am by no means an oil expert, but deal with quite a bit of oil analysis at work with people who do know a lot about engine oils. No additives, as you have no idea how it will interact with the additives already int he oil as Trailrider200 said.

Generally, more frequent oil changes are always better, and are going to do more for your engine than additives. You may get away with two oil changes per filter change - with how I use my bikes, I tend to change the oil around 1500 miles and change the filter every other oil change. On longer trips where I'm not purely off road, I will stretch that out quite a bit more.

Use an oil weight that is in line with manufacturer recommendations, especially on the "hot" side of the number considering the performance nature of our engines. That means no 5w40 or 15w40 in my book. I tried it once out of necessity and instantly had a noisy engine when hot off road. Typically, I use 20W50 due to availability. Bearing clearances, piston clearance, ring pack, etc. are all designed with a specific oil capability in mind. Modern engines that use XXW20 and XXW30 oils have much tighter tolerances to be able to handle them.

Diesel oils can be a good fit in some cases, as current CJ-4 and CK4 oil designations require a very capable oil to be able to deal with soot, fuel dilution, acidity and volatility, and viscosity stability over the extended oil drain intervals required by today's diesel market. However, I am not sure how relevant those capabilities are for a gasoline engine with a wet clutch in the oil. I typically recommend motorcycle-rated oils because of the clutch. I have seen too many slipping clutches from incorrect oils to want to risk it.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  7. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    diesel oils do not have the additives that can cause clutch slippage which gasoline engine oils have.
  8. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    How does an diesel oil cope with motorcycle transmissions?And what about oils that are both for gasoline and diesel engines?For example Castrol Supercar 10W60?
  9. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    did u see my above post about JASO?
    transmission gears are not cut whereas they highly shear motor oils. many automobile manual transmissions many yrs ago used automotive oils, and now just about all use transmission oil. The gears and how they are cut in final drives are the type that highly shear oils.
    Spyrious likes this.
  10. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Yes i saw that and i checked the magazine in the link you posted,but it wasn't very clear to me (english is not my native language).
  11. Nriku

Nriku Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your recommendations!!

I think that the answer is clear: just use recommended oil, renew it frequently and avoid additives.

I will follow your comments, thanks again!!
  12. armstrongracer

armstrongracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone is pretty much correct here, stay well clear of additives and stay well clear of car oils too in my opinion. Some of the trace additives they put in car oils like Molybdenum disulphide can cause permanent clutch slip. This advice is based on 25 years of racing experience, 20 years as an automotive engineer and a degree in Metallurgy.
    TheBritAbroad likes this.