1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by LowPSI, Jun 28, 2020.

1. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This story about the 1989 National Championship has been around the sport for a long time, but now you have it in Ryan's own words. From the latest issue of On The Pegs.

RYP story 1989.png

RYP story 1989 middle.png

RYP story 1989 end.png

Attached Files:

Takataka likes this.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trials have always been about the rules. Those that take advantage of said rules clearly had the advantage. That is why the rules should have never changed from no stop. Trials was supposed to be a gentlemans sport. Any time you change to time limits, the original idea of the best rider changes to the smartest rider in time management
    When we went to stop and hop with out time limits, it became a circus. And that change has created chaos. We have been chasing our tail ever since.
    Dorian and DyrWolf like this.
  3. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He should be embarrassed to tell that story.
    Beatprojim, LowPSI and Whiskeywarlord like this.
  4. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess that helped him get where he is today and it seems like he has used his success for the best of the sport, so whatever.
    I don't think that kind of a win would feel so great though at the time..
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I think Ryan would have made an excellent competitive road cyclist. It's all about tactics and using them to your advantage.
    North ride likes this.
  6. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that it matters much what people think... but it is an interesting story and shows when somebody is fully committed to a sport and to "winning" they may do things they wouldn't otherwise do... it is fine to think you would be the better sportsman and not take advantage of a possible flaw in the rules - but this isn't the sportsman class is it. The more surprising thing to me is that "everyone" knew what he was doing and they never changed the rules to level the playing field. It is also an excellent demonstration of how getting into somebody's head can really mess up their game.

My own personal opinion is you can win a race and still be a loser - but that is coming from somebody who rides sportsman (and never wins) :-)
    MATTY, jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back then, with no clock for a section you could slowly disqualify your competition. The only thing a rider could do is punch a section to get around your competition. Better to take a 5 or 10 than to dnf an event.
    MATTY, North ride and jonnyc21 like this.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    So did they call it the Ryan rule when they changed it?
  9. flo10

flo10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What makes you think they changed the rule? There is a time limit in the sections now which would make it more difficult to run down the clock; however, a rider could still use this tactic to gain an advantage over another Rider if there was a tight time limit to finish. Seems like a legitimate tactic within the rules. You should just be smart enough not to show your hand so people don't think you're being unsportsmanlike.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually that is the problem with modern day scorers. They ar just dying to show a rider the best line. It just drives me crazy to have to wait out everybody so a scorer does not do this.
    Through the years the best way to hide the best line is to include a real stupid line with it. In our club its called the BOB LINE.
    North ride, Huzband and Yinzer Moto like this.
  11. wheelieman14

wheelieman14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chasing after Championships, sometimes takes thinking "outside the box". From routines that put you in your comfort zone, to competitive strategies that provide an ever so slight edge over your competition. The experience of having a multi-Champion explain real life scenarios at TTC is something that "stuck" in my head from Ryan Young's "Section Strategies" class at Trials Training Days. I credit Ryan Young for his insight that helped me win my 1st NETA Championship in 2017. No, I'm not giving away that key concept; since it is something I keep in my arsenal.
    fprintf likes this.
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    So in '95 I put a kick starter through my leg and cannot ride the next event. The guy that is trying to catch me in points 5's a section that I am spectating. I jump on the scorers bike with no gear on at all and clean it. I still won the ExPert class that year, and that ride caused him to lose that day.:photog
  13. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The beauty of Trials is it's a personal test of skill. It can be competitive but there is still respect among competitors.

In Basketball, Football, Soccer, Hockey your competitors can interfere with your performance. It's part of the game/rules.

Imagine someone trying to block you in a section.

I rode in one of the most competitive eras in US Trials. Ultra competitive. We would never have tried that crap. If anyone had , they would have found themselves paying for it.
    Trialsguy, y4m4, oldtrialer and 4 others like this.
  14. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best part is we are still around. :thumbup
    Trialsguy, oldtrialer and LowPSI like this.
  15. mmanniko

mmanniko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recall things a bit different than Ryan on the details, it was a LONG time ago. I was pissed for sure but don't think I 5'd the last 3 sections, I was considering just punching one to get past. The mind games back then were quite different with taking so much time on the 1st loop and racing for the last two. I certainly liked winning but for me that was not the ultimate goal. You have no control over who shows up. To me the most successful day is one where I rode to my potential, even if it was not a "win". I have been fortunate to spend time around quite a few World and National Champions and am quite happy with the way I approach competition, even at the highest level.
  16. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark, you've always had and always will have, my respect as a rider and a man.
    mmanniko, oldtrialer, Brewtus and 4 others like this.
  17. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very interesting story.

A interesting fight scene in Game of Thrones, Bron bests an honorable knight. The queen cries out that he did not fight honorably. Bron points to the hole the dead knight dropped through and said, "Yeah, but he did!"

Here, at 8 minutes, but they cut the comment out:
  18. CDMAN

CDMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everyone knows the rules and can use them as they see fit.
    We all have our strategies to place as high as we want.
    The best part of trials is that it is an individual sport and the real competition is to ride at your best and better than you did last time.

I do agree that going away from no-stop greatly altered the sport and atmosphere.
    y4m4 and mmanniko like this.
  19. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish sometime I was THAT driven, consistently. I'm not. I factor in lifestyle and whether or not I'm having fun - really. That tendency just gets worse as one ages - or should. It's why after the 2018 Colorado national I said no more nationals - again. It was interesting but why travel THAT far to just get pissed off?

I've ridden motos with a serious back injury and cried the whole time from pain. What the hell? Yes, I've had the competition demon. I've lasted through 50-mile cross country races when nearby ten horses dies form heat stroke. Why?

I do admire people that are ultra focused and competitive, very driven. That's just not me anymore.
  20. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I don't fault Young for doing what he did. If it was me, I might not tell the story the same way.

We often hear stories like this and cheer them on (Lancia winning the last WRC championship with the RWD Stratos when the Quattro first came on the scene comes to mind).

This is what motivates me in this awesome sport. Struggle on the first loop, see the light on the second loop, and clean that bastard of an obstacle on the third. It doesn't always go that way, but it does often enough to keep me hooked. It's not always a clean: sometimes my favorite sections, or biggest learning opportunities, come from sections I can't clean. Getting through on a 1 in a section I five'd (or thrity-three'd) is often quite the feat.

I don't have a competitive bone in my body. I love riding. I love the challenge. I love being around [most of] the people who participate in this sport. The more of this I do, the more I enjoy helping the clubs out. This is my third year in trials and my motivations are already shifting.

I try to tell the newbies to just have fun! And not to worry much about the scores. The score should be a measure of your growth that day. It doesn't work for everyone, but I encourage the riders in my group to do the same when I see them getting frustrated. I find that managing your frustration levels is really important in a sport where we're given a lot of time to dwell on minor mistakes between sections. Turning that flow state on-and-off thirty times in a day can be very difficult.
    SherpaT, Norman Foley and oldtrialer like this.