What do you use to keep track of routes/locations you want to ride on?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Anby, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What website/tool/app do you use to mark spots/routes that you would like to visit in future?

Essentially I want to make a repository of routes/locations that I can integrate with Google maps (or something like that). Many a times I read these amazing trip reports or hear about a particular location, make a mental note about it and then forget about it. A lot of times I have traveled to amazing areas for riding only to not rent a motorcycle, well because I didn't remember it then. This is partly because I have no good way of organizing it. Right now I use Roadtrippers to find points of interests if I travel somewhere but it isn't really for what I need.

Thanks,
    Anby
  2. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I keep files under the name 'Destinations' in the Bookmarks on my computer, eg: a file for Turkey, Peru, Colorado, etc. I just record the links to maps or posts I want to remember.

Later, if I decide to get serious about a place, I'll enter the routes info and points in a similar file in Garmin Basecamp. From there to my GPS when I go.

...........shu
  3. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it. I do use bookmarking to some extent, but I have not figured out a way to optimize it. Gotta keep trying I guess.
  4. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i like tomtom mydrive works well with my tomtom rider 550 or the tomtom app ...

https://mydrive.tomtom.com

only thing I miss is the ability to make folders for ride organization :(
    Anby likes this.
  5. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Similar here.
    Collecting the links/ Gmaps etc. in bookmark sub-folders.
    When the time comes for a particular area/ region I usually have a good base-idea about timing/ places/ distances/ POIs etc etc.
    Then it's time to string it all together, in my case via papermaps and highlighter/ marker.
    All crucial info is transferred/ marked/ written to the papermaps to add to the already existing base-info printed (fuel availability/ accom-contacts/ supplies....cold beer stops!!)
    Papermaps are always 1:200.000 or better to supply alternative info/ routes/ POI's/ accom-details etc. in case of road closures of some kind, running late due to some circumstances, repairs, flats, injury etc.

It also makes contact with the locals extremely easily and instantly, nothing better than a papermap on a table with half a dozen pairs of eyes scanning it for the tips and places they want to impart. :-)

[​IMG]
    conrado, 9w6vx, Gham and 3 others like this.
  6. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What Shu said.

Anby likes this.
  7. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    I trace route in Microsoft Street & Trips and then save in a "rides to do" file on my desktop. Can review them off line, etc.
    Anby likes this.
  8. Dustinbrwn

Dustinbrwn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just use Osmand+ on my android for all my navigation. I have it set up to automatically record my tip when i open it, and it automatically saves the track as a GPX file that I can import or save to whatever.
    Macho Man2 and Anby like this.
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been trying the ToGoList app on my iPhone. It’s, not bad.
    Gham likes this.
  10. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    i now run my Garmin GPS 60CSX as a GPS data logger and download the track as soon as I get home. Put track in a folder, then I import it in Base Camp... clean it up and if I like the result , replace the original gpx with the cleaned out version...
  11. Gham

Gham past expiration date Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you still like to have a paper map grab an old copy of Road Runner Touring and Travel magazine,in the back are ads from everywhere for free maps! I sent off for all they had and some are great for local info.

Here in Michigan we have about 9 months of winter so I have plenty of time to go over the literature. :lol3
    9Realms likes this.
  12. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I'm old school, I just use my mind.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    My memory.
  14. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maps
  15. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    I keep folders arranged in Basecamp by state or country. I save interesting stuff as I find it for later reference.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  16. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basecamp, all organized by state in my "Someday" folder. POI, routes, tracks, with notes and web links, recommended restaurants, lodging, campgrounds, hiking trails, twisty roads, etc. A sub-folder for each state. Double-click a folder and Basecamp zooms to show everything in that folder for easy browsing.
    Omegart, Jeff Sichoe, 9w6vx and 2 others like this.
  17. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    After mucking around with most of the options available I have settled on Garmin Basecamp. It's super easy to drag and drop various tracks into a new route, and share with friends etc.

Plus, it keeps its own library of tracks, points etc so you will always have access to your total gpx library.
  18. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    Mine crashes repeatedly (specially in 3D mode), so I use it in 2 D mode and do a manual save and exit every 5 min to save my work.

I wish it had a crtl+s kind of thing to save the database ...
  19. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    I’m finding that mine is getting a bit flakey and unreliable as the years add up. Unfortunately it’s now out of warranty.
    Mike Dirt, Macho Man2, Gham and 2 others like this.