What does a horse cost in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by thetourist, Apr 17, 2012.

1. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I'm curuous. What would it cost to pick up a calm horse or mule at the Mexican border. On the Mexico side.

I don't speak spanish and can't find a web site for an auction.

For instance if I were to walk across at Aqua Prieta and buy a local horse, what would it cost?
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    You can buy a horse off the meat wagon for a few hundred dollars, or you could buy a world class dressage horse, jumper, reining, race horse, etc., for over a million.
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's one for 50 pesos:

:dhorse:
  4. thetourist

Oddometer:
    I realize there is a large variation. I grew up on a cattle ranch.

Here in Idaho you can get a fair horse for $1000 if you shop around. Sometimes less. That would be a 15 yr old mixed breed, or a rank young horse. There are plenty of $5000+ papered boutique animals around here.

That is why I said a calm horse. I'm not interested in anything you have to ride down in the morning. Just a plain ol' healthy animal that isn't too fussy. I'm just not sure if horses are more or less expensive in rural Mexico where they are work animals and not pets.

If anyone is a horse person, are Sonoran prices similar? Could I get an animal near the border, ride it a few hundred miles and resell it?

I'm contemplating riding from Aqua Prieta to one of the Copper Canyon towns and back. 10-20 mi per day, depends on the horse. I might need a pack animal. I'll be on a fixed income.

What if I rode my bike to a ranch south of Aqua Prieta. Morelos, Huachinera, Moctezuma, etc. cheaper? or not.

Can anyone more fluent is Spanish explain this? " burro para su venta € 450.00" Is this 450 pesos for a burro or 45000 pesos I Couldn't figure it out with a translator.

I considered a burro with small two wheel wagon. Just a 3X4 box on an axle. Just big enough tto carry a couple cans of water and a sack of oats plus my back pack. I have no idea how far a burro can travel in a day.
  5. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    The police chief in Agua Prieta has a burro for sale.

:mulie

By the way that price in your last post to me looks like 450 pesos. Not sure what that moon symbol you placed before the price is.
  6. exotesthrasouden

exotesthrasouden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the symbol for the Euro, the currency in the EU. On the mac you make it with shift+option+2

:1drink
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Ah, so that burro is for sale in Barcelona :deal :freaky
  8. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the punch line.
  9. thetourist

Oddometer:
    BARCELONA !!

I typed "burro para su venta Sonora" and assumed Mexico. I think I am in trouble. I am going to be so fleeced. :rofl

I may go back to my original plan of trekking across the Montana/Wyoming plains. Although I do like the idea of riding into a Mexico village on a burro cart.. I saw a great hat in Dillon Montana. Add a wooly serape. The whole cliche.

What impressed me about Sonora is that people still live off the land. I would stop in the middle of seemingly nowhere, and I would see a small house on a hill or someone would walk out of the weeds and say hello. Once I was stopped ina serious sand pit. Exhausted, slumped over my bars, I looked up and saw horse and lean rider in the brush. He was just watching my crazy antics. When our eyes met he just said "Hola" I returned "Hola, heavy work" He nodded, and that was the extent of our conversation.

It reminded me of my youth when a couple pickup drivers could stop in the middle of the road, window to window, and commence chatting.
  10. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    So funny....30 years ago was our plan to do just that, maybe a good thing that we were turned back at the US border.:wink:

Not too bad to eat them Burros when chopped up in Tacos.A little sweetish but...!!!:wink: Had to sop up all that Mescal/Tequila anyway and only place still open that night served Tacos de Burro.

Next day....met the American guy I was drinking with, then he mentioned them tacos tasted funny. No wonder I pointed at the sign that said "Carne de Burro y Vaca"...then across the street the basket containing the head and hooves of such animal. I tought he was going to puke right there....!:lol3
  11. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Importing any living thing into the USA is not gonna be easy.

I don't know about horses or Mexico, but animals and meat in general tends to be more expensive in developing countries. They don't have mega farms and economies of scale we have.
  12. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try googling Granjas Carroll de Mexico
    Trust me, there are some mega farming operations in Mexico, many more than you think.
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    You have not seen avocado production in the state of Michoacán
  14. pax maac

pax maac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here you go, MercadoLibre, the Mexican eBay. Horses for sale- http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/venta-caballos

Realistic prices range from $3,000 Mexican Pesos to $45,000 USD. I'm ignoring all the 50 peso ads. Don't forget to bargain the price down.

The 2 listings from Sonora are for $10,000 US. Not quite what you're looking for I imagine.
  15. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could direct you to a herd of feral burros. If you could catch one, you could save some pesos!
  16. thetourist

Oddometer:
    thanks Pax Maax.

SR...do you think I could get a line on a burro from my cycle :lol3

So I searched around. I found a $200 chicken. I don't think he was for eating.

The horses and cattle listed are near the same price as here in Idaho.

I did see saddles at about $300, is that right. Seems cheap. They were basic work saddles with lots of wood showing.

Found a burro at $100. Not many burros listed.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw a burro being worked in Mexico. Mules and horses, only.

I had an acquaintance who took off on a horse thru the wilds of Idaho, bound for Montana. I thought he was nuts at the time, but now have a better understanding.

This may be a pipe dream, but I have been thinking about it for quite a while.

Aqua Prieta, Morelos, Huachinera, Moctezuma, Sahuaripa, Yecora to Alamos would be a great ride at festival time.

I like how this donkey just hangs there like "here we go again"

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=420 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/bxJOhOna9OQ?version=3&hl=en_US allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or mangoes, or tomatoes,or melons,or grapes,or coconuts,or green onions,or sugar cane,or,well, I guess you get the idea?