What does 'Maximum permissible load' mean?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by JohnRansom, Apr 13, 2021.

1. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My father, brother, and I are going to ride the TAT this summer, and I have been getting nitpicky about some stuff.

I am on my 790 R, my brother on a 390, and my dad on an Africa Twin DCT so he can still go despite his numb foot making shifting difficult (thank you, Honda, for making ADV riding possible there).

Anyway, my dad is 6'3" and heavy. We have already done some test rides on parts of the TAT as well as in some really nasty muck and rocks that I think will not be common on our trip.

Due to weight and such, naturally my dad's luggage will also be comparatively heavy. Here is the trouble. The Africa Twin lists around 392 pounds as its max weight. This seems really odd to me, as for the 790 the manual lists close to 1000 pounds as the 'maximum permissible weight' which I will of course not be anywhere near.

How could the AT be so much less? Am I misunderstanding what max permissible weight is? Does it include the weight of the bike? Even if it did, that would still be a weight limit of more than 500 pounds. Is it just the quality of the suspension?

Thanks for any info in advance.
  2. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Per the owners manual, the 790 maximum permissible weight includes the weight of the motorcycle.
  3. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I wonder why the 790 can carry more than 100 pounds more than the AT.
  4. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are thinking about loading the AT to anywhere near its max capacity, you should look into getting suspension work done to it before your trip. In general OE suspension is not sprung or valved for more than the average sized rider without carrying a lot of gear. The bike will perform much better if you install heavier springs and stiffen up the damping in the fork and shock.
  5. Crusty the Clown

Crusty the Clown Nutup-or-Shutup Supporter

Oddometer:
    :grim damn I better get to the GYM!
  6. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Far superior suspension components with both a longer travel and a heavier load capacity. That is one of the key features/advantages of the KTM over its competition in this segment.
  7. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    Amen to that.
  8. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    I checked the 390 as well, KTM really does their homework on the suspension. Even the 390 outdoes the weight capacity of the AT. Granted, the AT was not necessarily built for a guy as big as my dad. I think things will be alright though. Our tests have included gravel, graded dirt, deep creek/river crossings, and rocky mountain roads in Utah. No issues.