what flightseeing Co. is best in Alaska?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by paulgadget, Aug 31, 2007.

1. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    What are the best flightseeing services in Alaska? I have seen some in the Ride Reports, Fly Denali and Talkeetna Air.

I would like to find a good one for my trip next summer, and for that matter what are some good kayak tours out of Homer?
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    also K2 aviation in Talkeetna. as for kayaking paging Akduc please pick up the white courtesy phone.
  3. gsilvernale

gsilvernale Lowlander

Oddometer:
    We went to Talakeetna hoping for a flight over Denali. But weather was bad and for 2 days there were not any flights into the glaciers. You could take a high flight, but nothing real scenic.

All the charter companies in Talakeetna are about 100 yards from each other. The rates are the basically the same at each one.

Note Talakeetna is a town of about 1000 people - and tourism is the main industry. All the folks who climb Denali go into Talakeetna in order to catch a flight to the base camp. Average 18 days to go up and down the mountain, and less than 50% make it to the top.
  4. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Depends on what PART of Alaska you are talking about.

It's a wee bit of a large state...:D
  5. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Here is the best method I could suggest. Where you can see exactly what you want and spend as much time as you want. The schedule is your to set and it is all about the personal touch.........:nod

[​IMG]
  6. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    If you want Denali, go to Talkeetna and try K2. :clap You better hurry your ass up here cause its fall already.
  7. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Aw shucks, thanks for thinkin of me, Mike. I didn't open this thread till now because I don't know any of the flightseeing outfits.

Paul, what kind of kayaking experience are you looking for? There are a few places to choose from in Homer. http://www.alaskakayakschool.com/ may be THE most qualified outfit in the state. They're way more hardcore than I care to be! :evil

Most all coastal communities up here have kayak rental and guide places to choose from.

Good luck. Have fun. Maybe see ya when you get up here. Mark H.
  8. paulgadget

Oddometer:
    It looks like the few that have responded agree that K2 Aviation is a good one to choose, as for the weather thing I guess that's the way it goes.

With the cancelation policy I should just try to get a flight when I get there, I plan on spending a couple of days in Talkeetna anyway.

As far as the kyaking goes I have little or no experience so the easiest the better, or even just a boat ride to get as close as possible to a glacier calfing <SP?< p>
  9. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    I have a ton of recommendations for SE Alaska and Kodiak, but you didn't say where you were going...so now I'm gonna assume you are heading interior...then I'd go with K2 Aviation.
    </sp?>
  10. paulgadget

Oddometer:
    I am interested mainly in seeing Denali by air, I plan on 30 or 35 days round trip from San Diego.