What goes around comes around... Dublin to New york

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Oisin, Apr 6, 2010.

1. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, Oisin

I am in the middle of "Not Dead Yet" and, besides the great story telling, i come across the part where you run into Graham and Sue!! They are great people. Met them in Alaska in 2009 and had them stay with me in California later that summer.

Its a small world out there! :D
  2. Travelsfar

Travelsfar n00b

Oddometer:
    Oisin, hope you didn't get the idea I was questioning your decisions, as I said, been to Magadan, but (taking foot out of mouth) it was a while ago, been slaving in Iraq since '03 and obviously haven't kept up with flight schedules. You had an epic journey, told it so well that I lost whole nights of sleep connecting and reading, only to show up at work dead tired. THANK YOU!

Am planning myself now, might try running the route with an older bike though, something without electronics or a shaft, have real worries about being in "Outer Mongolia" and needing parts for either.

Thanks again for the adventure and renewing the spark!

3. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well,I'm most of the way through "That I may die Roaming" and as a MC traveler I can't stop thinking,"this would be a great MOVIE ! "
    Seriously this great story made into a movie with a big-assed Irishman playing Oisin himself, think of the possibilities. Comic ,of course, Adventure, in spades,Titilation,with none for the hero,Jubilation, nearly everyday, and Philosophy, wisdom of the ages.
    Fuckin' Oscar stuff. Best Picture.
  4. Dusty1

Dusty1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got latest one on Kindle. Handy to read at night and in other dark places where one can be by themselves.

Good stuff Oisin.
  5. seraph_rapture

seraph_rapture n00b

Oddometer:
    Just added both books to cart. Read through this entire trip report at work, and can't imagine the mental and testicular fortitude necessary to undertake a trip of this magnitude. Thanks for allowing all of us to tag along, and putting your experiences in print so we can carry it along with us.
  6. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    Wow Olsin... thanks so much for documenting your journey on video AND also for documenting your thoughts and mind set... very powerful & inspiring
  7. PsychoSayWhat

PsychoSayWhat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oisin - Finished reading Not Dead Yet the other night - what a great read. I really enjoyed the stories you put in between the journey chapters too - it added a lot to the story of the trip. My wife kept asking me why I was bursting out laughing from time to time or muttering "holy shit" and I would read short sections to her - she's reading the whole book now. We both think you're solidly in the hard core camp :super

Aside from the funny stuff, I took a lot away from some of your introspections - I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for writing that book. It was great and I'll be reading it again! :clap

Regards,

Jeff
  8. wanneroo

wanneroo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Legendary is the only word I can think of.

Your book is on my shopping list. Thanks for taking the time to share all this.

I had a co worker that did a project with Suzuki Cars last year(Motor Trend magazine, Dec 2010/Jan 2011) where they drove the road to magadan. Always an adventure on that road somehow, some way.
  9. JRMosley

JRMosley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just followed your video links over to your Youtube channel and watched several of your recent edits. I was watching the Road of Bones 2 and you are talking about how lonely you were feeling at the time. I switched back over to ADV and see that your last 3 vids have no responses, and it occured to me...when you were feeling your loneliest tons of people were watching your ride, tons of inmates chiming in to wish you well, tell you they just spent the last 3 days solid reading your whole report, or to comment on your latest...and now that you are back home, warm and safe and back to the doldrums of work-a-day, posting your vids probably feels like dropping pennies in a well. You are definately not alone Oisin, your adventures, for a lot of folks here, was a memorable and fantastic journey...for me it was the antethisis of the Long Way, you showed us that it can be done by a (sorta :lol3) normal bloke with a desire to do it, and what you probably think of as failures on the journey were definately a part the adventure. Thanks again, Oisin, you really are one hardcore m@therfcker! Cheers and know there's always a pint waiting for you in Alaska! :freaky
    By the way, ordered the F*ing expensive version of your book 2 weeks ago, and it still isn't here! Put in a good word at Hulu for me! (Everything takes forever to get to me, it's not your fault!)
  10. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oisin,

enjoying your videos mate. Even if you didn't end up with a "pro" production, they are still fun to watch.

I notice a dusty Nikon strap around your neck in some shots. Obviously the gear wasn't having an easy time either. Curious what you had and how it all held up?

Trevor
  11. ullukk

ullukk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just watched your last few vids on the road of bones oisin, one word, Brilliant!! i'm about half way through that i may die roaming book at the moment, excellent stuff! soon as i've finisned it not dead yet will be getting ordered also.

Keep up the great work and hope to follow you on some forthcoming journey in the not too distant future.

Keith, Hull.
  12. wanneroo

wanneroo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've got a DVD in the making in your future.:clap

The nice thing with your videos is it brings to life what it is like to roll upon those roads. Still pictures are always great, but video adds another dimension to it.

I ordered your book today and look forward to reading it.
  13. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:

Agree. I struggle to follow the Part 1 etc links posted. I'm still trying to find the "next" episode of road of bones to see how you got over that river.

Thus a commercial DVD would make sense to me and I'd definately invest in one rather than try and piece together the you-tube stuff. Having purchased the book, but I love to watch/read these things together. E.g. there was a lot of info in Race to Dakar book that made the DVD make more sense, but seemed a bit confusing on its own.

Following this thread with great interest. Good luck
  14. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you tell us something about the cost of this kind of trip?
    Beside the bike. I mean how much did you spent from home to new york
  15. ChubbyThumper

ChubbyThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looking forward to meeting you at HorizonsUnlimited Enniskillen this weekend will you be bringing copies of your book?
    Chubby
  16. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Does the Air Plane ride from Magadan to Anchorage sound like a reasonable option? I'm thinking about a possible trip across Russia next summer.

David
  17. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Maybe I should just fly out of Ulan Ude. I have a friend there which might help. I'll have to keep talking about it. Problem is, I only have a limited amount of vacation time and I'm trying to squeze a lot of miles in. I'm starting to see if I could cross Russia like the Doc and LDF do in the Mobius Trip. Abandoning a BMW though is a bit harder on the pocket book than a DRZ. :lol3

Thanks,
    David
  18. See1

See1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Jeff where did you get the book? From LULU?
  19. bnlitin

bnlitin Boris L

Oddometer:
    Oisin,

I love the videos! Thank your for sharing your adventure. It's fantastic!

How are you able to upload the videos from central Russia? Does the cell phone work? How do you exactly order from the Russian menu (since you can't read cyrillic)?

Keep it up! I am looking forward to your next posting.

Boris
  20. JRMosley

JRMosley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oisin, just got the book! Not Dead Yet deluxe version, and I found ME in it! A picture and a few words, awesome man, thanks for that! :clap