1. eNewsletter Sign Up

what gps do you use?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by fullmetalscooter, Jun 14, 2010.

1. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
  2. GT_Hawk

GT_Hawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nuvi 550. For the price nothing comes even close to it :D
  3. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using a Zumo 550. Its been alright, though been through 4 of them in 5 years. Hopefully this last one lasts longer as its out of warranty now. I have a Quest 2 that I usually stuff in my pocket on longer trips as a backup, but never had to use it, and cant imagine using it on the bike after using a zumo for so many years.
  4. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin Zumo 550 for mc & car. It has been mostly good, had some issues early on and the unit was replaced under warranty and has been fine since. Considering a Garmin 60 CSX for hiking and the Jeep.
  5. 3Rugrs4GA

3Rugrs4GA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin 60csx...not hard-wired. Two AA batteries last, as advertised, at least 20+ hours. It does everything I need and more.
  6. hewhohesit8s

hewhohesit8s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the 550 on the Harley and just installed the 220 on the KTM990. I found I didn't need the XM, and rarely used the tunes from the Zumo, so I went with the 220 on the KTM. With the $100 mail in rebate, it's actually almost reasonably priced.
  7. theWolfTamer

theWolfTamer Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer:
    I use the iGo8 software with the Gurjon skin because of ease of use. I chose this over garmin then I read this:

You'll find many gps units (not garmin specific ones) can be loaded with additional software because they use WM5 as the core software. I use an old school pda and it works fine for me with my choice of software, the igo8 I purchased last year.
  8. anotheroldfart

anotheroldfart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garmin Street Pilot 2610, Street Pilot III or GPS V. Can't kill 'em and they're cheap, on used market.
  9. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    For tracking its really hard to beat the old Lowrance Ifinders. 100 trails 9999 points each. Now they don't do turn by turn. They're getting old and Mapcrate Topo is dated.
    I also use Lowrance XOG on the bike for tracking, and turn by turn and it can load Mapcrate topos. Has the same 100 trails, and 9999 points as the Ifnders and a color touch screen. It is possible to create your own custom maps for the LOwrance too.

In the truck, I use a Jensen NVX225 it runs IGO software, has higher resoloution screen than the XOG and IMO the routing is better and faster. It can do trail also but can't load it back into the unit or reverse the track to follow it. Just a bread crumb that is only limited by the SD memory card size with thecorrect settings.

In trhe future I will be using a Delorme PN-60 on my B-Day wish list. I really like the Delorme Topo maps and the PN series comes very close to the Ifinder in track ability. The down side is the screen size is small.

I've got a good friend that uses a Nuvi and Garmin 60CSx on his bike. The down side of the 60CSx is the trail limit is 500 points. Garmin has great maps free and commercial applications. Free maps at gpsfiledepot.com

I've also got a Bushnell Onix 400, what a waste and POS. The maps suck and the raster based topos slow the unit down to the point its not usuable.
  10. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:

Ditto :deal

Mike
  11. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    3 years using a 76C, then upgraded to a 476 last year.

I liked my 76c, I love my 476. The screen has super detail, and much expanded routing preferences.
  12. FargAT

FargAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a Garmin Nuvi - broke after 2 days
    Tom Tom - useless for functionality reasons

ended up with a Magellan Roadmate:It's the cherry on the cake.

Supply your destination and add any reasonable number of stops in between, drag and drop them into position of how you want to travel, or let the Magellan "Smart Route" you through all the stops you want to take.
    Example: from Las Vegas back to Fargo:

Total of 15 stops we wanted to hit to see certain things along the way. Supply our home destination, add all stops in between, hit logical and off you go. Stable as a rock, even though it's an automotive unit, it was the best $150 spent to date.

F.
  13. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know nothing about this unit, but just to be fair, I haven't seen a routing GPS yet that couldn't do this.

- Mark
  14. treysmagna

treysmagna Bald is beautiful

Oddometer:
    I have been using the GLS76CSX for about 5 years now both on the bike and on the water. FLawless