what grade of oil use KTM 950 ?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by vgstef, Oct 20, 2003.

1. vgstef

vgstef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the grade of oil did you use for the KTM 950 ? I know the manual is calling for 10W50 but it is hard to find. I was thinking using Motul 5100 10W40 (semi synth.)?

Thank you

Stephane
  2. 950rider

950rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just changed my oil and used Motorex synt 4t 10W50 as called for in the manual. I had to get my shop to order it though...and they ordered it through White Brothers. They make a 4 liter size thats kinda convenient. I paid $42 for the 4 liter jug.

The manual says you need 3.0 liters of oil when you change the oil and filter, but for me it took 3.5 liters to bring the level up on the dipstick.

Matt
  3. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    $42? Jeebus!

Good thing the bike only uses less than the entire jug so you'll be able to lube yourself up in preparation for the next oil change.
  4. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the perfect application for Mobil 1 red cap. I would stick to the 50 at the upper end, but in a full synthetice I sure wouldn't sweat a 15 in place of a 10w. Heck the full synthetic 15-50 allows big diesel motors to crank over in very low temps, were they won't with any kind of dino oil.

Check out Sport Rider magazines oil article a few months back, the 2nd of two parts had great coverage, with oil analysis of viscosity, TBN breakdown, and much more. It fully supported my belief that Mobil 1, 15-50 red cap is the stuff! Some people claim you will get slippage issues do to the moly in the car formulation of the red cap vs the moto specific Mobil 1, at twice the cost I might add. But Motorex has more moly in it then the Mobil 1! On the various forums I browsed, and in emails to various owners, I only found a few riders who had clutch issues, it was a small number, some said that they couldn't truly say that it might not have just been a tired clutch, others said a switch to another oil cured the problem.

I for one wouldn't trust KTM on oil recomendation one bit, no doubt some dollars change hands one way or another for this recomendation. They used to recomend the Shell Rotella, this stuff with it's type 3 hydro-cracked dino, doesn't even compare to Mobil 1, yet they recomended it.

No way in Hell I'm going to support oil companies gouging at this price level, a 1000% increase in price for an oil that is maybe twice as good. Just ain't gonna do, nope.

I doubt I would even run the synthetic for the first two changes, prefering a qualilty dino like Bel-Ray EXL, giving the motor extra time for break in. Though that's just my take on it.
  5. Toolman

Toolman toolman

Oddometer:
    Mine will have the red cap Mobil 15w/50 in it very soon. It works great in my 520E/XC and everything else I have put it in. No clutch slippage or drag.

Toolman
  6. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When my dealer did the 600 mile check I ask about the oil and they said they put in semi-snyt Motoul 15-40. I ask about the Motorex and they said it was ok to use the Motul instead (they did not have the Motorex in stock). I use Amsoil in everything I have so next oil change I am going to change to Amsoil 4-stroke. The dealer said Motorex would be about 11 bucks a quart.
  7. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    The Amsoil is great stuff, it uses Mobil 1 base stock, and is said to have an even better additive package then the Mobil 1. The only downside is the price.
  8. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use all their products in all my vehicles (trucks,motorhome,bikes). I pay 20 bucks year to be a dealer and when you have as many vehicles as I do it saves doing it that way.
  9. RobertMtl

RobertMtl n00b

Oddometer:
    I know this is many years later, but I just bought a 2004 950 Adv and while I was doing the maintenance I noticed the KTM label on the frame and it mentions to use 15W40 3.5 litres. I have used 10W50 and I tried to find 15W40 for motorcycles but all I found was for diesel. Does anyone run 15W40?
  10. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Yes 15W40 Shell Rotella is a staple for motorcycles as well as diesels. Available in 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon containers.

enter into Google:
    site:bobistheoilguy.com 15w40
  11. RobertMtl

RobertMtl n00b

Oddometer:
    Which T model as I see they have T2, T3, T4
  12. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    T6 is the full synthetic. 5w 40 and 15w 40. 20 bucks a gallon just about everywhere that sells oil. Used it in my 990 ADV and now in my S10.
  13. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Walmart mobile 1 15/50 in a 5qt jug $25 bucks
  14. 950trailrider

950trailrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been using Shell Rotella T6 on my 2004 950S for a long time already, great oil. Did the Alcan 5000 last year, during very hot and close to freezing cold temperatures.
    Canadian tire has it on sale at 45% off every now and then.
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rotella t4 or t6 here depending on my mood.
  16. armstrongracer

armstrongracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I run Motul 7100 10W-60 in a 950sm. This gets ridden a lot in city traffic and in my opinion radiator size is marginal on this bike and good quality oil like this gives me extra security for when the motor gets hot.
  17. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amsoil Dirt 10-50 or 10-60. Meets the spec. Cheap at $11/qt.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  18. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have had great results with Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 on my 950 SE.