1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What Happened to Olympia Motosports?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Daboo, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to replace my old Olympia XMoto pants and started looking for the latest version, the XMoto2. I saw that it was sold out everywhere or in Closeout. Okay. Olympia updates their gear and comes out with new versions so I'll look for that. Nope. Can't find anything. Then I started looking at other Olympia gear and see that it is also on Closeout, or discontinued.

I sent a couple emails to them via their website and got no response.

The website doesn't indicate they are going out of business. But it sure seems like it. Any ideas?

Chris
  2. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Olympia’s parent, Motovan Distributing, is deep in bankruptcy. As is their U.S. division. Most of the sales, marketing, and support staff is gone. There are some phone reps left pushing close outs. But that cart is getting pretty empty. I’d not hold my breath that you’ll get a response.
    Plebeian, Brtp4, Bitingdog and 2 others like this.
  3. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought I read that Olympia sold to Motovan in 2015. Anybody?
  4. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From F800Riders.org:

Versatek6 likes this.
  5. Versatek6

Versatek6 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's sad to hear. My wife and I got new Olympia gear last year and really like it. I hope the company can recover.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Moto gear is a tough biz.
    It's a very busy market these day vs the heyday of Olympia.

Companies like Klim are building top end for those willing to spend...and there are plenty as it's primarily a wealthy driven sport in the US.

On the other end there is a TON of affordable gear from US companies being built in China & China direct gear. For the $ their stuff is well built.

That has pushed out companies in the middle like Olympia. The cheaper end caught them in build quality and the high end blew way past them years ago.

I had an Olympia jacket years ago and when it was time to buy another jacket, Olympia felt stuck in the past vs newer designs and materials...I moved on.

Sounds like many others have too.
    td63, Dusty Rider and Versatek6 like this.
  7. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Olympia’s problems stem from a bankrupt parent that was very mismanaged and became extremely cash-poor while the debt went through the roof. It has nothing to do with the gear itself. It was filling its niche nicely. Sales numbers were actually up slightly. The XMoto 3 was to be a nice update. Long overdo, but nice, nonetheless. I was impressed with the limited-production samples I saw and wore last summer. There simply was no cash to keep the marketing in place, nor the warehouses stocked of any of the brands...be they in-house propriety brands like Olympia, or the two-step resale brands like tires, batteries, oils, and hard parts.

I watched all of this unfold first-hand and become the dumpster fire it is. Many industry brands are having, and will have, challenges as they try to recover from this mess.
    ZoomerP, Plebeian, Brtp4 and 9 others like this.
  8. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Shame to hear. Olympia always built really rugged and long lasting gear. I still wear a Bushwhacker mesh jacket. They were one of the few companies to keep using Cordura instead a house-brand materials that could be anything. Decent pricing, too. Not everyone wants a Klim jacket at 3x the cost.
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What size X Moto 2 pants are you searching for?

I ended up in almost exactly the same situation? I like Olympia gear, but couldn’t find what I wanted online. The local shop told me they couldn’t order any Olympia gear from their catalog.

I tried several online shops who showed they had the gear in stock, only to get an email a day or two later that my order would be refunded since they were out of stock.

I found a pair on eBay, size 34. I hope they fit.

At the same time, an order I’d put through a Canadian shop went through to my surprise. Same size, 34.

Again, I don’t know if they’ll fit.

Neither pair has arrived. But if 34 will work for you, I might end up with and extra pair which I’ll sell for what I paid.

Jamie
  10. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to fit a 34, and will again if I lose some weight. :D The ones I have are a 36. When I lose the weight, I'm holding them up with a cinched up belt. So they might work.

Chris
  11. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s too bad about Olympia. I still use an older pair of Airglide pants and one of their mesh jackets that’ve worked well for me. I had the original XMoto kit but moved on a couple of years ago. I always found it reasonably well made and the fit was right.
  12. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    I've been wearing Olympia jackets for years.

The last jacket wasn't all I expected though (no front zipper on the internal removable liner) so I was going to be considering looking at other brands when this one wears out.

I guess now, I won't be "considering" a change but will have to make one.
  13. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be keeping my old Olympia pants for now, but in my searching I find a similar situation to what you describe above. I hate buying from the evil empire, Amazon, but sometimes they are the place to go. I bought a pair of HMK pants that were very similar to the XMoto pants...for $30. I sent them back for really a fit issue. The waist and hips were sized like an overpant, but from the knee down, they were were tighter like a pant to be worn without anything else. Quality was great. I'm not sure the "CE" armor was really CE armor. But like eakins wrote, the quality is very good...even for pants a couple hundred $$$ more.

I don't understand the appeal of Klim gear. I just looked at two pairs of their pants. Both come with no liners. Both have no armour. So you pay this high price, and what do you get? A name?

Chris
    eakins likes this.
  14. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did send you a PM about the X Moto 2 pants.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Unless it's just plain outer shell layer for Klim it has armour. Or it was designed to use knee braces & pressure suit.
    This is how Mosko's gear works, outer layer only.

Klim is high end Goretex fabric. It works and you pay for it. It's the Benchmark.
    You get what you pay for not just a name.

They offer the best outer layer (Goretex) and you bring your own base and middle warmth layer or buy theirs. Mix and match as needed.

This is the pro style 3 layering systems vs zippered in warmth & waterproof layers.
    There is a difference!

Klim is Goretex outer later so water proof from the outside. Jackets with an inner z-linner absorb water thru all that fabric till the z-linner and get heavy when wet.

This is cheap and old school way of doing it. Z-linners are cheap to add to any non waterproof outer jacket as is a warmth liner.

Jacket designers can design an new jacket with new panels, zippers, features etc easily when not using waterproof material...then add a zip in Z-linner. Cheap.

Klim needs to design all it's outer jacket with different Gore-Tex products (some are $$$) and waterproof it all as 1 piece. Expensive. You get what you pay for!

Lifetime warranty too from Goretex. Send it to them if needed, they will get you a new jacket.
    You paid for that testing, validation and warranty.

Any jacket you find with a zip in waterproofing z-linner & zip warmth liner is a cheap jacket produced in China. It may list as expensive $400 in the US but understand it's costing WELL under $100 per to mfg it...well under $100...you might be shocked how cheap it costs.

Remember resellers need to make a profit, the jacket company needs to make a profit, their mfg in China, Thailand, Bangladesh, Vietnam etc needs to make a profit.

You get the idea...hope this sheds some light on you dude. When it rains or you crash, you got what you paid for.
    norton73, 95Monster and Dusty Rider like this.
  16. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I saw that. I figured I replied earlier anyway with the post below. Sorry for any confusion. I'd be better off with a 36. Plus, it isn't like my current gear is destroyed and unusable. It isn't. But I start looking for anything new a long time before needed, just so I'm not forced into a last minute purchase. That's when I found Olympia gear was nowhere to be found.

17. Versatek6

Versatek6 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ToothDocJay - Check out Firstgear. That was what we had for years before our recent Olympia rigs, and we were happy with that.
    Butters likes this.
  18. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to look a lot at First Gear, Fieldsheer and TourMaster. Then I stumbled on Olympia gear and was impressed more and more as the miles added up. I'd add in Sedeci now from Cycle Gear, now that Olympia is out of the picture.

I appreciate eakins' comments about the Gore-tex in Klim gear, but I'm just not impressed ...still. :) I ride year around in Seattle. It rains a lot. And when I was still working, I rode no matter what the weather was. The commute was an hour each way. Last year, I went to the Bun Cooler rally in Idaho. Almost the entire ride from Seattle to Kamiah, ID was in pouring rain. I was dry.

I simply spray my gear after each washing with Kiwi Camp Dry waterproofing spray. A can costs about $8. I can use up a lot of cans before I approach the price of any Gore-tex gear. And stay dry. :) It accomplishes the same thing...the outer layer does not soak up water and get heavy or take a long time to dry.

Chris
  19. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well this sucks. I'm quite fond of the Olympia jacket I have. Always hate to hear of good moto related company going under.
    I'm glad its not Olympia gloves. I really like the two pairs I have.
  20. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. That's a bummer, I have airglide pants and an older bushwacker mesh 3/4 jacket.
    The pants lasted me a long time before they needed to be replaced, like 10 years and maybe 1000 plus rides. The jacket a little less but I was impressed by the quality of design vs the cost,

I met the original owners years ago and they were genuine deal real passionate about their gear and the sport.

And I noticed the change in about 2016 or 2017 when the quality and innovations started to slip.

Bummer to see decent brands go away.
    eakins likes this.