What happens when I close browser window but am still logged in?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by HardWorkingDog, Aug 18, 2018.

1. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Harvey Mushman

Oddometer:
    This is one of those almost pointless questions that has started to become almost metaphysical :lol3 in nature, the more I ponder it. Almost like Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. Almost, I said.

Anyway, when I close the browser window but am still logged in, does advrider show me as "online" with a green corner on my avatar and a listing in the "Inmates Online" sidebar?
  2. larryboy

larryboy Chopper Rider

Oddometer:
    You need to go for a ride or something. :lol3
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    What about refrigerator lights? :hmmmmm

giphy.gif
    larryboy likes this.
  4. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I'm not Baldy or Cannonshot; but I'll give you the generic answer.

Most browser software shows a user ONLINE for a period of time, after which the "cookie" or token expires. You become NULL - not online, but haven't exited.

When you open up the page next time, your browser has the LOGIN token, so you are just shown as online, active and reading whatever page.

It may be just a bit different here, since there's dynamic interfacing going on even when a user is not loading new pages; but that's the basic of it.

I never log out. Been gone for weeks and came right back in. The only time that does NOT work is if either my browser or the board software has had an update. I've even had cases where I shut off the computer, remaining logged in, and then hours later logged in with another computer. Never logged out with that one either; and then, more hours later, came back with this one.
  5. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You were 'last seen' at 2:16pm. You have no green indicator right now.

The login session is saved, but the 'online' status is different as Casey explains above. Basically, after some amount of time since you last clicked anything on the site, it 'times out' and marks you as no longer active. You may have seen how a banking website will do something similar - except it 'forgets' your login session as well instead of just marking you as inactive.
  6. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I’m guessing that was about an hour since I last closed the browser.
  7. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    862FA322-FDF6-4CA1-A5C9-C851B1F6AAEF.jpeg
    Ya know, you were right.