What hardcases to go for?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Zodiac, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    My first thought was to get the 2 Bros lower exhaust, then get the full (equal) sized RT or S systems cases, then plunk on the city lids to keep em narrow. But then I decided to go with the higher mount (like stock) exhaust due to some recomendations i.e. high water, and rear wheel removal. This now leaves me either with the touratech, or Jesse's. I refuse to put BMW cases on another bike unless they're both fullsize.

What's the best Jesse set up, and are the Odyssesy's everything they say? Rather them than the Milleniums since they are narrower. ALso like the Hepco Becker plastic cases, but they stick out considerably -

Any suggestions,

CDP
  2. Bill

Bill Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Perry,

I just went through the whole decision process on this with help from the micapeak list. The good news is that there are several great choices & riders who are happy with different setups.

IMO, Jesse's bags came out on top. My reasons:
    • 108 liters of storage but 5" narrower than stock bags.
    • Keeps the cargo weight centered low and close to the bike.
    • Overall quality of design and craftsmanship. (Which is reflected in the price, BTW.)
    • The lids are hinged, so they won't fly off in case you fail to latch them securely. Also, when you access the contents, you don't have to find a place to put the lid.
    • The panniers are easily removable. (As I recall, the Touratech and Tesch both require nut & bolt disassembly to remove the bags. HB reportedly pop on and off in a matter of seconds without even opening the bag.)
    • The mounting system is well thought out. Jesse bags are designed to release under pressure, thus minimizing the chance of subframe damage during a fall.
    • They are powder coated inside & out. Looks good but also keeps cargo from rubbing against raw aluminium and being stained with aluminium dust. (Again, reflected in the price also.)
    • Many positive reports on Al's staff. Reportedly great at working with customers to resolve problems.
    Now which Jesses?

Jesse Millenniums were my first choice, even at the 30% price premium. Gulp...$1300 for just the bags.... but at least the side bag would hold a helmet.

My advice to you: Forget about the Millenniums--- they are unobtainium. The helpful folks at Jesse's place said the wait was about a year. A deal killer for me.

I also got a note from a rider who was a big Jesse fan, had purchased the Millenniums and said that his leaked. He tried to work out the problem with Mr. Jesse's help but ulitmately went back to Odysseys. He's quite happy with the Odysseys. YMMV, but look at the Millenniums closely. That seal does look complicated and I can see the potential for leaks to develop especially after they have been bashed around a bit.

I ordered the Odysseys, the cargo compartment, and a medium sized top box for about the same price as the Millenniums.

The top box differs from the panniers in that it does require 4 nuts & bolts to remove. Also, I had them include the aftermarket seat spacer kit. It adds 1/2"to each side, but sounds like it would clear the stock seat more easily and be helpful if I go to an aftermarket seat later.

I ordered last week and the bags should ship this week.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
  3. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the highly detailed info. I'm going to go for the Odysseys too.
    Bit pre occupied now though - live in Downtown Manhattan.
    Real adventure last 2 days.

Chris
  4. Bill

Bill Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Chris you're welcome & I echo our resident pig's sentiments.
  5. Bill

Bill Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    I just filled you guys in on what I was thinking when I made the decision. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a first hand ride report for awhile.

I'm in the middle of a relocation and my new Jesse's will be shipped to Geneva along with the rest of my worldly possesions. I don't expect to get them until the end of November.

Sigh..... waiting....
  6. Bill

Bill Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Great! Mine are still waiting.

I'd appreciate a report on how the installation goes.

I read the instructions online, but I'll have to pack all the tools I'll need plus the bags. Any tips & tricks you can pass along would be good to know beforehand-- especially about any additional nice to have tools.

Thanks,
    Bill
  7. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reasons I like my Touratech panniers:

-Waterproof

-dust proof

-remove in less than a minute without the use of tools

-I'm able to strap all sorts of stuff to the tops of the lids thanks to the four little handles on each lid

-VERY sturdy mounting, wont come flying off when I hit a big bump off-road, unlike some other manufacturers bags...

-I can remove them at camp and use them as a platform for my Whisperlite stove and keep the food off the ground

-They were in stock, I did not have to wait an absurd length of time after I ordered them

FWIW- Sgary Mc
  8. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Hey Razor, how's the width of those new saddlebags? I do ALOT of lane splitting (80%) of the time) Are they as wide as the Cylinder heads?
    I know they say they're narrower than the handlebars but that's not really the point, as are handlebars are higher than most all car bodies anyway.

My main concern is that those bags being low like that would be more prone to slapping the cage traffic body panels - seems that they're (cars) widest at that height? Can you do some height/width tests?

They look huge - But I probably need em anyway.

Thanks.
  9. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Hey Chop,

The install (bars 'n bags) look great! Thanks for the detailed write-ups! It looks like you still have the stock exhaust on the bike - any clearance problems with the stock can and the Jesse's? Eventually, I may have to upgrade from the stock system cases to Jesse's and am trying to understand what's involved.

Thanks!

Marc
  10. Bill

Bill Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Excellent installation report & pics.

After reading through it all, I know I would have been lost without packing extra tools.

You really saved my bacon..... err, sorry.... no offense Porky. :):
  11. Hank

Hank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed two sets of Jesse Bags and was very disappointed in the fit of the system.
    1, the brackets did not fit right, I called AL and (very nice guy) was told to shim or ream as needed!!! I had to do alot of shimming to keep the lids from crashing onto the seat.
    2,I wasn't to crazy about the narrow opening to the boxes, you can't used a bag linner and the last thing I want to do is make 20 trips to my bike to get my stuff out.
    3 The hinges are weak.
    4 The bags are very heavy and do not have much support.
    5 Both bikes have had the left rear turn signals melt off.
    For the money IMO it is a poor buy.
    I bought the Touratech for my GS and have been very happy with them. They were on in less than an hour, including the changing of the turn signals. Everything fit perfect, on shimming needed. You get a exahust extenson to keep the turn signals from melting and with the bag linners you can still use 100% of the bag space.

Hank
  12. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Compared to my Touratech bags, yes that's narrow. I like my bags you like your bags. Hey, everybodys happy.
  13. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    The puke smiley makes me laugh. That's why I used it.
    You can't convert the damned.
  14. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    uuuffffff!!!!! (wind knocked out of Sgary Mc)
  15. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
  16. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    There was a dude in Redmond with big ammo boxes like those on an 1100 GS. They made the bike look really friggen mean.
  17. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    and this is a BAD thing?
    :evil
  18. Bill

Bill Lost in Space

Oddometer:

All depends on which boots you're wearin' at the time.

You can't hop on a bike equipped with ammo cans wearing sissy red pumps!

You would have to get some kind of mounting bracket for those cans. I'd guess buying a premade one would be the way to go.
  19. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    no, it's not a bad thing. I thought the boxes looked fantastic. A very cool Road Warrior look. Now all you need is a Blue Heeler to ride on the back of your bike and hold a sting attached to you sawed-off shotguns trigger. (Road Warrior reference) Just in case you haven't seen it...

Sgary Mc
  20. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:

no sale. 5 dollars worth of 1" flat stock, a hacksaw, bench vise, some nuts and bolts and an afternoon. mock it up, take the pile to the local welder and habe the racks made out of round stock based on your mock up. Or get some krauser racks (plenty of racks missing the bags) and modify them. peobably do the whole mess for less than 100 bux.