1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today's project was to install the Tour Performance Riser from HeliBars on my Rallye...

IMG_1608.JPG

Because of my spinal issues, I begin having severe pain in my neck, right shoulder, and right arm after an hour or so of riding. I've had spinal fusion surgery... and the process of leaning forward & extending my right arm to grasp the handlebar results in having to pivot my head back (raise my chin) to see forward... and this is what causes my pain. So, while I know it's not ideal... the more upright my riding posture can be, the less pain I endure.

As such, I've been playing around with various modifications to get comfortable for more extended riding. I began with a single set of ROX pivoting risers to bring the bars back... then added a 2nd set to bring them further back. This helped, but it never really felt like a really "solid" mount... and the process of trying to correctly align & then tighten 5 different points of rotational axis was less than perfect. (4 individual pivoting risers, plus the handlebar rotation) Seems despite my best efforts, I could never get them all aligned... and/or, if I did, because of limited access to the bolts when the risers were pivoted, get everything tightened down solidly enough. What I needed was either a pair of long, solid "pullback" risers (like I used to have on my cruisers)... or something else. Well, hopefully, I found it.

This product effectively makes the starting base mount 2" taller, while also moving 2 ¼" rearward. Adding & positioning my 2" pivoting ROX risers brings the grips a full 4" further back than stock... and about 3" taller than stock. Additionally, I only have 3 rotational axis points to align... and the space to get an allen wrench on the mounting bolts is much more accessible. My tank bag is unaffected, although the handlebar does touch it when turned at full-lock (final photo below).

Anyway, nothing groundbreaking here, but just figured I'd post in case someone else may have similar issues. Here are more posts of the install.

IMG_1608.JPG IMG_1610.JPG IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1620.JPG IMG_1621.JPG IMG_1622.JPG
  2. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Obviously, I still need 99 cents' worth of Saran Wrap to protect the $15 Chinese headlight protector protecting the $200 OEM headlight cover that protects the $760 headlight. :D
  3. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    His is made in China our are made in Germany
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think I need one of those but I want one.

https://www.helibars.com/products/H...W-R1200GS{47}GSA-&-R1250GS{47}GSA-LC/659.html
    chillerman likes this.
  5. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. I bought the clear guard and the metal version. I can't decide which I like best yet. For cleaning, the clear is awesome as bugs die on the surface instead of being cut into pieces before splatting on the actual headlight. The metal looks cool. I'm toying with the idea of bolting them together to have the metal behind the clear glass LOL. But $200 to protect almost 2K (plus labor as I'm too damn busy to do it myself) makes sense to me. And, as you say, it prevents the LED from getting all dinged up.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    When riding the Haul Road or the Dempster Highway or the many portions of the ALCAN under construction, repair or the 30-mile sections of fresh unswept Chip Seal, and the many trucks heading the other direction kicking up rocks, stones, and pea gravel, I find it advisable to have some sort of guard over the factory lens cover. I went with a cheapo Chinese knockoff. It protects well but certainly diffuses light, especially at night when it really cuts down on road illumination. Thankfully my S/S Laser Cut $19 Grid style guard is easily removable, it pops right off, restoring illumination when needed. I have plastic covers on my LED Rider driving lights as well. YMMV
  7. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    After looking at Adam's link I see the unit.

I am wondering if installing two bar risers is a good thing?

I guess if the cables and wires all fit life is good.

My fear is with all those added joints and possible points of movement a gentle drop could make those bar backs bend?

I can tell you when a friend totaled his 16 on a very gentle drop at 20-30 Mph his bars, ROX Risers, were bent. We took it to the nearest telephone pole and put the wheel against it and bent the bars back strait so we could drive it home. It was the risers that were bent.

Recently someone posted a off road guru said he does not like them for this reason, that they bend easy.

I guess for road work like I do it would be fine. If I was off road I would not add a multiple point failure item.

I am jealous with those numbers you quoted as it would really set the bars back into a range I would really like.

Just wondering on any strength issues with two sets of risers used?
  8. johnwoodsrides

johnwoodsrides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you’d have enough left over for a couple KLR milk crate rear racks!
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    This is what happened to the front of my old FJR on a ride to Missouri. That headlight unit would have cost $400 to replace. Although the Cee Bailey headlight protector was destroyed the headlight suffered no damage. Cee Bailey replaced the set of protectors for no charge, including shipping. Sure wish Cee Bailey was still in the motorcycle business.

[​IMG]
  10. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the comfortable tire pressure for you guys on your GSs? I air down my tires riding on tarmac because the roads are pretty bad where I live. And if I run BMW recommend tire pressures my ride not very comfortable. Sure I get the warning on TFT display that says I should stop immediately etc. I never understood why BMW wants me to have tire pressure in low or middle forties when high twenties feels much better. At least for me. Because of safety on high speeds, aggressive cornering, less tire wear?
    IMG_2538.jpg
  11. kannonvaggon

kannonvaggon More experience than skill

Oddometer:
    The headlamp guards do seem like overkill .... but ....

I have the TT metal guard on mine, and just this week I had to repaint it due to LOTS of rock chips all over the thing. I do ride on gravel and dirt much of the time. Bikes and ATVs I pass in both directions will often throw various sized chunks at my headlamp. Ya don't have to be riding dirt in a group to need some protection for the lamp cover. In the Phoenix area there are stones all over the paved highways and vehicles are constantly tossing rocks at ya. I have never made it through a winter out there without having the windshield either repaired or replaced on my cage. I very often get that whack on my face shield that seems like a pistol shot. Probably doesn't help that I have a tendency to draft big trucks when on the highway. I feel better with some sort of guard to possibly save the expensive headlamp.
    LAFS and bigjohnsd like this.
  12. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure it makes sense to use your tires as suspension. I'd recommend adjusting the preload or tuning your suspension. I think it's more of a safety issue. New tires can handle the lower pressures but as they age or as speed/heat increases, running lower than recommended assumes more risk. You do you though. I air down to get traction offroad but run recommended pressures on the road. Take care, ride safe.
  13. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Konnonovaggon, please consider altering that tendency. There's a "highway axiom," of sorts, out there that states, "Nothing good happens near a truck." You never know when one of them will throw a recap or run over one. You don't want to be anywhere near that.

Mike
  14. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 . My buddy bought a brand new car and was breaking it in on the highway. He decided to draft a big truck and stay tucked in, away from bugs and other debris. Only problem is a retread flew off the truck and did 3k worth of damage to his bumper. On a motorcycle? Much worse would have happened.
    Tourmeister and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  15. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    It is unsafe for you to lower your tire pressures much below the recommended tire pressure (~10% or 3-4 psi) because you'll build up heat in the tires that may not be able to dissipate when riding at highway speeds.

Potential for failure without warning is definitely increased.

I recommend bumping your pressures back up to recommended pressure and working to tune your suspension to meet your comfort needs.

FWIW, BMW works with the OE tire manufacture to set pressures based on max weight the bike will see. We often overload our pigs above the max designed weight and increase the heat generation through overloading in addition to tire flex at highway speeds.
  16. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to mention cracks in the car windshield from stones thrown by truck tires.

I have never lost a headlight on a vehicle of any kind in almost four decades and several millions of miles (22 years on motorcycles) ...but I've NEVER had a truck (upright windshield) that DIDN'T have at least a couple chips and nicks in its windshield. I have had to replace four windshields when said chips turned into lengthening cracks. Thank God for zero deductible glass coverage!

When they come out with an unsightly, protruding lexan shield for truck windshields...please let me know.
    SmittyBlackstone and side-burn like this.
  17. Viper5112

Viper5112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Replaced the right hand cylinder head cover after dropping my baby, had a stone just the right size, shape (pryamid) fit between the crash bars, D'OH!!!! All bits accounted for but doing full double oil change just in case.....
    20190504_163359.jpg 20190515_215908.jpg
  18. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_8665.jpg

That’s why I have these, as ugly as they are I’ll not ride without them!
  19. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cleaned my bike for the first time in 2019. It was so felty from riding in all weather conditions now looks like just step out of showroom. Didn't take any before and after pic duno why I didn't.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amen. I’ve replaced my Jeep windshield 2 times now.