What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took it for a into Yellowstone...

Made a loop from Cody, up the Chief Joseph Highway, into Cooke City for lunch... then through the Lamar & Hayden Valleys to see the bison... ice cream at the Pahaska Tepee... then back to Cody.

loop.jpg

Here's the ride up the Chief Joseph (WY-296) for anyone who wants to watch... first half are the twistys up & over Dead Indian Summit, while the 2nd half is tamer & a bit more scenic.

2. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    04 1150 GSA,Rerouted rear caliper break line directly to reservoir.No more servo for the rear end.Installed a new battery on 1150 3.5 yrs old, 1200 3.5 yrs old & the 500 1.5 yrs old.Geewiz!
  3. ExxonValdez

ExxonValdez Trailers are for boats. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tell me about it....mine was screaming like a banshee.
  4. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Anyone here familiar with a company in Poland called APDURO? Unless the shipping costs triple the purchase price of their rack/pannier system, this looks like a very affordable option to what looks very close to factory/TT luggage

http://apduro.com/en/r-1200-lc-adv/
  5. rebake

rebake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode to Max BMW NH. Store and got a new set of pilot road 5 trails put on.Checked prices on RevZilla and Max was $15 cheaper.
  6. PurpleTiger

PurpleTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9A706E11-635C-4F19-9278-A107671E0C68.jpeg C104A2BB-FA60-4832-B931-482322950601.jpeg C3BA2516-7F02-4C83-B013-5E1065D58480.jpeg Brooks panniers on my new to me 2016 GSA.. I think I like them...
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone and mikegc like this.
  8. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. Botch

Botch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been "pinned down" in my trucks a few times by a bison gang crossing en masse (with no "Bison Crossing" sign, the cads!). My '92 Toyota even sported a nice scar on the back from their less-than-graceful meanderings. My hat's off to you, Sir, for doing it on a bike (even a Big bike!)
  10. Mexicali

Mexicali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done boatloads of maintenance over the last 1 1/2 months on my 08 GS
    20190614_102250.jpg
    20190614_090159.jpg
    1.) New brake pads, front and rear.
    2.) 4 NGK iriduim plugs
    3.) Valve adjustment
    4.) Installed helicoil in right cylinder where valve cover attaches
    5.) Bridgestone Adventurecross AX 41s, front and rear, new valve stems
    6. Replace front and rear drive shaft rubber boots, lube bearings and splines.
    7.) Replace telelever rubber boot
    8.) Bleed brakes
    9.) Engine synchronization
    10.) Replace leaking fuel injector connector.
    11.) Powder coated upper lower crash bars, skid plate, and pipe guards
    12.) Replace alternator belt
    13.) Ran a bottle of BMW fuel injector cleaner through one tank of fuel
    14.) Cleaned air filter
    15.) Changed final drive fluid
    16.) Cleaned and washed
    17.) Replaced fuel strip (dealer warranty)

52, 500 miles and running strong :)
  11. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since we've discussed our skid plates and other products here from time to time we wanted to mention that we've now got two fitments for the 1250GS/GSA:

Fitment A - Designed to fit with the GSA and BMW OEM engine guards

Fitment B - Same designs as our R1200 GSLC skid plate which will work with aftermarket engine guards for the BMW R1250GS models

If interested you can check them out HERE.

Thanks for the continued support and hope you're out on your new 1250 exploring some dirt!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
  12. ExxonValdez

ExxonValdez Trailers are for boats. Supporter

Oddometer:
    1C0EDB99-C3B2-4F07-A28C-123860FE077D.jpeg D9FD1354-3684-4C71-B646-3EE4A98A3F8A.jpeg D381AA42-C35B-4A9F-AB36-0FA51691032C.jpeg 59B1D8D9-0E9A-4047-9044-9879459D15BD.jpeg 7C44AD0C-93C1-4327-8E9F-EB1E90E34F00.jpeg 5D32C3B5-E2D3-4073-8F5B-0CD269493A30.jpeg 854EDD6A-0CD5-4F8D-B70E-B6655BD837BD.jpeg Rode it! And both bikes needed a little nap for some reason.
  13. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not ride mine today...but SOMEBODY ELSE was riding their GS southbound on the Taconic Parkway in New York, a bit south of Chatham this afternoon.

Thank you very, very much for flashing your high beams rhythmically at me as I sped by you going north in my Rover...if you should hopefully use this forum and read this note!

I slowed just in time to avoid being ticketed by the State Trooper just over the next rise...could not see him hidden in his viciously camouflaged little nook until right on top of him -- traffic volume was extremely low so his instant-on radar or laser never tripped my detector at all, he wasn't indiscriminately blasting away constantly or even at every passerby, but was in selective stealth-predator hunting mode!

Suffice to say, it would have been a significant ticket for me...was already running late for an appointment and attempting to make up time -- the further delay and stern tongue lashing I'd have otherwise had to sit through, would have just compounded the financial injury.

I took some pride that it was a fellow GS rider who gave the warning...frankly haven't seen that sort of "us-against-the-man" highwayman behavior on the roads in my area in some years...though I still do warn oncoming vehicles of speed traps whenever I can.

Most folks seem to just drive more angrily, selfishly and/or hypocritically these days to ever have empathy for other drivers who may be speeding toward the ball-smash of such a trap -- as if THEY'VE never ever exceeded the limit themselves, so anyone else doing so "deserves" it <rolls eyes>.

Anyway...thanks so very much again, should you read this!
  14. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:

While I think American police should not waste time issuing speed violations and we should adopt the European model of speed cameras, I also don’t think people should be excessively exceeding the limit. While it’s good you weren’t fined, you should also consider not speeding. No offense but I don’t warn speeders of police ahead. The roads are safer when drivers are obeying posted limits within the 6-10MPH over most cops allow.

Speed plus distracted drivers are causing a lot of problems. If you were going fast enough to get a heavy fine, I don’t want to share a road with you. That goes for cagers and bikes both. Sorry to be so direct. Truly.

Speeding literally shaves seconds off your eta. I know because I’ve modeled it with live and historical traffic data at my job. The risk reward is slim when someone is doing 15-20 over.
  15. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, you're probably not gonna like my eta from the other day.

IMG_6029.jpg

:hide
  16. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    Adam, since you work at Tom Tom, how the hell does this happen?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s Waze. You should call google and ask. But they don’t allow you to call them since their customers are advertisers not the users. :p

That looks like a bug. Your speed at tomtom isn’t used for eta. The speed limit is. We don’t calculate based on current or average speed. Either way. I think waze just had a brain fart.
  18. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    This happened on the way home from Michigan. The weird thing is, it happened on the way up to Michigan as well. Both instances it occurred almost halfway through the trip and only lasted for 30-45 minutes then corrected itself. I use Waze quite a bit and have never noticed this before.

:dunno
    regnaDkciN and AdamChandler like this.
  19. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't argue much of your sentiments in a general sense, but this common over-generalization is just not accurate.

One hundred and twenty miles on a parkway (about the length of the Taconic running from White Plains to Albany), which has two lanes in each direction and dividers between oncoming lanes, zero lights and very well-known (to me after driving it for 25 years) areas where genuine caution is required and taken to accommodate for blindly incoming or outgoing traffic...literally takes around 40 minutes longer to traverse at the posted 55mph than it does when running up to ~ 75mph, slowing when it is prudent to do so.

This absolutely can, does and HAS made the difference in being on time for appointments...many, many times. I know because I have offices in both cities and have been driving north or south at least once a week for over twenty years for genuine business purposes. I don't text (ever) nor even talk on a phone while driving and on such a mission.

I don't and wasn't advocating driving 80 mph weaving in and out of slow moving or heavy traffic, cutting people off, etc., through school zones, while texting...nor doing so unmindful of any other road conditions and/or when unfamiliar with a roadway. I didn't deserve or warrant being indirectly painted with such a brush by you.

The traffic tickets in NY are quite significantly priced ($155 mandatory state surcharge on top of $100 to $300 fine set depending on speed) -- so my saying I appreciated NOT taking such a financial hit, did not provide a genuine basis for you to ASSUME I was being reckless.

Relax that sphincter a tad...you likely won't live to be 50 clamped up quite so tightly, brah!

Traffic tickets are about revenue raising for local municipalities, not health and safety nor designated to actually necessary/appropriate speed limitation in very many posted areas. Meanwhile, a posted sign is a very poor substitute for good judgment and general intelligence of the folks licensed to use a roadway...but alas, this IS America, so must concede that expecting such consistently from our citizens is a bit of a stretch.

As for "distracted" drivers...I agree whole-heartedly and have my own concerns in reverse, reminded of that saying about "glass houses" -- i.e., when I see, for one example, a bike like yours (at times in past videos) ...with literally five and six devices running: gps, another gps, phone, satellite tracker, multiple cameras, heated seat slider, cup holder jutting out and swinging from crash bars, etc.....plus, helmet with doodads off at perpendicular angles, all with screens, knobs and attachments to fidgit with and adjust.

But hey, I am sure you pull over and stop each and every time you adjust one of the electronic distractions you simultaneously run.

Petty nitpicking all around...or co-equally legitimate critcisms...I guess we will all judge for ourselves. Trading sanctimony is fun, no?

Eta: Again...back to my actual point in posting - THANK YOU - THANK YOU -THANK YOU
    to the GS rider who yesterday was considerate to an unknown fellow driver (of a cage, at that)!
  20. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Cousin in Powell, that's some nice country up there.
    The_Eccentric likes this.