What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. igi2003

igi2003 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adam, not all of us living where you live, lets see you keeping speed limit in NJ area. And how about slow driving morons on left lane? I'm doing all possible not to stay too long side by side with others, which is by definition way more danger than "speeding" only.
  2. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last place I bought a bike one of the techs was laughing that he was finally getting his license back after a year of probation. He said, it’s just too fun to speed. This moron has the idea that the streets we drive are his personal race track.

<gets on soap box>
    Go the speed of traffic around you, don’t be a moron and weave incessantly to eek your way along to shave off a few minutes (minutes if you’re lucky). If you’re late, get your ass up earlier. Honestly I have no tolerance for anyone divining in excess of those around you. I can only hope that insurance becomes prohibitively expensive that they have to Uber.

All of this applies to cars and trucks but ESPECIALLY motorcycle because it’s just too damn easy to speed and too damn easy to perish.
    <steps down>
  4. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on where and how far the ride happens to be:

If you plan on attending the MOA rally in Great Falls next year you could possibly take I94/MT200 - According to Google 738 miles and just over 11 hours in the saddle from my home. I have done this exact ride in one day. Doing 15 mph over gets you a couple of hours closer - not a small difference in one day of riding.

I've had friendly waves from the local constabulary on Montana 200 at 90 MPH - and the risk is pretty limited as visibility isn't. I believe that 10 over is still at $20 in North Dakota.
    You can ride your ride and I'll ride mine.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool photo! Just goes to show the extremes of our sport!
  6. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northern CA. Soon to be WY. Hope WY NEVER changes!
    Interesting posts for me to see today. We'll be moving to the Cody/Powell are later this year. Last week I finally decided on a '17-'18 R1200GS for my next big ADV bike. Something to look forward to.
    SPX and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I think most would agree it is situational. In traffic, limited sight lines, poor weather, don't ride like a moron. Long stretches of open highway with very limited traffic, have a little fun. Doesn't mean you won't get a ticket, but at least you are not endangering others.
  8. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for houses on and off, planning for retirement. I want to be out West as that is where I like to travel and it is only a day or two ride to some fantastic places. As opposed to being in NY, it is a 3-4 day ride just to get out there. Powell is a nice little town, Byron can be missed if you happen to blink when passing through. Coming from Dayton over the Bighorns and Route #14A is awesome. Red Lodge isn't that far away. There are a lot of secondary roads and jeep trails out there too. Though I would probably get a 650-800cc bike as I would hate to have to pickup a 1200 out on the trail by my lonesome.
  9. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know we're getting a little off-topic here... but for the very reason you mention is precisely why I didn't settle in a house when I retired. I opted for the full-time RV life, so I can go pretty much where these riding areas are... and also chase the warmer temps during the year. Winters in Arizona, and summers wherever I want. I figure I can always buy a house someday when I slow down and am ready to settle... but for now, being mobile suits me well. :)

IMG_1571.jpg IMG_1594.jpg
    SPX, Botch, SmittyBlackstone and 8 others like this.
  10. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northern CA. Soon to be WY. Hope WY NEVER changes!
    Thanks for the info! I will be 'semi retired'. Also will have a DR650 and/or other lighter bikes for the tougher stuff.

The GS will be for the milder and longer trips. My DL1000 will be relegated to buddy and backup duty ('semi retired') as well.
  11. TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ This

Mrs wants to do the RV thing. I wanna go riding. So... looking at Toy Hauler options, motor home with trailer, etc.

There has GOT to be a thread here for this kinda thing. (?)
  12. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been a full-time RVer for over 3yrs now. Since I can only bring one motorcycle along, I ride a GSA. Does everything I can ask of a 600 lb dirt bike! Two track, FS roads of course. Hwy, simple easy super smooth. Single track...depends on how I feel. Serious single track, it's best to avoid. Mostly because I usually ride alone. I have a very modified Jeep Unlimited Rubicon for that crazy stuff. 2 bicycles as well. Variety is the spice of life. So I must like it spicy!

Attached Files:

13. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just keep in mind that RV's usually depreciate fairly quickly especially if you don't do your homework and pay too much in the first place.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  14. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ATCguy, I'd long thought about ditching the house and buying a nice RV to travel around the country in as well, like you, chasing the sun and fleeing the cold. If it's not too personal of a question, what's a pad like the one you're parked on in the photos cost you a month?
  15. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The important bit is in the first line.
    Don’t ride like a moron!
    SmittyBlackstone and Dackrover like this.
  17. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    replaced the kickstand foot. no reason just had the altrider one, figured might as well
    [​IMG]
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  18. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D9605F68-0BD2-4770-A39E-0B873EBDEA55.jpeg

I took a run down to Meredith this morning, last week the family and I went through in the car and I remembered how much I enjoyed the road.
    I had a coffee and went home along a road I’ve not been on before.
    It was fun.
    Later in the day I went out for another jaunt, just before leaving I dropped the screen to its lowest setting, I’ve been moving it since I fitted the risers the other week.
    Low is best.
    Great day of winter sunshine.
  19. alijanah

alijanah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Added the PUIG Headlight Protector to my 2018 R1200GS Adventure Triple Black last week.

IMG_1198.jpg IMG_4471.jpg IMG_4775.jpg

Attached Files:

20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer: