What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far, all the torque values seem to be correct. 95% of the motor is identical to the Wethead, even the valve specs. I am 90% certain that even the cam carrier torques are the same. I have done two Shifthead 600 mile services, valve check included. One has more than 6K miles since, and I pulled his cams to film it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Callisto224, gpthis, BJMoose and 5 others like this.
  2. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XLADV has their own forum but is primarily an Instagram based. They do this event every year at the end of August and it was a great event that raised a bunch of money for the Motorrad Angels. I don't have any GPX tracks because it is kinda just a show up and ride wherever you want to go but the road to Bodie Ghost Town is a real gem.
  3. sonnystile

sonnystile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh that was nice of you to check valves they def don’t do that at dealer for 600 mile service
    SmittyBlackstone and JimVonBaden like this.
  5. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought some 7 dollar led turn signal bulbs.

Nice lighting Jim!
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the Internet Age where most people don't get all up in arms that something isn't 100% feature-complete. I'd include a print out in every order that says "These Torque values are unverified and are a carry-over from the R1200 Wethead. Once BMW posts a 2020 service manual, the figures will be updated."

and put a page on your site and link to it on the flyer / receipt and encourage owners to check that link for the latest information and once you have values you can just put them there.
  7. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Yeah, it seems a lot of people don't care about facts any more, just their beliefs.

* This is a general observation and not intended to target anybody specifically. Adam's post only triggered this thought. Carry on.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm talking more about software & video games shipping 90% complete with hundreds of bugs to meet a deadline and secure sales "we'll fix it in future updates" heck, even some artists now launching an album and tweaking it a bit by replacing the digital files on iTunes with little tweaks after release date. A Kanye Album I bought was updated 8+ times before it was 'done' and no one was up in arms about it.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  9. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    Wait, Kanye is an artist? ;)
    Huzband, Deano747, 95Monster and 4 others like this.
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only Kim knows for sure.
    krussell, Dackrover, ejm4 and 3 others like this.
  11. sonnystile

sonnystile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may, but I was burned on my first DVD with one inaccurate torque value.
  13. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Publish without and provide link to current wethead specs. Update when they become available.

There is a lot of us with service coming due and would appreciate anything you can do.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  14. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I know I'll be in for one.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  15. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I aired up my tires and went for a short ride. Prepping for MexTrek next month.
  16. aceranic

aceranic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wade-o, which jacket and pants are you wearing?
  17. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Removed a two inch wood screw from my rear tire, and fixed the (slow) leak. Initially, before I bought the bike, I thought this single sided suspension thing was a bit gimmicky; now I find it sure is convenient, and not just for the desert! This must be at least the fourth or fifth time I had the rear wheel off in my 30,000 miles on this bike.
    Torqued the wheel bolts to spec: 50 Nm initial, 105 Nm final torque (2002 R1150GS). (For the 2002 the specs are already published... ;-) )
  18. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tires varied depending on availability, terrain and anticipated range. Here's some details from my logbook:
    Dunlop Trailsmarts- rear to cords. changed as a set. 4,721 miles
    Michelin Anakee 3- maybe 500 miles left in rear. changed as set. 4,016 miles
    Conti TKC 70s- front failure w multiple flats. rear corded. 6,214 miles.
    Conti TKC 80/70- 70 rear blowout @3,204 miles. 80 front cupped badly and replaced at 6,994 miles.
    Heidenau K60 Rear- replaced with plenty of life left at 3,696 miles. HATED THIS TIRE!
    TKC 80S- maybe 300 miles left at replacement. 3,864 miles.
    Mitas EO7 rear- maybe 500 miles left . Replaced at 4,783.
    Mitas EO7 front- Replaced at 9,629.
    Mitas E07 f/r- No data but mounted in Calgary and replaced in Fairbanks after Dempster & Dalton runs.
    TKC 70s- No data but mounted in Fairbanks, AK and replaced in Denver. I rode the Idaho BDR on them.

Currently, I have a set of 50/50 tires mounted that will be released to market next month. I cant really say anything more about them until after the launch but they do everything great.

So my thoughts on tires are- Trailsmarts and Anakee 3s are great street tires. Neither are much fun in sand or mud. The Conti TKC70s are a good 50/50 but when they go, they go quick. The 80 front/70 rear is a good combo for the gravel roads down south. The TKC80s are awesome off road but go quick on the street. (I just don't ride that much pure offroad to justify a knobby.) Mitas EO7 plus, Dakar...I dunno don't remember) are a good 50/50 and perform ok both places but you are giving up a little traction on road and handling off road. But it was my favorite tire prior to mounting the set I have on now. Can't wait to share that info after the launch.

And yes... I have a spreadsheet somewhere with daily mileage, hotels, repairs. It started off really detailed then just sort of petered off : )
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thank you!
    95Monster likes this.
  20. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the new Mosko Moto Basalisk jacket/pant combo. Supposed to be a real game changer in semi-lighter weight gear.

https://moskomoto.com/collections/apparel
    joevacc likes this.