What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I love taking pics. However I have never carried my dslr on my bike, I'm too scared. Plus, most of my photos are spur of the moment. It's easy to grab my phone quick and snap a pic because it's always handy and within reach. My slr, not so much.

Edit: people are fooling themselves if they think their phone is on par with a good dslr. Phones are good and getting better, they just aren't that good. However, i don't think most folks can tell the difference because most folks now use thwir phone for everything. On a phone, yeah a phone photo looks just as good as a dslr. Not noticable until viewed on actual computer.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is true, but keep in mind, 95% of people only use their photos for online. If they print them they will quickly figure out that the phone isn't as good, especially at 8X10 or larger.
  3. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to have a full Canon DSLR setup with pro lenses. It was terrifying to carry $3000+ in gear around. Those that do it - wonderful. A great middle road is a superzoom like the FZ300.
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    My favorite P&S is my Cannon G15. Similar to an SLR, but fixed zoom lense.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Still Lost

Oddometer:
    I have those and love them. If you are seriously going to play off-road I recommend you add the touratech crash bar reinforcement bars as the stock bars will push into the cylinder heads without them.
    Jontaff and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  6. Jontaff

Jontaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably one of the best cameras Canon produced.
    Just bought myself a Canon G5X Mk2, so I will be testing the new camera when I get home.
  7. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are correct, a straight forward install without any issues was completed this AM by yours truly. Everything worked as advertised. Having drank the Clearwater kool-aid on an earlier GS I had mixed thoughts about making a change, but I did and am pleased. Clearwater has an excellent product but I wanted to try the Denali's this time.

Attached Files:

8. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    I rode mine 100+ miles today (up and back) to have lunch with a friend. The weather was nice and she rolled magnificently through the back roads of Central Florida. It's all good.
  9. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always notice it looks like its blocking the radiators to some degree. Is that what is happening? I am going to install them but will rethink location if that is the case
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. enrich

enrich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a "modified" 6K service on my 1 year old 2017 RS with 6001 miles on it. The 600 mi service was done at the dealer. I say modified in that I did not do the 1 year recommended brake flush since I have no experience with that and will have the dealer do it when I go in to get the service indicator reset. I do plan on getting a GS-911 eventually and will be able to do the rests and brake bleed myself, but need to learn how to do it first.
    • Oil change- no brainer with the Beemer Boneyard kit. Ordered the kit for oil and final drive change and got all of the necessary washers, o-rings, etc. to complete the job. Kudos to them and JVB's video for making this a non event. Drained 3 quarts of oil out of the bike after a hard 200 mile ride including the filter- a bit concerned over that. Added 4q of the Beemer Boneyard juice and the new Mahle filter. Sight glass is at the top of the red circle, but bike runs and shifts well after the change.
    B+QVnQY6SsWVZvtatbQKYQ.jpg
    • Final drive change- again BBY supplied all the required gear, and JVB's video makes it simple. I decided to drop the final drive and check the splines, and was mildly surprised to find some surface rust on the female end, and a bit on the male end. Final drive didn't separate easily from the shaft and the shaft came out a bit. Slight rap with my hand separated the final drive, and a sharp push on the drive gave me the feel (back in the circlip) that the drive was back in place. Drive tunnel was dry with no trace of oil or water. Again, bike is about a year old, no water crossings and only a ride or two in the rain. Cleaned off the surface rust with a slight application of naval jelly, cleaned it off and lubed with the BBY supplied lubricant. Drive boot showed no defects, and I applied white lithium grease during reassembly. Biggest time consumer- reattaching the final drive. JVB's instructions were spot on, but doing this as a 1- man job did take a bit of time and finesse. Bottom line is that the rust was removed, the splines lubed, and I'll re-do/re-check at 12k. Not really a hard job, but the realignment can take a bit of time.
    DAyKkJtvTQuKe74wkpB35w.jpg
    After cleaning-
    SVJcilpaR9e3cnMJt6tTdA.jpg

• All major torque points on the bike were checked and on spec.
    • Brake flush- as mentioned, until I get a little more schooling on this and a GS- 911, it will be done at the dealer. (JVB tech day???)
    • Valve checks/cam timing? I know this is a 12k job, so I will do it then. I've got the tools and the resources on this site, so I don't anticipate any problems when the time comes.
    I probably took more time than most on this, but I wanted to check and double check each step as this is my 1st time servicing a BMW. Plus it's still in warranty so I wanted to make sure I fully documented each step. Wife was out of town for the weekend, so it was a good Saturday getting to know my BMW.

This was an incredibly easy experience due in a very large part to JVB's videos, BBY's great service, and the posts here on this forum covering about every single detail of damn near everything regarding these bikes. If you are hesitant about tackling your own services, don't be!
  11. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm still recovering from a broken foot but that didn't stop me from wash 20190919_173151.jpg ing it
  12. Taillight

Taillight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you give me a little head up as too where I can find these JVB's Videos?
  13. enrich

enrich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://www.jimvonbaden.com

Good stuff.
  14. Jontaff

Jontaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very true indeed.
    If you look at online photographic web sites all agree that (like the motorcycle industry) the camera market has taken a hit and become a "niche" segment. Having said that, I believe that the likes of Canon, Nikon and Sony are slowly convincing new buyers that smaller and sensibly priced (are you listening Sony) cameras will make a come back. Phones are looking more like cameras and cameras are looking like cameras once again. :-)
  15. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Odd, I keep doing as the site says and I check back for that 1250 video......to no avail.
    :amazon
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  16. Jontaff

Jontaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's coming as I too am looking forward to the video.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  17. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    I know....i was just giving him shit.
    Jontaff and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  18. bobthekelpy

bobthekelpy 2015 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Just rode it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haysie, Velko, Dogslobber and 12 others like this.
  19. Jontaff

Jontaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Nice ride :-)
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. Let us know how that works out. My G15 is 5 years old, and still good. But it can't last forever!
    guideboat1 and Jontaff like this.