1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    But I’m not complaining. Just saying.
    mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  2. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have lived here 4 miles from the beach my whole life.
    It gets cold but it’s a different kind of cold. Still it is nice!
  3. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's called humidity & heat transfer that can be explained by thermodynamic (which I am not going to...4 years of that in Engineering school had me hating it LOL)

Colorado is dry although colder. With less water molecule in the air, your body does not receive the same heat transfer to/from the air

however, "wetter" air can do quite a bit of damage even if it is above 32F/0C
    WyldCFH, Zubb and AdamChandler like this.
  4. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    Is there a link to the full story?
    Back in 2013 my Son and I flew out to San Diego for a fly & Ride tour down Baja. It was a Father/Son trip. 4 Father & 4 Sons, we didn’t know any of the others before the trip. One Father & Son didn’t even own Motorcycles, they had just taken a motorcycle safety course prior to this trip :lol3 It didn’t go well. After one day of easy riding the Fathers legs were completely covered in icy/hot patches, he could barely descend stairs.
    I blame the tour operator for not vetting his customers prior to the trip.
    bobw likes this.
  5. Krons

Krons Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh we ride all year long, it's just that we like to be warm while doing it. BTW, in Tucson's winter it is often in the 30's in the morning and the 70's in the afternoon.
  7. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suffered through the Phantom Lake series.

Plenty of the usual reality tv contrived drama.

As with any 'reality' show, I tried not to overthink it. :)
    mitchapalooza and AdamChandler like this.
  8. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday continuing on with ingoing maintenance of my new to me 2005 R1200GS I wanted flush and bleed the brakes. Once I got the tank off I figured there were a set of LED lights running lights on my forks that I didn't want so this was an opprutinity to get rid of them. After digging into the way the wires were spliced I ended up having to removing the dash/headlight assembly front fender to access the wiring. Then as I got these LED's removed I noticed the Rigid fog lights had mutiple fold over slice connectors that were taped so they got removed then the driving lights were the same. Fuse block same. So after 6 hours I had most of the auxiliary lighting, several after market wiring harness's and 1/2 dozed relays removed and heaped up on the garage floor removed. The OP also loved zip ties. If 1 zip tie was good a dozen was better. I bet I cut 60 zip ties off. Even 3/8" split corrugated wire sheathing was zip tied closed every 2 inches. Also power outlets. There were 3 Powerlet outlets on the dash + one under the seat. I don't need this many outlet at home.

Finally about 1:30pm I got to actually flushing/bleeding the brakes. But rid of a whole lot of wiring mess.

Ordered a new harness for the Rigid fog driving light. Next I'll power the fuse block with one relay and really simplify the wiring.

Wiring Junk.jpg
  9. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Looks like only up to episode 3 is out. I actually am looking forward to the rest of the series.
    Having recently watched someone in my group launch a 1200 GS 30' off the side of a mountain... well I kind of had to watch the Ophir pass segment with one eye closed.

What can I say . . . I'm a big fan of actual training and working up ones skills step by step.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. Zubb

Oddometer:
    That was installed by what we used to call a "do-it-to-yourselfer"
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  11. SaintBandicoot

SaintBandicoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, someone linked it already. I was going to chime in and refuse to promote it any further than my original comment, for several reasons:
    - It’s absolute dogshit, and between his lack of preparedness as a ride leader, the n00bs lack of riding skill, and the off-trail riding, among other things, I do not see how it does ANYTHING positive for the adventure riding community
    - The production value is about as good as the output of the first time I filmed something with my iPhone and used iMovie for the first time (aka pure uninhibited trash)
    - It is a blatant attempt at attention whoring and self-promotion by Brian the “Make Me Famous, Please” Preacher Man
    - Brian is irresponsible, and is NOT a leader in any sense of the word IMO, and especially not someone that is qualified to be leading n00b riders over the roads and terrain he covered with them. He threw them to the wolves, and two people ended up in the hospital, one of whom was damn near killed, and he (nor any of the riders) were able to even render first aid or respond to the incident appropriately. He started shouting out for the Holy Spirit and Jesus, instead of checking on the downed rider, and rendering first aid (even something as little as making sure the rider was conscious and breathing, and making sure she stayed laying down on her back, and making sure she kept her helmet on, and making sure she didn’t move her neck while the team medic caught up to the group would have been WAY better than him just pacing around praying out to Jesus)

He’s lucky no one was killed.

Anyway, back to the
    Best
    Motorcycles
    Worldwide
    Greatest Singlewheeldrivevehicleontheplanetandktmsucks

thread
    :lol3
  12. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they're mostly for riding in colder areas. In my very short adventure bike career, I've gone to places that are a lot colder than home, I can't imagine what the future holds. I'm looking forward to using them on some upcoming cross-country trips. They'll spend most of their time folded up in one of my cases.

Ever been out to one of our deserts when it's sub 30°? :vardy
    bobw, Massabusa, mikegc and 1 other person like this.
  13. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just about to go back and watch it.

Thanks for the review! I won't waste my time!

:lol2
    SaintBandicoot likes this.
  14. Viper5112

Viper5112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Removed my flickering 4.5 year old aux light to dry it out....other one was replaced 3 years ago under warranty and is not having any issues... Shocking this is a thing with these lights and there hasn't been a recall, especially at the cost of the things.... :baldy
    [​IMG]
  15. Jbrjbr21

Jbrjbr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was not a good idea. Telling people if you're going 10 mph and fall you can't get hurt!! WTF!
    Had no business leading these people up there.
  16. TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sent my Aerostich R3 off for a zipper repair.

Left my friggin’ “Keyless Ride” fob in the pocket.

(Damit)
    Deano747 likes this.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't even consider heated gear until below 30°. :-)
    Covert and RoundTrip like this.
  18. leiflarsen

leiflarsen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mounted a set of old Jesse cases on some slightly newer Jesse racks.

Attached Files:

19. Zubb

Oddometer:
    You haven’t been lulled into thermic complacency by eternal “70 and sunny”.
  20. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pbbbbbbt. :kat:lol3
    BJMoose likes this.