1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome :ricky

Edit: Colorado is one of my favorite states for both MTB and MC riding and in the past I was able to spends weeks doing both..
    Geek likes this.
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
  3. Doug Fremder

Doug Fremder 2017 BMW R1200GS Triple Black

Oddometer:
    I had a 1992 R1100RS if memory serves me correctly. Red, put about 32K on it in 2 Indiana riding seasons. Even did Reg Pridemore CLASS track days at Mid Ohio and Elkhart lake and yes I rode the bike to the tracks in addition to every Indy car race I could manage to get to. Great fun. Look forward to your builds JVB.
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I have a garage full of MTB's as well :ricky

If you know Colorado MTB trails at all my house is half way between Walker Ranch and Mountain Lion. :freaky

Local trail called Centennial Cone:

[​IMG]
  5. clange95

clange95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed some new-to-me SW Motech crash bars I got off of eBay. They have some scuffs and grime on them but seem to be 90% straight. The only exception is the left side mounting bolt, which is super bent and pulls the entire left side of the bars about 3/4" of an inch further back than the right. Also destroyed my skid plate mounts in the process, but luckily the bars came with some replacements so it's all good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rex Solgar, Animo, BDS and 3 others like this.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^ I don’t think we should be on speaking terms anymore :photog:imaposer
    I know where that is! Beautiful country up there for sure..:clap
    Geek likes this.
  7. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually 1994 was the first model year for the R1100RS in the US, the first BMW model with the Oilhead engine.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  8. GSBruce

GSBruce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Re. my 2018 BMW R1200GS - I've noticed on the UKGSer forum that they are keen to get protection on the cross brace of their center stand, which in the "up"/riding position is situated such that it receives a lot of rock strikes coming off of the front wheel. On Amazon, I found a a seller offering 14" by 3" strips of genuine 3M brand helicopter tape. I had to cut it down to 8-7/8" long. At 6,000 miles of 99% road / 1% dirt road riding I already had a few tiny impact scars, fortunately none of them seemed to penetrate down to bare metal. They don't sand roads around here unless there is significant snow/ice, and there hasn't been any since I bought this bike. I would assume this would be a greater issue for people riding where lots of sand is used on the roads during the winter.
  9. slow24

slow24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was a few months back. Can’t wait for the future!
    11AA5124-F8F9-449D-8BE4-5C2EB3185584.jpeg
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Oilhead started in 1994. Great bikes.

Edit: 205'd by @jdub
  11. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today I got the last component needed to finish my winter maintenance - a new antigravity lithium-ion battery. I’ll go ahead and say what everyone else says...it’s light! And smaller than my old Odyssey PC680:

IMG_3644.jpg

Didn’t realize the shortness would be an issue when installing
    IMG_3645.jpg
    But the posts were just so low! So I rigged up some of the amazon box to make a platform for it
    IMG_3647.jpg
  12. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_3648.jpg

Then wrapped it in duct tape
    IMG_3650.jpg
    And it fit just right
    IMG_3651.jpg

So, new front tire, new front pads, spark plugs, oil change, a real good clean (especially the wheels, spokes and all), and a new battery all done, I went for a ride

IMG_3654.jpg
    Rex Solgar, Animo, willfreely and 9 others like this.
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    mikegc likes this.
  14. 177in70s

177in70s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sag on my new to me '13 R1200GS LC: What is it? What should it be? What's the difference between the 3 electric rear preload settings?

Took the measurements from my axle hole to a corner of a red sticker near the hand holds with all three preload settings, helmet, helmet + luggage and two helmets on stock GS. Travel is 200mm, sag suggested at 62mm, 30% or so. Me at 220 #(pounds) without my gear on the bike with the (helmet + luggage) setting gives 62mm of race or riding sag which is ideal.

Based on this video:

the sag between one and the two helmet setting is 46mm = 1.75"

If I use one helmet setting, it sags more giving a more relaxed head tube angle. If I use the two helmet setting it sags less giving a slightly steeper head tube angle.

Well, the wheelbase is 1507mm so the inverse tangent of 46/1507 is 1.75 degrees. So the stock 64.5 deg head tube angle becomes a more stable with the one helmet setting when I ride alone without camping gear.

The bike will get a little easier to turn if I use the two helmet setting and the head tube angle gets steeper. Without a preload spanner nut setting I'm left with just the three settings. I see that the Touratech replacement uses the wiring to give 3 settings but it somehow lets you also turn a spanner to shift the settings all up or all down.

When I camp two up, I'll use the two helmet setting and check the sag and guess I'll have a relaxed steering head tube angle.

I've made a list of the effects of this helmet setting at this blog site:
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...ne-helmet-vs-Two-Helmet-Setting-some-GSAs-too

Since my '13 GS did not come with a steering damper and I haven't added one, being on the relaxed side of 64.5 should keep possible wobbles away.

Picture is of numbers in cms. and millimiters. Middle column is static sag, un-used. The video listed above has more accurate measurement, use them. I had a tankbag with tools on and the Vario Top Case with a lock and some other stuff in it. 580#. With me in gear 820#. One up with camping gear 920#. Two up without camping gear 1000#. With camping gear will be about 1125#, a little over spec. of 992#.

IMG_4443 2.jpeg
    Velko and Massabusa like this.
  15. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geek likes this.
  16. attila_66

attila_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Velko likes this.
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Because lead acid batteries were all that existed for the bike back in the 1100 days. That said, AGM is fine. The charge capability of an R1100 should be high enough to handle an Li battery.
  18. handensco

handensco Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a Shorai battery on my 1100 and never had any problems with it. I also had to use the spacers to add height.
  19. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    We're getting snow at my house tomorrow.
    If you are riding you may wanna check the forecast :cry

:freaky
  20. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can charge a lithium battery with a lead acid battery charger. They will not charge as fast or get charged to their full capacity but they will not be harmed. Most lithium batteries float at 14.4v as opposed to lead acid at 13.6. Your alternator/regulator won't let it charge at that voltage.

I honestly cannot find a significant advantage to them in a street bike.
    JimVonBaden likes this.