What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got me some new Grip Puppies for the new bike.
    Reminds me of the jalapeno hush puppies at Dewey Destin. :)
  2. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered the new City "pro" bag from Europe. Lets see when it comes. Will give a HU.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Massabusa

Massabusa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of taking my smaller bike up to Silver Lake SP in the van, and doing much the same route this week if I can swing it.
    I'll be alone- so I'll avoid anything really tough.
    Any section you remember as "difficult" ?
    Should still be good and wet!
    Speedslip and AdamChandler like this.
  4. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed the new BMW 5 series horn that came from eBay today. Have to say, while the tone is much lower, and I think that alone makes it more attention grabbing, the volume really isn't all that much different than the OE horn, or at least so it seems without actually testing it with a decibel meter. For $29.00 dollars, I'm not going to complain, because it's doing what I wanted, but if you're looking for something that sounds less like an R1200 GS and more like a large GE diesel electric locomotive, this isn't going to do it for you. :dunno
    Farnsrocket and AdamChandler like this.
  5. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I've heard the end of the Vermont section has a challenging advanced section. I haven't done that yet so beware. but on a smaller bike, just do it all.
    Massabusa likes this.
  6. postoak2112

postoak2112 Javalina

Oddometer:
    finally figured out a way to mount these Oxford lever guards on the '06. i hope i never
    find out if/how well they work. i was obsessed w/ finding a way to protect the levers
    w/out using bark buster frames etc. i need every ounce of air flowing on my hands
    that i can get.

marty IMG_6743.jpeg
  7. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    They will be fine as long as you don’t go through any brush/branches that could hook the lever. They look pretty cool actually.
  8. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    True. They look good. But they have so many “break points” that I doubt their usefulness. The main stabilizing thing for Barkbusters is that they have two mount points and not much leverage to be broken off. If air flow is a major requirement, the Barkbuster metal bar without plastic would do the job much better. Powder-coated if optics is important.
    AZgman, Dogslobber, Hogges and 2 others like this.
  9. Farnsrocket

Farnsrocket Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer:
    Did you get the High or Low tone Horn? My low tone is on its way!
  10. uuc328

uuc328 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Silly question but why not just get a set of foldable levers?
  11. uuc328

uuc328 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered a 15mm raiser set from Touratech. Can't wait!
  12. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frankly this does not look very confidence inspiring or safe. Hope they make more sense in real life than what it appears in the picture.
    Dogslobber, cug and Farnsrocket like this.
  13. postoak2112

postoak2112 Javalina

Oddometer:
    believe me, this is definitely an experiment. they feel very beefy to the touch at least.

m.
  14. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will GSA pannier rack fit a GS? 2017

EDIT: I currently have the Vario case rear rack system on. Does this need to be removed?
  15. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The low tone. Like I said, I think the difference in the note of the tone alone is more of an attention grabber than you get with OE horn, but I don't find it to be all that much louder. YMMV.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  16. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made a side stand foot 1-1/8" thick so the 2009 R1200GS doesn't lean and 70 degree angle when parked on a perfectly level surface. The prototype is 1/4" pieces of luan plywood with a 1/8" aluminum wear plate on the bottom.

Someday I'll get ambitious and cut and weld in an extension but for now I'm digging the richness a bit of wood is bringing to the game.

88FC17B7-C62F-4730-9389-CF22BBAEDA90.jpeg
  17. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The holder for the vario on the right side footpeg hanger is in the way of the rack. You can either remove the rear foot pegs and use your own shorter bolts, or you install a set from a GSA (or from Jesse Luggage – I've just ordered a set of footpeg hangers from them, haven't tried them yet, so don't take my word just now).
    smalls78 likes this.
  18. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m doing some non standard maintenance this week. Alternator belt was 5 yo So I pulled one that looked new to put a new one on. I have a good spare now. Pulled the driveshaft to check it and lube splines. Driveshaft discussion in another thread. Lubed the splines and fiddled the front of the drive shat on, a couple of hits with the rubber hammer and it popped in. Boots are a PIA. Replaced the sight glass as it was weeping. It was really stuck in there after 12 years. New one went right in after initially getting it cocked. 3lb hammer time get it in. Changed the oil, too. I’ll put the rear end together tomorrow. I’m tired.
    rdbonds and Callisto224 like this.
  19. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Forgive me if this has been posted before - but I just spent enough time drooling over this photo that I figured someone else out there might enjoy seeing it today as well :beer

[​IMG]
    Massabusa, ausfahrt, Stoshu and 18 others like this.
  20. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    ^^ Pitcher is nice but it's missing the most important and the bestestest of them all - LC GS/As... :D