1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. sceep

sceep Bus boy

Oddometer:
    Nice work.

I feel I should point out that that isnt a bubble flare tool. Bubble flares take a different die set than single or double flares.

I dunno what flare the bmw uses so pardon me if they are actually double flare. If they are bubble, you should probably re-do this line. (hey you get to buy ANOTHER tool!)

Edit: found this, would assume the bikes are also bubble if the cars are?
    https://www.rtsauto.com/brake-lines-for-bmws-and-e30s-the-bubble-flare-not-the-double-flare/

upload_2020-8-3_8-20-58.png
    177in70s likes this.
  2. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took the GSA to Montana and visited Yellowstone and Glacier Natl Parks. First picture was taken on Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Natl. Park and the second picture was taken in Yellowstone heading towards Mammoth Springs

Attached Files:

ADVQuest228, Dale402, 309 and 13 others like this.
  3. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The daily breakup is already done. We do this anyways so that we can plan daily distances better.

And getting Basecamp to do anything right is near impossible, so that’s an interesting one as well. I want to be able to let the Nav re-route as well, which isn’t possible if I just convert a track to a route or import a route. I have enough shaping points to make work though. For this I’m writing a small script to enumerate the waypoints from REVER in the GPX file. Then I can just select them and auto-create a route. Turn all the way point into Garmin shaping points and add some solid waypoints and I’m good.

Script should be easy in Python.

Next is to try the principle with some local rounds, see how it works. I’m taking a laptop so we can adjust the route easily on the fly. We’ll be booking hotels always just for the next day, so I need to be able to adjust the route quickly and easily anyways.
  4. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was The Sun Road open all the way across?

I thought I had seen that it was closed due to Covid Park closures and such?
  5. cug

Oddometer:
    And something I noticed: you better take care to place the REVER waypoints properly on the roads you want to take, it'll throw the Garmin off if you don't. I generally check in Basecamp that they are the way I think they should be to get proper routing.

For riding time, I have no idea what REVER does there, but the times are pulled out of donkey's behind. Moving a waypoint / shaping point a mile up or down the same road (101 in California for god's sake, and in the proper direction) can change the time estimate by about an hour. Does it think I want to push the bike on this part of the trip?
    tactical1 and Carlisja like this.
  6. wellcraft

Oddometer:
    The East entrance to the park is closed but the west entrance is open and you can ride almost 50 miles on Going to the Sun Road to Rising Sun where you will have to turn around. The best scenery is from the west entrance anyway so you don't miss much with the east entrance closed.
    sonnystile and 177in70s like this.
  7. Acousticplyr

Acousticplyr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at my work computer staring at the mountains in your photo- all I can think is how I can leave without getting fired to go for a ride and "lucky SOB...man I wish I was there right now." Looks like a perfect day! ENJOY!
  8. wellcraft

Oddometer:
    Checkout my ride report

https://advrider.com/f/threads/pa-to-montana-to-rapid-city-sd-and-back-home.1459846/

Lots more fantastic pictures for you to enjoy, I'm blessed to be retired and have the means to take trips.
  9. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Proudly distributed by Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Hey @maxattack -- Thanks for asking about the PRO line of tank bags. We are looking at seeing them in the U.S. mid-November! We know it's a bit of a wait, but we think it will be worth it. Here is a video talking about them, if you haven't seen it yet. We didn't make it, but he does a great job showing it off!

The Red Bull Team of SW Motech NA
    Proudly distributed by Twisted Throttle
    NPVeiga, maxattack, RoundTrip and 3 others like this.
  10. cug

Oddometer:
    Again, not strictly done with to my GS, but more towards being able to use the Nav VI for routing a REVER exported route properly.

So, script is done, now I can:
    • Create a ride in REVER, one day at a time
    • Export the days as individual GPX track files
    • Run the script to enumerate the REVER waypoints, so that they are in naming of 01_wp1, 02_wp2 etc.; the script takes a single or a list of gpx files and converts them in one go
    • Now I can import the files one at a time into Basecamp, select the waypoints and click "create route".
    • Within the route, I generally change most of the intermediate points to "shaping points" which hopefully gets me the general routing behavior I want.
    • I can now deviate from the route, will be brought back, I can restart routing from a certain way point etc.
    I plain find the "recommended way" in REVER to use Garmin devices a frigging joke. I want to be able to re-calculate, to get back on a route, to remove a single waypoint from a route etc. All they had to do was export their darn GPX file with the waypoints enumerated and I could have saved the time to write the simple script.

On to testing the behavior with various types of points (waypoint, shaping point etc) locally ... at least an excuse to go for rides ... ;-)
  11. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I want one!!!!

Love what you guys have done with the new pro line. these bags look freaking awesome.
  12. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    attachment system looks awesome. Think it’s be great for smaller items.
    SW-MOTECH NA and AdamChandler like this.
  13. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have been messing with the seat adjustment, had it on fully low and it was manageable for around 3 hours at a time. Left the front on the lowest setting while the rear was raised this past ride back from Michigan and wow, my back was not happy in this position. Will try the front at the high setting and rear at low setting.
    Also added some stickers to the inside of my vario cases. She really needs a wash, maybe I’ll park her outside tomorrow during the tropical storm...
    A0E5478B-E32D-4D5D-8001-1E46C185ED42.jpeg CD65782B-49EC-440C-A7D7-5FD2CD2A1BEF.jpeg A7A0B523-87BC-44DA-8405-C982B82F5F06.jpeg 3F04C16F-E176-40EE-9C93-7B90CA185B7E.jpeg A3A725FE-7A76-46D9-A144-A07670E7B3F1.jpeg
  14. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    If you can try GSA seat from a riding buddy (or buy used?), especially set-up front high/back low, you may find it better and for many more hrs...

Or, it may be time for a custom built seat - ymmv...
    Trackjunkie21 likes this.
  15. sceep

sceep Bus boy

Oddometer:
    Fitted my Cymarc vario-case stabilizer that finally made it stateside.

Took this pic and realized I missed some mud behind the plate.

Don't mind the troll. IMG_20200803_174517259.jpg
  16. recycled dirt rider

recycled dirt rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished installing Alrtider skid plate and engine guards on my 2019 1250 GS.
    IMG_4572.JPG IMG_4575.JPG IMG_4577.JPG
  17. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed with the 3 hour planning. It generally takes me a day planning per day of riding to just fine tune the plan after several weeks of basic planning.

Admittedly that's when I'm taking groups on tour and not just freewheeling solo.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  18. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish I was still on this trip
    IMG_1633.jpeg
  19. sgnden

sgnden Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unpacked my Barkbusters and thought I'd Plasti-Dip the aluminum. Wasn't really sure how I'd manage the spraying so figured I'd just use a trusty 'ol clothes hanger and bend it into hooks to hang the parts and spray. BUT! What fun is that when you've got the one, the only..Wonder Rake! It rakes, it pushes, it scrapes...it holds aluminum bits! Haha

IMG_3242.jpg IMG_3240.jpg IMG_3243.jpg
  20. r0man

r0man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up that NYPD has been issuing tickets for this frame on the plate this season. Two of my friends have got them.