1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    Isn’t that a stock license plate frame though?
  2. r0man

r0man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I understand it’s not OEM but dealer installed.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea. I will have to borrow that!
    sgnden likes this.
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    What is wrong with the frame? :dunno
    DIRTLER likes this.
  5. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We took the REVER web site to stitch together roads that looked good into manageable days. For these eight days riding is the goal, so we basically put together a lot of "yellow and red" pieces into days of 250 to 350 miles. Parts we already know, others we don't, but we didn't want a marathon freeway day at the beginning or end, just to get out of the areas we already know in and out. We also had some basic ideas floating around for a while (e.g. we'll head north close(ish) to the coast, make it to Portland, turn east for a bit and then make it back home along the Sierras.

Today it took me another two hours to clean up our basic plan from yesterday, I will verify a lot of this over the next week, making sure the roads are open and okay for us. The script took another hour since I haven't done much with Python before.

If I were planning for a group ride, I'd prepare more as well. If I was riding alone, I'd plan the first day, and then have some basic ideas where I want to go, but principally just plan the next day every evening in the hotel. I like the more spontaneous rides for myself.
  6. Nashfast

Nashfast 101st AB Sniper RVN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pics?
  7. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fear it’ll be time for a new seat soon, have been trying to keep some money in my wallet LOL.

Thanks for the heads up!
    It “covers” the state on the plate which makes it harder to identify. That’s according to a few police officers I’ve spoken to.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. Trackjunkie21

Oddometer:
    Question pertaining the painted panels on the 2019+ models, I’ve tried searching the max Bmw fische and seems there isn’t any info on the 1250’s yet. Is the rallye TE paint set available? Not that I’m planning on swapping now, but I sort of regret buying a black GS.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That is kind of a load of crap!
    [​IMG]
    You can clearly read the name of the state in the photo here.
    DIRTLER and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  10. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prepared to go for a ride...

2DBEA6EA-8E4E-4789-81F5-161E88CFB032.jpeg
    309, BJMoose, Covert and 2 others like this.
  11. r0man

r0man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, and I guess you can win this ticket if you go to court, but it takes time. Perhaps it's easier to avoid this encounter at all :-)
    Covert, Embret and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you mean by "Rallye TE" paint set - are you looking for white/blue body panels off of '19-'20 HP GS?

If yes, they're available: [​IMG]

Those are just the painted panels, if you want the blue/red and other decals, that'll be another 6 pieces approx. @$70 each...:eek7

You could have your panels painted for far less than what it'd cost to get new set - ymmv...:deal
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but this is the kind of fight I would take on. This is a ridiculous ticket to receive in the first place.

I guess mine would get me jail time.
    [​IMG]
    ADVQuest228, Dale402, slow24 and 5 others like this.
  14. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "common use" argument comes into play here as well. I would be glad to not only fight this ticket, but if I won I would then force the county to reverse any such tickets they have already written.

To those who think that can't be done I have had quite a few tickets cancelled for other people after being stopped at an illegal traffic stop.
  15. Trackjunkie21

Oddometer:
    While I agree and without getting too political in here, New York City really isn’t motorcycle friendly. I myself have never had an issue with any dealer plate frame whether it be car or motorcycle, but I appreciate those folks who have, giving me the warning.
    JimVonBaden and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  16. Trackjunkie21

Oddometer:
    Not sure how I missed that! Thank you.
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    No worries... There's another option and that's to buy primed panels (~40% of painted panels' cost) and then paint them to your own color scheme at local painter... :thumb
  18. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    This plate-frame citation is not just NYC thing... I've heard of similar at other states as well - something about the frame obscuring anything on the lic plate ie. not only the actual plate digits but anything else printed (each state has this requirement differently defined if at all)...

Then, there are those who won't offer free advertisement to the dealers which is why I never sport dealer's frame on my car/bike... :D
    SmittyBlackstone and Callisto224 like this.
  19. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the same as stopping someone for a "broken" tail light. It's a bullshit excuse. Have you ever had a cop ask you "Do you know why I stopped you?" in order to entrap you?. My answer is always "Don't you?" with a big smile. You were not going to get a warning from a LEO using that opening line.

Here's the deal. A decent cop will not stop you for this if you are obeying all the other rules. A bad cop will use any excuse to wind you up. I am very very glad that most of the law enforcement officers in this country are decent people.
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Things can get sketchy towards end of the month if citation quotas are not met so I'm not surprised with any reason for pull-overs... :deal

Remember a yesteryears event, when I removed possum scraper from my GSA which made the plate very dirty as a result (it was raining and I just got off of a shortcut gravel road) thus got pulled-over for "dirty plate" as LEO couldn't read my plate to see that the bike is tagged properly... :confused

Got off easy though so no biggie - and the possum scraper was promptly put back on afterwards... :D