1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. milq

milq Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect it has something to do with the increasing amounts of license plate scanning cameras in use. The boys in blue are probably under orders to make sure plates can be read by the software.
    Dale402 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is another reason to pull you over. I try to avoid stuff that lets them mess with me when they want.

Jon
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having been a municipal judge at one time, I have seen people put stickers on their tags as well as frames that cover the state and county. The law has to be strict because a lot people have no common sense whatsoever. Most of the cops I have dealt with won't write someone up unless it really gets over the line (unless you exhibit a bad attitude, of course)...
  4. sgnden

sgnden Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m going to connect my Hondo Garage Juiced Squeeze later today.

I guess I’ll connect a couple of ring terminals and heat shrink the connections if I can find parts for that tiny wire.

Sorry for the super basic question, but is it as simple as just connecting directly to the battery at the terminals? There are a few connections in there...just want to do it right. Thanks!

Adjustments.jpg
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    You're good to go using those 2 as +/- connections... :thumb
    Rex Solgar and sgnden like this.
  6. deep6blue

deep6blue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are vinyl wraps available in all kinds of designs and colors. Perhaps that may be easier and less expensive. Plus, you can change it again later.
  7. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't that leave it on all the time? I hate parasitic drains on my battery. You might want a switch of some sort in that circuit.
    Hogges and Callisto224 like this.
  8. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    That would depend on the rest of the wiring harness and how it's configured. If not integrated into bike harness, then a relay w trigger wire will be needed - ymmv...

Higher priced lights have harnesses which are tied to bike electrical harness via TPMS port (Clearwater, Denali etc) and connecting the aux lights to the battery is just providing the power to the aux circuit while bike's ignition on/off controls the rest...
  9. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    Got some new tires, TKC 80 front, TKC 70 Rocks rear, here is the rear
    20200804_115325.jpg
  10. Bruincounselor

Oddometer:
    Mansplaining?

The photo sure looks like direct battery positive and ground. A relay is a switch as are the fancy aux power boxes.....

11. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    I tried to explain in previous post:
    - You have to provide power to the aux lights and that has to be done through wiring them directly to the battery - any lights will have to go through this step.
    - Depending on how the rest of the aux lights wiring harness is configured, ie. if the harness will be integrated into bike wiring harness or not, you won't ie. will need additional relay and switch to operate the lights... If all is integrated (ie. like w Clearwater), you'll use existing turn signal cancel switch to turn on/off the lights and wonderwheel for intensity adjustments. Other lights manufacturers (ie. Denali etc) will have similar set-up...

You can take a look at Clearwater manual for installing their lights being that the lights are integrated through TPMS into bike wiring harness: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...00GSAW-R1250GS-R1250GSA-V4.2.pdf?v=1591136749

Page 5 shows battery fused connection and rest of harness set-up - hope it's all clear now! :deal
  12. Bruincounselor

Oddometer:
    @sgnden is installing a phone charger. He's asking if he can tie directly into the battery posts (see photo). He can, but will have parasitic drain on his battery (it will be always on). He gave no indication of having a Clearwater or other aux power solution so the above isn't pertinent.

I merely suggested he might want a switch in there somewhere. Based on his apology, "super basic question", I'll assume he's not so good with the smoke in his wiring. Your reply that he's "Good to go" is true in that it will work, but may lead to a starting problem somewhere (hopefully in his garage) as his battery drains.

I hope the OP hasn't been scared off by this pissing match.
    sgnden likes this.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^^ You may want to look up the "Hondo Garage Juiced Squeeze" installation instructions and see how it needs to be wired... :dunno
    sgnden likes this.
  14. Embret

Embret Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had a direct-connected "phone" charger connected to my last three Goldwings via a Y-connection to my battery tender connection at the battery. There is a small parasitic load from the USB charger, but if I recall my math from a number of years ago it would take months to run the battery flat based on that USB charger being connected all the time. I was worried about it until I did the actual math and then I chuckled. I've never had the battery killed by that connection. If the bike sits more than a week I plug it into the tender so it never becomes an issue. It is simply not worth the worry. When I'm on long trips I use that connection to charge my helmet while doing a museum or overnight, etc. I also charge up my USB battery bank for use on any devices that require charging at night that I might want with me and not on the bike itself.
    I would have no issue doing the exact same thing on my R1250GS although the battery is a smidgen smaller. I would have it done already but I haven't found a clean way of getting the power into my Vario Gehäuse.
    sgnden likes this.
  15. DBamaC

DBamaC Counting down to retirement...

Oddometer:
    I installed an eBay kickstand enlarger (really pretty decent) and a Puig headlight protector. Setting up the bike for mostly on road riding so I think I’m going to be happy with the protector.

Attached Files:

SmittyBlackstone and Callisto224 like this.
  16. Acousticplyr

Acousticplyr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a link to that kickstand widget? Thanks!
  17. DBamaC

DBamaC Counting down to retirement...

Oddometer:
  18. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to getting another turn indicator switch.. via putting a screw in the spot.

Attached Files:

19. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    For every cheap bastard (genius) out there, there’s someone like me with the aftermarket warranty.

But seriously, this is awesome.
    Dale402, BJMoose, sceep and 1 other person like this.
  20. handensco

handensco Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will have to remember that one
    AdamChandler likes this.