What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    haha yeah I tried going the legit route and hoping I could just buy the switch. But after looking for awhile I couldn’t. I have friends with a 3D printer but I don’t have calipers to measure the nub.
    Then I just thought I’d give a screw a shot and dug around in the extra screws bin and found a matching black one.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Yours will probably last longer than an OEM replacement anyway!
    SmittyBlackstone, Deano747 and RobLS like this.
  3. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went for a little ride today. Came home to the footers being poured for our standalone garage/shop. Cool.

D45F5C74-71A2-4EA7-9FFB-798213C24635.jpeg B5849205-73AE-415B-AD1C-9B790CB22B9F.jpeg A6B1332E-AF6D-4A8E-A228-BB3F3DDDB6F6.jpeg 1FBEC494-781E-4E9B-B49F-0B04B338BD3A.jpeg
    ausfahrt, upsscott, Massabusa and 9 others like this.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suggested that to someone recently. Glad it works. Doesn't even look bad since it is black.
    RobLS likes this.
  5. sgnden

sgnden Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, coming here to ask a basic question isn’t my first path. I searched and didn’t come across anything spot-on. If you’re saying they have that on their site, great, I’ll go look.

Thanks.
  6. sgnden

Oddometer:
  7. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Should have used a torex..........
    BJMoose likes this.
  8. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    If I had one I’m sure I would have used it
  9. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wireless chargers draw tens of mA even when idle. Not good. I would put it behind a switched circuit such as the GPS connector or an aux light relay if you already have one.
    Edit: saw the previous discussion. This is not like a USB charger, wireless chargers will draw 10x or more current in comparison. So instead of months to run the battery down you’ll be looking at a week or even less.
  10. NPVeiga

NPVeiga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    installed mine last week! Amazing! 3b6573a0-516b-43f3-b4e9-4af96e0773d8.jpg
  11. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You running risers or pullbacks? Didn’t know if it would interfere? Thanks
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  12. sgnden

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Glad I asked. Now I need to figure out physically from where it “should” be powered.
  13. Acousticplyr

Acousticplyr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right- I did the standard Google-Fu and also couldn't find any instructions to try and help out. Might be worth reaching out to the inventor directly- https://advrider.com/f/threads/perfect-squeeze-off-road-phone-mount.1144781/
    sgnden likes this.
  14. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you disconnect the charger from the power source when not in use, it shouldn't be pulling any power.
    sgnden likes this.
  15. Chinboys

Chinboys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am almost there adding stuff.
    One I hope not to use and the other I want to use when cruising along.

Alt Rider 1250 GSa reinforcement bars to OEM crash bars.
    Adventure designs' highway pegs with mounting brackets from one of our own here.

Attached Files:

Massabusa and Covert like this.
  16. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed an Altrider side stand foot enlarger and have to say, I'm not impressed. I fits soso, I would have expected the lower part to "hug" the foot, so that it can only fit in one particular position, but no, it's just a cut piece of metal, so the whole thing can be turned quite a few degrees. Which caused it to hit my centerstand when I first tried it. Rotated it and now it clears properly. I think that is something that would be easily avoidable.

The upper part is rather soft metal, it bent when tightened with a screw driver style tool (not a ratchet as they show in their instructions) and since the lower plate is rather thin, I don't expect the screws to last very long in there.

I got it because my side stand is rather short – same length as the one on my wife's lowered GS, and I wanted the bike to stand more upright when on the side stand. It didn't do all that much, even with the 6mm raising piece in there.

Overall: would not recommend this Alrider part. Not worth the money.

IMG_3349.jpeg
  17. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    ^ Not sure how much thickness that AR stand added and if the bike leans less than without it...

If you can find a 1/4" thick piece of plastic/delrin/kydex, you can cut out the shape of side stand foot w dremel, drill 2-3 holes and pop-rivet it in place to the SS foot?

Or, potentially use the same screw pattern of that upper AR plate, drill bottom plastic shaped to be able to be screwed to the upper AR plate using tapered head screws?
  18. NinjaRider

NinjaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must have got lucky on the alignment on my first try!

I ordered the extra middle piece as well thinking I wanted the bike to stand up straighter, but I didn't end up installing it. Maybe it installs better without it?

I have been very happy with the side stand enlarger and find it very helpful in locating the side stand with my boot.
  19. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is where the GPS supply is on my 2009, right behind the headlight assembly. The cable itself hasn’t changed in all these years and is available from your BMW dealer for a surprisingly low $15. It is proprietary so no use looking elsewhere. The GPS supply stays on for two minutes after the ignition is switched off, which is convenient so that the GPS and other things don’t immediately power down. You will have to crimp or solder connect the open ended wires from the adapter to your own cable or plug. I use it to run USB charger, aux socket, aux light relay trigger and the GPS itself.
    I am not sure if the very latest models such as the 1250 still have this plug. Maybe someone can comment.
    2B80413C-3D97-4BDE-A163-D6DC8B4C3CA3.jpeg A2B2C230-7E3A-4A54-B377-C2049B7BE9F3.jpeg
    sgnden likes this.
  20. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The lower part (the one that touches the ground) is about 3mm thick I'd say, then there is a 6mm "spacer plate", which I got in addition to the foot and the upper part. It does let the bike stand a bit straighter, but it's not much. I'm still not very happy with it as is. I think I'll go back to the dealer and check their other bikes as I believe my standard suspension bike came with a side stand for a lowered model.

Alignment would have been MUCH better if they had somehow added a guide. I checked the Touratech side stand foot on their German website and man, is that an incredibly much better engineered (Over-engineered? Definitely!) piece of kit.

I always use the little nub on the side stand to lower it, never the actual base plate.

Overall, I'm plain disappointed in this accessory since I expected more from Altrider, especially for this price. Their stuff is normally overpriced, but mostly worth it in comparison to others. This one feels as crappy as a cheap piece of Chinese clone that was done without actually having a bike to test it on and using cheap and soft materials.