What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I would like to challenge keeping ball of your feet on the pegs. If something happens and you have to brake suddenly, then you have to move your feet first and then you can press the rear brake. Also, in case of situation going bad, there is one more thing to think about, which I do not believe is wise. All in all, I`ll just keep my foot on the pegs, not the ball. Find the advice not wise.
  2. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your fingers dont work? Your bike has linked brakes so your right foot is optional. And unless your off-road, not very useful.

The number of problems a rear brake can solve by it's self is very short.
  3. Eric Marsh

Eric Marsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My clutch was engaging with the lever almost all the way out. I'd read that this can be caused by a failing slave cylinder. I figured I'd replace the cylinder and see if the fix works. The job was a bit of a tight go since I didn't feel like taking everything apart but I went slow and got it done, working around with the rear wheel and shock in place. I'm pleased to say that the clutch engagement is perfect now. My bike just turned 104000 kilometres.
    SmittyBlackstone, mikegc and m931a2 like this.
  4. Limbow

Limbow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a problem for me either; my fingers work great. I hardly use my back brake (except linked). In fact, I have a new bike with 750 miles on it and I don't think I've touched my brake pedal yet!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't keep the ball of your feet on the peg, only move it to that position when required, like when corning and leaning. You move you feet on the pegs to the position that is best suited to the current conditions, which change constantly.
    falcofred and Deano747 like this.
  6. Motorkas

Motorkas Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honestly, it’s all good – everybody is different – they fit the bike differently, have different riding styles, have different comfort levels with things, and the most important thing is ride within your comfort zone (perfect example: my friend and I are the same height and roughly the same build and we both own R1’s as track bikes – they are set up radically differently for our individual preferences and riding styles from bars to pegs to shifter location). On the GS, if you look at my rear tire, I probably have about 2 inches on each side of unused 170 tire – do I need to be on the balls of my feet all the time – not at all. On the track bike, I have a 200 rear with no unused space – you’re asking for bad things to eventually happen if you’re not on your balls of your feet at those lean angles and speeds.

With the OP’s question, he’s getting to point where it’s becoming a distraction (and a potentially dangerous one) and from the sounds of it, at leans angles on the street where he should be on the balls of his feet (at least on the inside peg) to get an easy fix so he’s not distracted at his highest lean angle in the turn. Does that mean EVERYONE should do – not at all. Does it mean that it will work for him (especially if he’s not doing it correctly) – also a no, but the post I made was not to start a debate about what is “right and wrong” – it was merely to help him get a safe and (hopefully quick) fix to solve a potentially dangerous problem and “show” him what I meant to cut down on him having to guess what was meant by what I said.

I went and found two videos on the typical movement of the feet during a typical lap (keep in mind MotoGP bikes are prototype bikes built around the rider so they can do things with ergos that very difficult to do on production based machines). Also keep in mind the size, height and riding background of the rider plays a role in what they do with the pegs as well – like I said – doesn’t work for everyone, but if it does, it’s usually a game changer.

Skip to 4:20 to see a lap, then jump to 8:00 to see the explanation.

With this one, look at his foot in a right hand turn, and now imagine what would happen to it if he kept it in the same position for the left turns (which is the reason he doesn't keep it there).

7. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Practiced bug collecting. PXL_20200921_174142120.jpg
    ausfahrt, SloDon, taliv and 10 others like this.
  8. Gus_1869

Gus_1869 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone and marc11 like this.
  9. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I missed some, so still collecting
    Deano747 likes this.
  10. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We used to play a game at our Goldwing weekends. On the first day, we’d place a small 1-inch round sticker on everyone’s windscreen, with a set of crosshairs on it. On the evening of the final day... the winner was the rider who was judged to have had the closest bullseye hit from a bug during the daily rides. I think you might’ve had a good shot of winning... :happay
  11. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    NO! I said ladies... That’s wifey in the avatar!

Kinda funny though! :lol3
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  12. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    you might want to keep that on the down low... :lol3
  13. Brokein2

Brokein2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We used to do that in my Wing group too til somebody saw me shooting a bug out of a straw into my crosshairs...
    SmittyBlackstone, Deano747 and ATCguy like this.
  14. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today I learned that I need to use my tall windscreen when going on long trips to keep the bugs off of me.
    SmittyBlackstone and marc11 like this.
  15. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little 300-mile jaunt through and around Devils Tower and the Northern Black Hills with three friends from out of town.
    We killed a few bugs but there were not very many as we had a foot of snow two weeks ago followed by several nights in the 20's. Snow all gone now. 2020-09-21 Ride.png
  16. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about a 1993 Honda VFR750 in Appliance White ? (one year run)

F523FB9A-1955-41B2-B866-1E5E160EFC19.jpeg D9AF6F7B-572B-4DCE-AC40-91FA512C4BDB.jpeg
  17. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bathed my bike....in a sunset. PXL_20200922_010018183.jpg
  18. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Showed the bike some Oregon forest that wasn't on fire. A pretty much perfect September day, ended up doing 380 miles. IMG_1797.jpeg DSCF6630.jpg DSCF6638.jpg
  19. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Changed my 2018 Racing Red GSA to 2014/15 Olive Matte. Purchased the OEM Orange “R1200” decals but changed my mind and went with some reflective black outline decals off of eBay. Look a lot nicer.

6C0E6D48-4CB1-408C-A285-37D095CA77C6.jpeg

30CEC3EB-CE9D-434E-95F5-44BCBD3E31DC.jpeg
  20. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a pair of rox risers from a member on here, threw them on the minute they showed up! C2DFCE3C-A62A-4BB2-B0B8-CF88B09C92B4.jpeg 458B9083-0C8A-46D8-8AFF-442926FC6A46.jpeg