What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Dynamick

Dynamick Waxing Gibbous Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is an easy check, will try that when home this evening.
  2. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, you usually only see a few other people. As I've gotten older, weaker and more brittle, if my bike ('15 GSA) should fall over I am no longer able to get it upright on my own. Last time I was on Phantom Canyon Rd. about 1/2 way through during a pee stop the bike fell over. All I could do was relax and wait for someone to come by. Thankfully within 30 minutes a local red neck came up in an old truck very eager to help and visit for a few minutes. After his help I was glad to listen to a story or 2 about his Harley.
    That's why it's fun to take trips, you never know when a fun experience will happen and another story to share.
  3. enrich

enrich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to mine after about 2 years- got error code for 1 faulty bulb.
    I love these lights but trying to return the bad bulb under warranty was a nightmare. Ended up just buying a new set.
  4. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    Took what i learned from my gsa and applied it to my 1290.

image.jpg
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    These are the same ones I have on my bike and have been on there for 20K+ miles.
    I have started getting a LAMPR error after I replaced all the turn signal stalks with Triumph ones. It was a loose wire the first time. The last error this weekend lasted a few seconds and cleared so I'm assuming I'll need to go in there again and reseat everything. Maybe add a little electrolytic grease this time.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. Cottwood

Cottwood First bike

Oddometer:
    I have a 15 as well. I can still get the bike up when it is down. But it is not as easy as when i was younger. Now 65.
  7. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Umm... we are still talking about motorcycles, right? :imaposer
    r0man, Cottwood, Massabusa and 4 others like this.
  8. Canton rider

Canton rider Canton Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this is the right forum for this. I've already posted on the nOOb thread introducing myself, but want to ask for your assistance in "SPENDING MY $$" wisely. On 10/3 I trade in my Harley Road Glide Special on a 2017 R1200 GS Adventure. I like to take long motorcycle rides but needed something substantially lighter than the 880lbs with the HD. I'm looking for ergonomics and safety improvements initially. What I'm thinking about getting is as follows:

1. Upgraded seat with a back rest (I've had back surgery 3x and need the back support). I'm looking for something like my HD seat (cush-y with an adjustable backrest). I'm considering a Sargent seat with the backrest.
    2. Upgraded lights (I like to ride into the evening/night) and after checking the pricing on these, they are REALLY expensive. Need to get your thoughts about the best lights for the $$.
    3. Lowered pegs....I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and need more room to stretch my legs. Thoughts on this? The bike already has highway pegs so I'll be able to stretch out on the trip back (I live in Atlanta and will be picking the bike up and riding it home from Dallas, TX).
    4. It's got Bumot hard cases on it.
    5. Thinking about the "extenda-fenda" and the "mudsling guard" in case it rains.
    6. It already has a skid plate.
    7. It's got a full set of crash bars.

So......let me know wht you think. I'm very excited about getting the new (to me) bike and putting some miles on it.
    AJ41 and dave 6h like this.
  9. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    My bike (‘07 GSA) has HID headlights that were installed by the previous owner. They put out a nice bright white light but sometimes the light doesn’t come on when I start the bike. I’ll get a LAMPF code when this happens. Usually shutting the bike off and restarting fires it. Once in a while I need to restart it several times to get it going.

I don’t think it’s wiring related. I went through the wiring not long ago, cleaning it all up and checking connections. I have been told that the ballasts for these lights need a good bit of juice to initially light them up but that doesn’t really give me any insight into the cause of the issue. The dark arts of electricity are a mystery to me.

Any of you have any idea why this happens? I don’t find it too bothersome as it doesn’t happen often and I’ve always gotten them to work but I’m concerned that one day they won’t work at all. I expect that will be the day I’m out after dark...
  10. chillerman

chillerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right forum, wrong thread. You would be better off starting your own thread if you are able.
  11. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    You could start similar thread, if there isn't one already, as to "what didja do to your KTM 11xx/12xx today" - show 'em Katoomers, how the farkeling is done the proper way... :D
    KiwiKurt and Myll like this.
  12. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    Hahahh. Already done
    Dynamick likes this.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    You're well trained, aren't ya?! :D

The Katoom owners need to learn how they can spend 1-2x value of the bike just in doohickeys and farkles - nothing less will do, as everything is functional and needed expense... :jack

Why should only BMW riders be broke - we can have KTMs owners join the fun... :D
    KiwiKurt likes this.
  14. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    hahahahahahahahahaha school is in session!
  15. Canton rider

Canton rider Canton Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    :beer

:D
  17. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    wait til they see the tractives. :D
  18. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    You shoulda leave that for the end... Ie. all of the other stuff they could do without first and then the "punch line" with suspension upgrade which is one of the best mods (and the most expensive one)... :rofl
  19. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did one of my somewhat frequent extended lunches. Went and grabbed a Subway sandwich about 35 miles away, and then brought it back home for a 70 mile roundtrip lunch ride. It isn't much, but it sure puts my head in a better place. Oh, and there's a Subway just 1/2 mile down the road from my house. :lol3
  20. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    My damn EZCan failed for the third time - thinking hard about reverting to a PDM60 Power Block.
    I love the functionality of the EZCan when it works but three failures in 18 months is excessive.
    To their credit HEX has been standup about replacing the units but it is a pain in the butt.
    Rant Over I feel so much better now LOL!
    Callisto224 likes this.