1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not as flexible, but my Clearwater system (Canopener, Darla lights, Billie brakelight) is now on the third bike and has been perfect since 2015.
    BJMoose likes this.
  2. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a sandstorm tank with a custom mounting set up I dreamed up.
  3. IHMSAKIWI

IHMSAKIWI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I often do a 5 1/2 hour round trip down a very long winding road 225k's each way to buy a couple of kilos of coffee beams we particularly like from Raglan here in NZ.
    I'm usually so knackered once there I come home the easy straight road option.
    Limbow, eri, BJMoose and 1 other person like this.
  4. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] ?
    currently buying beans green from "the nz coffee co." on khyber pass,
    roasting at home, (if you ever can't get to raglan, try a kilo of nz coffee's jungle congo) https://www.thenzcoffeeco.co.nz/pages/coffee
    which reminds me, need to do 200gm of columbian tomorrow morning to wake the kids up an restock the hopper........got to blend the sumatran down with something
    BJMoose and simmo1 like this.
  5. snofrog

snofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far this week I've ordered handle bars,headlight cover and right side bar multi switch unit . I'm all in getting this back on the road . I actually got to ride it around the block last week . Bent bars and hotwired lol . After this I have some leaks to address and some broken lights . Then it should be road ready .
    BJMoose and Callisto224 like this.
  6. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    no judgement here. Ill ride an hour for a Sheetz turkey sandwich. Lol.
    Trackjunkie21 and BJMoose like this.
  7. multiphrenic

multiphrenic Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been known to ride 190 miles to fill up on gas. Unfortunately I’m almost empty by the time I get back :fpalm
    Deano747, 177in70s and BJMoose like this.
  8. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Hey Saul,

Just a guess - but your battery might be low on fluid or be getting old? What is its resting voltage?

Potential (electricty pun!) theory:
    The ballast needs a bunch of juice (it can draw like 10 amps for 250ms) to convert to voltage to ignite the bulb (~25,000 volts in some cases). Perhaps when you start the bike the juice it needs isn't there due to the battery being low (your charging system pushes its juice to bring your battery voltage up). You run the bike a minute and push some juice into the battery and that allows the ballast to get the juice it needs to fire the next time.

Throw a volt meter on your bike when it has been sitting over night (before starting it) and see what voltage your battery is resting at.

You have lots of variables (bulbs, ballasts, wiring, resistance, parasitic loss, battery) but this is an easy place to start to at least eliminate one of them.

Hope this helps.
    :freaky

p.s. I've had ballasts die in high vibration environments (went through several on my TE610).
    309 likes this.
  9. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    My new garage should be built in about a month or so. Then I can get my No-Mar out of the basement and mount it again. I think that I'm less than an hour from you and you are welcome to have at it any time!
    [​IMG]
    18415, BJMoose, AdamChandler and 2 others like this.
  10. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    My luck would be that I break your tire changer :p

PS thank you for the offer.
    Massabusa, Deano747, RobLS and 5 others like this.
  11. Canton rider

Canton rider Canton Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. I like it.
    marc11 likes this.
  12. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Raglan's about 540kms from me, is the coffee that good ? hmmmm I wonder :-)
  13. scrambler06

scrambler06 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the 12K service in the garage in perfect weather the last 2 days. Bike has ~34,000 miles so just a little early per schedule but it was a good time to get it done. Very pleased to find the valve lash has not changed since I bought the bike new in 2013. Beemer Boneyard supplied the service kit and Mobile 1 oil and gear lube from AutoZone just down the hill.

[​IMG]
  14. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a clean garage you have. Nice!
    ADVQuest228 and Velko like this.
  15. Seminole88

Seminole88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed Puig Windscreen Visor- size large. Solved helmet buffeting problem. Easy install. Puig .JPG Puig .JPG
    18415 likes this.
  16. scrambler06

scrambler06 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hogges. The house is new to me last spring and the previous owner sealed the garage floor. Never had one before, but it makes it easy to clean the floor
    Velko and Hogges like this.
  17. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strapped it to a trailer for a trip to Utah... 5136E7C1-A109-4136-B6B7-D69E01854DFF.jpeg
  18. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Commenced 48K service. All was going well until I dropped the rear-drive and pulled the driveshaft.
    No rust on the splines, all came apart easily, the rear boot is getting a little tattered but the rear U-Joint was quite notchy.

Took the driveshaft over to Sturgis BMW, the tech looked at it and agreed, placed call to Extended Warranty Company, before I got home I had a text from the warranty company approving the replacement of the drive-shaft and both boots. All I have to pay is the sales tax $110. I paid $1092 for the warranty, they replaced a rear drive Hub seal two years ago for $200, now this driveshaft which the part alone is over $1200! I think I have recouped my investment plus.

I put the driveshaft back in without the boots and continued the 48K service, I need to be able to turn the wheel to turn the engine to check the valves - tomorrows project.
    Rex Solgar, DaveCR, Massabusa and 8 others like this.
  19. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    You have better way of dealing with the tires as outlined in your youtube clip... :D

No tire changers get broken when you use them to change the tires but same can't be said for bikes needing tires changed... :lol3

Need to watch that clip of yours again - always get a good chuckle outta of it... :-)
  20. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The companies that sell lowered pegs never tell you you’re going to need a new longer shifter and longer brake pedal. They lie by omission. I don’t know too many tall guys with size 8 feet. I got the Ilium works Big Grippers. I needed a new shifter and brake pedal. Not complaining though as the SW Motech shifter is much better than stock.