What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Last weekends riding in Moab gave a new meaning to “scraping pegs in the canyons”. I bottomed the bike out countless times on the various jumps, dips and rocks we encountered. My Twin Headlight Ernie skid plate did it’s job but the mounts were a mangled mess by the time I got home. Sheer luck that I didn’t snap a fastener in the block or worse. So I pulled that plate, put the stocker back on with new fasteners and ordered up a Black Dog $kid Plate. Expensive, but less than being stranded somewhere.

As for GS’ing Moab: I’ve ridden there a bunch on pure dirt bikes but this was the first time on a big bike. I was amazed at how much fun riding I found. The GS won’t be doing Kane Creek or Pritchett but I got to see a whole other side of what’s out there and can’t wait to go back.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks to Uber, insurance companies are wise and yes, if they find out, you’ll likely have your coverage revoked. They don’t allow it.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. SmellmyMule

SmellmyMule Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! I bet at first sight he thought 'hey, is that guy delivering that bike to my house? Cuz he's running pretty late and I'm impatient!!' Then he probably realized 'there are few other machines if any, on the road that look so natural, purposeful, and practical.' Anything more is too much and unnecessary. Details to follow...
    :beer
  4. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And not only insurance companies, but manufacturers & warranty companies also. I think I’ve told this story before, but I’ll share it again.

Back when I was riding Goldwings, a friend of mine took his Wing to the local Honda dealer because his transmission was acting up. (for a short time, there was a production issue where some were jumping out of gear). He really wasn’t worried about anything, because it was a known issue that many others had been taken care of under warranty. After the initial diagnosis by the tech, he was told it would take a few days to get the part & approval from Honda... yada, yada, yada... and to drop it off sometime the following week, which he did.

A few days later he gets a call that they’ve heard back from the mothership, but that they’d like him to come down to the dealership to show him something before they proceeded. So now he’s thinking the worst... and wondering if he’s gonna have to fight to get it repaired. But he tries to keep an open mind, and see.

So he gets there, and they invite him into the office... where they tell him that they can do the repair, but there’s a possibility that it won’t be under warranty. So naturally, he begins going a little ballistic, and asks “why?” They reply that Honda wants to void his warranty for cause. Now he’s REALLY getting pissed, as the bike is only 8 months old... AND... he bought the extended 5-year warranty at the time of purchase.

So finally they get to it, and ask him if he’s ever been racing with the bike... to which he replies “No”. They then bring up a computer readout of his GPS history, and ask him to explain why they show his bike at a single location for over 8 hours, making continuous circuits over the same area? Not thinking anything of it, he tells them he took it to a track day for improving his riding skills.

They shake their head, and tell him that... unfortunately, his warranty is now void, as it’s expressly prohibited in the warranty terms that the bike has been used in a manner other than intended. My friend argues that it was a CLASS... not racing... but they tell him that he’ll have to fight Honda about it because they’ve denied the claim. Honda won’t provide the parts, nor reimburse them for the labor.

Bottom line: check the fine print of those warranties & insurance policies. You never know what kind of prohibited activities may be hiding in there.
  5. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    Not today but tomorrow I get to go spend almost $300 for the run in service on my new cycle. Makes my brain hurt I’m willingly doing that to maintain a warranty
    SmittyBlackstone and 18415 like this.
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Your warranty is in no way even remotely dependent on who services your bike. It is dependent on the required maintenance being done. If a manufacturer makes a warranty contingent on the work being done by an agent of the manufacturer, then they must provide the work for free. That is why your documentation is full of the words “recommends” and “recommended” and not the words “must” and “required”. The same reasoning applies to things that are “specified”, such as oil viscosity and API/JASO certifications, and recommendations, such as using a specific brand of oil.
  7. Limbow

Limbow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently did my run in service for about $60. I could barely afford my 1250 and can't pay to have the dealer service it!
    SmittyBlackstone and Covert like this.
  8. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the blue one? Is that one of those old school K bikes?
  9. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that I’m not making any judgments here... ok? But just a little story:

Back when I was a little boy, I remember my dad showing me an old Ferrari that one of the general contractors he worked for had. Bright red, sporty, convertible... my dad LOVED that car. So I asked him one day why he didn’t just go buy one too...didn’t he have enough money? His reply was something I’ve never forgotten:

He sat me down, crouched down so he was on my level, looked me in the eye and said... “Son, having enough money to buy it ain’t the problem. That’s the easy part that they show you. The hard part is having enough money left over to pay the hidden costs of insurance, registration, taxes, tune-up parts, and the real big one... the cost of having someone else repair it, if it’s something you can’t fix yourself.”

One of the best lessons he ever taught me...
    Phil8dirt, RTinNC, BJMoose and 4 others like this.
  10. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was a little surprised at how much the K bike reminded me of the little Harleys with the high bar set up.
  11. triple2

triple2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Installed the Altrider Dualcontrol brake system. Improves not only access to the rear brake while standing but for me also when seated. A great addition for those without the Adventure brake pedal.
    Also added the SW Motech Pro Daypack tankbag. Very impressed with the quality and ease of use. 20200926_113237.jpg 20200926_113237.jpg 20200926_113246.jpg
    handensco, 18415, maxattack and 7 others like this.
  12. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    How are you liking those RallZ? I am loving them!! Best dirt tire traction I've ever ran.
  13. IHMSAKIWI

IHMSAKIWI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If that's 540 each way with an over-night stay thrown in then that may be a trip-too-far for beans. hen again Raglan does have a great motorcamp.
  14. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    This is my set up, I change tires for my friends also, in exchange for Beer. Too bad you are so far away.
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    What? I can't hear you? I'm tone deaf below 80 hz now cuz I rode them on the highway :photog

:freaky
    RoundTrip likes this.
  16. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Scouting for open Trails yesterday ...
    5BC019A3-0DD7-4611-B25E-8554DF9DF950.jpeg
    ausfahrt, Massabusa, 18415 and 3 others like this.
  17. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Right? Loudest tires I’ve ever run. But the vibrations on road are less than I expected for such knobbly beasts.
  18. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Went to breakfast

[​IMG] a
  19. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had my new 1250 GS serviced at 500 miles and found that the water pump needs to be replaced because a seal went out.
  20. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Got one as well. Will say, the new Trailmax Mission is a nice challenge even with that changer.

My advice, look for one used and save some money. I found mine from a business that had one to start but upgraded to the motorized changer.