What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    It has. The side stand really needs more spring resistance. Not all of us have flat ground in our lives :photog
  2. FreeTimeinTX

FreeTimeinTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or it needs to be notched like on the Harley-Davidson's, so when the weight is applied, the side stand is locked in.
    SmittyBlackstone, Geek and ATCguy like this.
  3. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve never been a Harley guy, but I will admit... their kickstands are pretty damn good. The length... angle... etc... it just works, and the bike is rock steady. I’ve NEVER heard of any Harley rider feeling the need to modify one, and/or shopping for an aftermarket type.
  4. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    Heck, they even tow the bikes on a trailer on the side stands. It's the only make that I've seen consistently trailered on the side stand.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. NinjaRider

NinjaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best post I have seen in a long time. "A strobing Sevina at 5am is a pretty fucking spectacular thing". I am still LMAO! Made my day! I have Erica's and know what they look like when they strobe, I can't imagine the Sevinas!
  6. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today:

B70A8488-9F23-46CE-8421-E8B8EE1A7164.jpeg
  7. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be sure to check out the Killboy.com page in a few days to find photos of your ride:

https://www.killboy.com/
  8. cug

Oddometer:
  9. mwoods

mwoods Back for more adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ever get the feeling you aren't meant to do a job today? Today's list was a couple things on the '02 GS I picked up recently. First was figuring out why nothing wired into the add-on fuze block was powered. Turned out the relay was bad. Easy enough fix, since I happened to have a spare. Next was re-sheathing most of the wiring harness. I used a bunch of this, in three different sizes:
    upload_2020-9-30_19-28-10.png
    This product works really well for this job. Thanks to whomever wrote the post I found on here recommending it.
    Next was swapping the brake lines for a stainless set. Last week I ordered a set of lines from Speigler and a set of speed bleeders. This is the job that wasn't meant to be. First, both lower brake lines were made incorrectly. They were made with 90 degree bends, not exactly what BMW used. Then the front speed bleeders were the wrong size. They sent 8mm, and I need 10mm. I was able to get in contact with Speed Bleeder, who was great, and is sending me a new set and a postage label to return the 8mm set. Speigler was closed by the time I tried to call, but I'm sure they will take care of it when I speak to them tomorrow.
    IMG_3021.JPG

Oh well. New brake lines another day....
  10. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s an awesome upgrade for your bike. I’m sure your going to be really happy with the upgrade and I’m thoroughly confident Speigler will take care of you.
  11. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Took the "long way up" to Barre Vermont which is about 90 minutes each way to find out what the fuss is all about. Verdict...not for me in its current form but:

1. make it 200 mile range
    2. add Level 2 charging
    3. Lower footpads half an inch
    4. raise seat an inch
    5. Raise bar 1.5"
    6. add crash bar
    7. add spoked wheels
    8. add windscreen
    9. Redesign rear for a rack-less bag of some sort
    10. drop price to $24,000 before tax incentives

...and I'd consider buying one.

I just felt way too cramped on this thing but it was fun! did 15 miles on it and had a blast. TFT showed 60% battery remaining and 54 miles. Sheesh. $30K for a 100 mile commuter is insanity.

if they put out a $24K "long way up" version of this, I'd highly consider it as a 'day-trip adventure bike' but the range would still make its impossible to own. we only have 5 DC fast chargers in NH/VT combined.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kind of blown away by HOW SMALL it is. the smallest HD bike currently sold and one of the most expensive base prices.
  12. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    I agree with your sentiment. Basically if they had a light adventure version of this like you said the "long way up" edition I would take an interest... specifically an interest.
    It would have to win me over in many more departments too.
  13. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    forgot to add when the guy walked out and the bikes were positioned this way I told the salesman, "It kind of looks like dad is yelling as his son for not doing his homework" The GSA is just so commanding by comparison.
    SmittyBlackstone and Callisto224 like this.
  14. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just standing next to a Fiat 500 at a traffic light makes me chuckle as you tower over that car...:D
  15. Canton rider

Canton rider Canton Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great minds think alike.....I'm riding my HD from Atlanta, GA to Dallas, Tx this coming Friday to pick up my new (to me) 2017GSA. I'll be riding the new bike home and I can't wait. This is my first BMW motorcycle also.
  16. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of this.

I was blown away by how much FUN those things are and I can’t lie... they have me really excited for the FUTURE.

The tech isn’t quite there, but better infrastructure and lower price and we are getting pretty close.
    BJMoose, mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  17. cug

Oddometer:
    Nothing yet from Killboy, but here are two others:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photos from 129slayers.com
  18. Dannno

Dannno 200 Miles before breakfast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m installing shocks next weekend. (2015 GSA) going from lowered to standard height. Anyone have a reason I should not put the bike on the handy lift for this job? Should I do shocks with the bike on the ground?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. FreeTimeinTX

FreeTimeinTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see what the actual R&D costs were for the Livewire. HD wasted their time and a boatload of $$ with it IMO.

I see Zero just partnered with Polaris. That should yield some very good things.
  20. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    there is a lesser known manufacturer that has a production electric motorcycle that checks most of the blocks. Price ($22,000), range (250 miles) and access to infrastructure (fast charger included so almost any charging station will work) are definitely in the realm of the possible today. It is the Energica Eva Esse Esse 9+ (SS9 is an Italian road).

https://www.energicamotorusa.com/energica-eva-esseesse9-old-school-electric-motorcycle/

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2021-Energica-EVA-ESSEESSE9+-5011090710