What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Motorkas

Motorkas Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again - finally put two and two together - I think you know my riding partner (and who I consider my "GS guru":-)) - he's the one that got me to consider the street again, and was a big reason I landed on this platform - then he threw me in the deep end with a trip to TN, NC, VA and is the one who's taking me to all the dirt and gravel - I'll be getting a video from you soon and hope to meet you in person soon as well (if you are who I think you are, he brings his bike to you to work on)
  2. Motorkas

Oddometer:
    Speaking of. . .today did 260 miles through VA, WV and MD - lots of dirt and gravel and even did miles of ridge running which was cool as hell!!!! Mid 50's. . .end of Nov. . .just crazy.

IMG_3243.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg IMG_3262.jpg IMG_3266.jpg IMG_3272.jpg
    ExxonValdez, rboett, ausfahrt and 9 others like this.
  3. Motorkas

Oddometer:
    If it works, it works. . .:D. Thanks again for all the info and help!!!!!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_0073.JPG Did some riding in the Olympics yesterday. Snow is beginning to creep down in elevation. It's the shady areas that don't see the sun, what sun there is that is, that you have to watch out for.
    bigjohnsd, krussell and 177in70s like this.
  5. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bet you’re also using the manufacturer recommended oil at the recommended intervals. What a disgrace! :D
    Magus and AdamChandler like this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Screw me, right? LOL. I follow the manual for everything no matter what the Internet says unless I personally experience something different. Only exception on the GS would be I do brake fluid every year instead of 2 because the rear brake will get squishy if I wait more than a year and I lubricate the final drive splines every couple of years. everything else..by the book.
  7. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I think that the brake fluid should be an annual item to do rather than every two years. The servo assisted brakes of the past were especially vulnerable to old brake fluid. It is cheap enough not to have to worry about it even if you have the dealer do this service, specially if the bike is still under warranty...
    GS Addict likes this.
  8. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I got tired of waiting for the original mam handguards. Went China.com.
    Pretty much the same thing, but time will tell. Installed em today after giving Adam some money to watch. :)
    Almost all of the farkles on my bikes are from USA or Europe.
    No pics but its the same thing.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is what I did, and I am betting the quality is pretty close, plus $200 cheaper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ausfahrt, Huckwheat and AJ41 like this.
  10. Aviatordoc

Oddometer:
    Jim, Ty. I put the handle bar clamp (in the 3rd pic above) all the way in and it rubbed on the plastic fairing on top of the gas tank on the GSA. So had to loosen it all up and push the whole thing upwards. Perhaps if I had to move it out a hole like you did, it may not have happened. It does not touch now and the loctite would have set for now. I will keep it in mind if it ever comes out.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  11. Aviatordoc

Oddometer:
    So another tip on the above handguards.
    I had a Techmount radar detector mount in almost the same place on the left that the mounts for the guards go on the handlebar.
    Found out that the upper half of the bar clamps for the handguard could be replaced with the upper half of the techmout, same screws. Viola!!!
    Hope this helps someone.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  12. BillGsa

BillGsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tires, final drive fluid & spline lube yesterday 230 miles today
    Turned 49,000 miles too
    Also put my old T-Bag back into service as a backrest.
    20201129_193655.jpg
    Callisto224 and Aviatordoc like this.
  13. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today was part two (preview post) of readjusting my Hondo Garage Juice Squeezed to work with the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I was able to determine that the small screw takes a 3/32" hex bit, good thing I had one laying around.

72F92576-97A5-4018-B4AA-F3EC056DF60D_1_105_c.jpeg

Added Locktite to both ends of the screw

4653A51D-7287-4D72-A64C-4D59BC365D3E_1_105_c.jpeg

Now it charges w/o making contact with the buttons.

E867098C-17E0-4CA6-B5F9-5CAE4E3225E3_1_105_c.jpeg
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I absolutely hate a metric bike with accessory SAE fasteners. Makes no sense to me. Bitch is, you can't swap in metric hardware as the threads are also different. Poor design since 95% of all modern bikes are metric.
  15. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went where I shouldn't have been. Late in the day. Late November. Near freezing temperatures. Ice on the surface. Riding alone.

I found the deep trench on the right side. Left side was firm and shallow, I later discovered. Several lessons learned yesterday.

[​IMG]
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

I'm almost certain I know exactly where that is and on the 3 occasions I've come across it, I've never once tried to cross it. Brave man.

..and it's annoying because crossing it means I'm close to the end of the trail and back tracking is a 30 minute ordeal.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  17. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just remember next time, stay left. You'll be fine. :imaposer
    Zubb, Huckwheat, ChicoProf and 2 others like this.
  18. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    King's Highway in Stoddard, NH. Yes, I was trying to get through without back tracking. The road leading up to the puddle was fairly tricky. I had to walk out to some houses where I got help from a couple guys. An hour and a half later I was back tracking, cold and very wet. I rode out in the dark. My phone says I walked 4.5 miles in that time. Temperature was 32.9ᵒF when I got home.

:shog
    Zubb, 18415, AdamChandler and 4 others like this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Hey while I have you, any update on the GS ECU tune you had done? It's been at least 3-4 months right?
  20. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the MAX tune is fantastic! The bike is very responsive and alive. It loves to brap over small bumps for a little air time. It's very easy to pop it so that the front wheel gets lifted over an obstacle or hole in the trail to avoid a jarring hit on the far side.

The power to the wheel is substantial. On my ride yesterday, I had to be very careful going uphill on a grassy slope. If I gave it much gas at all, the wheel would spin. It takes some clutch control to sustain traction. Also a rear tire with good tread.

The bike really rips. And it sounds great with the Akrapovic exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]