What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. kwoodard

kwoodard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It changes the position of the rear fender when bike is on the ground/off center stand.
  2. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great riding around here, and if it was yesterday or today, beautiful weather!
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    This is too scientific for my tiny mind.
    RoundTrip and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although I like Alt Rider stuff, this experience is what made me get the BDCW skid plate a while back. Sucks it’s happening to multiple people. No thanks.
    _Gir_ and AdamChandler like this.
  5. Gentleman George

Gentleman George Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've finally gotten me to get in gear and post. Been meaning to.

I installed a Black Dog skid plate in March. I have been riding and racing motorcycles for five decades and have been a Mechanical Engineer for four decades. In that time I've designed a lot of good products and learned a lot from a few bad mistakes. I also worked my way through engineering school as a mechanic in an equipment rental business and have spent time at sea as a licensed engineer on ships. All of that is to say I recognize a well designed quality product and the Black Dog skid plate is one. Well thought out, great protection, and easy to install. I have no experience with alternatives other than the plate BMW put on my 1250 Adventure, so won't comment on others.

I'm attaching a couple of photos of the stock skid plate and Black Dog, both side by side and installed. You can't see the difference in material thickness but the lack of adequate coverage of the stock unit and how this is rectified by the Black Dog product is clear.
    20210311_175406.jpg View attachment 3041846 20210313_115957.jpg

Attached Files:

slow24, overtone, 18415 and 10 others like this.
  6. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great review! We don't like getting stranded in the woods or replacing motors/repairing holes in the case so we went the bomb-proof route :D

Thanks again for the review and trust in our products for your GS!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    OldBarKeep and Dogslobber like this.
  7. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arrived in Great Falls late yesterday evening, and got the GS out of the RV garage to go pick up my registration package for the rally.

The bike campground is already pretty full, the vendors are on site, and at least 100 or so other riders’ bikes in the parking lot doing an early recon just like me. :)

383AB5E3-77D7-4D92-8CBC-0BAAB2627E9D.jpeg 85E6D7C5-4C25-4ED7-98A5-47CC7F6B5C39.jpeg 3571ECFB-E645-4047-A2D9-919B66F59E00.jpeg 7043B0B6-F029-45DC-B33B-124E00369C83.jpeg
    rauchman, TownPump, bigjohnsd and 6 others like this.
  8. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    If any of you guys and gals see me, please say hi. I'm in MOA shirts & Hat all week. I'm fatter than I look online but a lot more jolly and happy to meet everyone than one person should be who worked yesterday then flew all day to get here and woke up at 4AM for work at my day job.

I start my duties as Secretary for the BMWMOA today, a position I self-nominated for and will gladly own for as long as they need it. See you guys around. I'm staying at the Marriott since I don't have a bike or camping gear but I'll be on-site from 7AM-8PM most days.

I'm trying to find out who this guy is cause I want to put a 50L cooler on my bike as well. Looks awesome:

[​IMG]

Better photo of cooler bike taken with the real camera:
    [​IMG]
  9. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of my friends are there, I wish I could be there to meet you guys and others and take in all the MOA coolness. Hope you guys have a blast!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. CharlesH

CharlesH Support those who support you. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a heavily loaded GS!
    AdamChandler and ATCguy like this.
  11. JCMagoo

JCMagoo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rigged up some detachable pelican cases using SW-Motech Trax brackets and SYS case conversion hardware 62D79A1A-BCA7-4FCE-99E6-649FCF229996.jpeg 3145743F-11AF-4A17-8D2A-3F19DADB82E8.jpeg 6386C36D-B881-4D05-9326-EBA1C7726357.jpeg 96785F11-5376-481C-82AD-FB4F5191DB71.jpeg
    18415, AJ41 and handensco like this.
  12. SmellmyMule

SmellmyMule Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like that guy's style. I'd start at the bitchin 'stitch tent and go from there. Sounds fun, enjoy!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. SC-Surfer

SC-Surfer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I installed a TFX rear shock from Beemer Shop. I'm really excited to get some miles on it and see how it feels. My factory shock had 75k on it. Probably nothing left but a little spring. Install was easy and it has 3 way adjustment as well as preload. Seems a really nice bit of kit.

...however...

While I was working on that I noticed quite a lot of rotational free play in the rear wheel. As I rotated it there were clunks and a squeak. Hmmmm... Pulled back the front boot and rotated the wheel. The U joint in the front of the shaft was practically falling out of the spider. I called Ted Porter and checked stock on the rebuildable shaft. They had one in stock so I tore into the bike. Had the old shaft out in about 15 min. Swingarm had a bunch of needles from the bearings in the bottom of it. The front joint is blown. Metal on the cups is blue from heat. One cup is completely worn away and the joint was rubbing on the spider. No idea how much longer that would have lasted but it measures in the hundreds of miles max, definitely not thousands. I've been a few places where a failure would have been VERY unpleasant. Super glad I caught it before it blew up and grenaded the swingarm!

Now here's the rub...

When I got the bike it made some clunking and banging when shifting. Especially when downshifting at stops. I took it in to a VERY well respected mechanic locally and had them do a major service and also specifically asked them to look over everything top to bottom so. Also when getting on and off the throttle there was a clunk like there was a lot of slop in the drivetrain somewhere. I specifically asked them about the clunking. The report back was that it sounded 'normal' and all BMWs sound like that. Bag of hammers and all. This being my first BMW I just shrugged it off and tried to get used to all the noise. This was maybe 1800 miles ago.

Now that I have replaced the shaft I can say with certainty the the driveshaft was going out when I got it. It now does not make the sounds it did when I bought it. MUCH quieter. I can still hear the transmission clunk a little but nothing like before. In addition the the noises being gone, I'm 90% sure that there was no new grease on the splines. they were almost dry. I'm super bummed that I paid for a najor service and a once-over and they either didn't even check the driveshaft or just left it to fail later.

...and THIS is why I prefer to do my own work whenever I have the time!!!
    ChicoProf, AZgman, jdub and 1 other person like this.
  14. FLY-DOG

FLY-DOG Retired and enjoying it!

Oddometer:

So much for your local VERY well respected mechanic. I'm happy for you that you caught the driveshaft before it failed while driving at speed, or way out in the boonies.

P.S. Looks like you are driving distance to Ted Porter. :-)
    mepilot likes this.
  15. SC-Surfer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Local shop is well respected and handles the CHP bikes and local LEO bikes as well as us civilians. They are recommended by pretty much everyone around here. I'm not naming names because I don't think they deserve it. It really does make me lose trust in them though. If I didn't live 10 min from the Beemer Shop I'd be off the road for a few days. Instead, I'm back riding tomorrow. Can't say enough good stuff about Ted and the crew.
    slow24 likes this.
  16. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up my wife in Glacier yesterday and today rode into Great Falls.

Parking lot at the Hampton is full of bikes. Looks to be a good time this weekend!

IMG_7160.jpg
  17. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of bikes here at the South bridge Suites as well. I heard 4,000 pre registrations at the Rally and over 1,000 day passes already sold for Saturday. Riding in today there were way more BMW's of all Hills than Harleys for certain.
  18. Mark.Vule

Mark.Vule Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New windscreeen (touratech M), new low tone horn and sw backrest
    IMG_20210624_100600.jpg IMG_20210624_102151.jpg IMG_20210624_095549.jpg IMG_20210624_094002.jpg IMG_20210624_082458.jpg IMG_20210624_080745.jpg
  19. 12pack

12pack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dropped 1.jpg

OOOPS!

Dropped it going to work this morning tired , standing next to it, getting it off the centerstand.

I will deal with it after work. Unbelievable... HAHAHA
    ausfahrt, 309 and sonnystile like this.
  20. SC-Surfer

Oddometer:
    Ouch. I’ve done that, you’re not alone.
    Arbolmano likes this.