What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are obviously a thinking man. I however am not.
    I’m more of a ‘here, gimme that hammer’ kind of guy. These shocks come with absolutely no instructions. One is thrown to the wind and belching of every shade tree mechanic that wanders by.
    “Here’s a beer, …. Which way do YOU think it goes?”
    ‘tis why duct tape, JB weld and a hammer are so important in ones tool kit.

On a high note, I was admiring the engineering marvel of my Lone Rider headlight guard. It is fantastically expensive so you know it’s good!
    On a lark I fell to distraction and decided to clean it.

01AF6869-5613-4C98-8288-A54FEEDE0C39.jpeg

The ability to separate the layers and clean between them …… well it’s something only a Harley owner could truly appreciate.
    so for sh*ts and giggles I lit her up to see the marvelous display of my 2 wheeled Christmas tree.

6E42B5E0-8306-4AFD-830A-E06CCFE8E158.jpeg 72AD3EA6-0F61-4959-88BE-79E9E9EF4725.jpeg

The Italiano short turn stalks…. The white lens swap on the Denali’s for my upcoming saddle sore ‘lite’ overnighter to Salt Lake; yes. She’s coming together nicely-WWWWWWHAT?!?!?!

The left turn signal went out.
    Bump - wiggle - wiggle …….. ugh! I guess Italian and German connectors don’t play well together. So much for plug n play.
    Nothing that a good ol’ nippers and Harbor Freight weld-o-matic in my capable hands can’t fix!

3BE762C0-16CF-48BB-A95A-B254B1B3F739.jpeg
    77BB878B-CEAD-4B95-B1CA-2540EFE053C0.jpeg 6D0E9DBF-D1F7-48EC-9CFD-A19C61E9519F.jpeg

It’s 11:51 a.m. and Charlie wonders just how long am I gonna dink around here before he can go for a walk. is it too early for an IPA yet?
    I think not.

image.jpg
    ChicoProf, handensco, 309 and 4 others like this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    It’s TOO late now but that headlight guard is likely Lexan which LOVES micro-abrasions Here’s a cleaning guide for it - https://www.usplastic.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx?contentkey=573

With enough abuse, it’ll cloud up pretty bad and need replacing. AltRider and presumably Lone Rider will sell you a cut piece that makes the headlight shine like new again.
  3. Zubb

Oddometer:
    ^^ by the way, on those Lone Rider knobs that pop in and out of the rubber grommet so you can swing open and clean the layers . . ? . . ?

Just a little dab of red bearing grease #73856194b-YX will greatly enhance your opening and closing pleasure. A dobbin on each of the 4 little posts will help you not grunt and swear when trying to actuate the swing-gate. Could also keep you from breaking the clear plate due to over exuberance (like some knucklehead not-to-be-named did once).
    ATCguy, Covert and AdamChandler like this.
  4. Zubb

Oddometer:
    DAMMIT! It says right there in all caps . . . DO NOT USE GASOLINE.

Oh well.
    Good thing I only clean screens, lenses, anything that I have to look through . . . with Plexus or with Novus. Both of which are on the good list at link referenced above.
    I seem to have a near lifetime supply of both laying around in various cans and spray bottles. No wonder I'm almost broke.
    ChicoProf, AdamChandler and mikegc like this.
  5. Zubb

Oddometer:
    ^ Pro-tip. The Novus product is on par with Plexus.
    Plexus is about $2,621.00 per gallon.

Novus is about "free" by comparison

I bought a half dozen little 1 oz spray bottles and a dozen little lens cleaning cloths. Filled the little bottles with Novus and rubber banded a cloth around it. Tossed them in each car, a couple places on the bike, in the work bench, et. al.

You're welcome.
    rider1150gsadv and AdamChandler like this.
  6. Zubb

Oddometer:
    As mentioned earlier. . . the Plexus trick was taught to me by an old wealthy Gold Winger. The Novus trick was more recently taught to me by an old smart Gold Winger.

** note: "old" is a term referencing the presence of gray hair, various body scars and the light smell of alcohol. Not necessarily in that order.
    309 likes this.
  7. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea lexon brand does scratch easily. I got a piece of makrolon and it's been good so far
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. ScottyKM

ScottyKM Living the dream

Oddometer:
    Spent Friday night fitting new LED bulbs. first bulb, the spring clip pinged out. Great. No room to get my hands in to refit, so had an adventure stripping the whole front end out to get the headlight unit out.
    One of the previous owners had fitted a cockpit cowl and touratech screen assembly. So that was fun.
    Couple of hours worth of swearing and cursing and it was all done.
    Awesomely bright and a huge improvement on the stock

plus side. Cheapo Amazon LED’s are bright as F.

View attachment 3086996

View attachment 3086998
  9. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Still Lost

Oddometer:
    I was able to do it without removing airbox. You have to pull it back but it’s not necessary to remove it.
  10. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now knowing tractive is based out of the Netherlands, things will be easier explaining to my Dutch wife why I need new suspension. Herself and my mother in law will love the treat sent. All will be forgotten
    rider1150gsadv, Zubb and Callisto224 like this.
  11. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Today I rode way up above treeline on a nice old rocky potholed road. On the way back down my rear Ohlins shock blew. Fawk. Was a long ride home on my hardtail GS but I was still held up by Jeeps.

Had that shock rebuilt about a year ago. Hopefully those guys will help me out.

It had packed down so much that the spring was almost completely compressed. I got to ride it back down the rocks and potholes like that. Hard on the knees. By the time I got home it had extended back out but bouncing it feels like there’s next to no damping. I’ll look at it some more after time and beer.
  12. SC-Surfer

SC-Surfer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL. You're a better man than I. That looked like a PROCESS. Much more entertaining to read though!
  13. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Never mind your bike ie. drinking "adventures" - did doggo get all of its snaccs at regularly scheduled times as well as some exercizin'? :D

You didn't forget about that didja, like you forgot how to properly orientate the shocks before installation... :lol3
    SmittyBlackstone, Zubb and ATCguy like this.
  14. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Yeh I actually did the same. Still gotta remove all the chit from it to do so.
  15. toddhollander

toddhollander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fat Grips for my new 1250 GSA.....
    I bought some ProGrips 714 and with the help of a friend, put them on some bar stock, on a lathe and cut off the ends.
    Got 'em real hot in water in the microwave, a little soap on the edge of the stock grip, and slid (muscled) them over the stock grips.
    A little safety wire for esthetics, and they are nice and comfy.
    The heated grips take a little extra time heat up, but they are still too hot on #5!
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    ontrip, m931a2, mikegc and 3 others like this.
  16. postoak2112

postoak2112 Javalina

Oddometer:
    buzzed by COTA today and had the outer areas all to myself! then i just kept going through open gates until i found myself right by the track
    on a downhill turn! then the big F1 style cars came by! holy sh*t that was fun and no one even bothered me. IMG_9076.jpeg
  17. Mark.Vule

Mark.Vule Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New shoes... Continental trail attack 3

IMG_20210719_142536.jpg
    ausfahrt, ExxonValdez, Velko and 5 others like this.
  18. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you used the Novus product on a helmet face shield? How well does it work (and which Novus product would you use to clean/polish a face shield)? Thanks!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  19. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice, those may be my next tires. The multiple sets of original Trail Attacks and TA2s that I'd used previously were probably overall my favorite tires between ease of spooning on/off, pavement performance wet/dry and tread life (> 10k miles on each).
  20. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    This is good advice for cleaning face shields also. Lexan which is a trade name for Polycarbonate is a miracle material, but it's Achilles heel is it's susceptibility to chemicals and it scratches easier than acrylic.
    I have used Spray Cleaner, formally called Honda Bright to clean the face shield of my Klim helmet and it caused cracks to form around the pin lock pins, both my clear and tinted shields :baldy